Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: WATER CHANGES ARE CRITICAL

I have become a 1 person bucket brigade.
    My tanks only have sponge filters at the moment so I have to be very good about my water changes. My 55 only has 3 fish@4 inches each and a few inverts, so I only change about 25% weekly. My 10gal has a much heavier bio load so it gets 30-50% weekly. I have come up with a method that works for now. After I vac I put a 5gal bucket on a stand higher than my tank and start a siphon from the bucket into the tank. I then run back and forth from the sink to the 5 gal bucket with 5 quart ice cream buckets. I put the dechlor directly into the tank before I start adding the water, if I think I removed say 15 gal I add dechlor for 18-20 gals. I have constant issues with ammonia because my water has .25ppm streight from the tap.
    Power filters are in my not to distant future. Just gotta squeeze it out of the budget.
    Dorothy

10 gal planted, 12Endlers Livebearers + fry, 2 green corries, 1 Kuhli loach, 2 black mystery snails, 4 ghost shrimp

55gal lightly planted, 1 Bala shark, 1 Pictus cat, 1 CAE (all 4 in), 2 gold inca snails, 2 ghost shrimp (waiting for cichlids)

Life is what happens to you when you are busy making other plans.~John Lennon

If you want to see God laugh, just tell him your plans.~Van Zant

What good is knowledge and information if it is not shared?

If guns kill then I can blame misspelled words on my keyboard.

i use 1 five gallon buckit to change the old water.i use a basic two inch hose and fill the buckit up 3 or four times. i use 2 15 gallon plastic containers for the new water and i use prime to treat the water.i then use an ehiem water pump to fill the tank back up takes about 15 min to clean my tanks.very easy.i dont like adding water to the tank without it being treated

Heres what i do to make water changes easy.

I have a 50 foot python and i use it to clean the tank and suck out the water. The end of my python drains the water into a bath tub in the other room. You never have to pay attention to overflowing a bathtub. For the new water I bought ten 5 gallon water jugs like you see on top of water coolers ex. Ozarka or Sparkletts. Fill them up, declorinate, and pour into the tank. 45lbs of water might be a little heavy for some or women. After you finish your water change you can refill those "jugs" and delorinate and store them for the next use because they have a cap

Works for me . Hope this helps someone new in the hobby
    100 gallon
    2 emp 400's
    1 fluval 305
    lace r0ck
    carabic sea substrate
    26 bowfront with an emp 400 with 2 breeding kribensis
    55 gallon with an ac110 and a xp3 with 4 calvus

I found marking the side of the tank near the corner with what gallon it is very easy to measure how much chem I need to add. If I drain 30 gal of water out of my 75 gal tank then I need to mix
    45 gal worth of start right or something to take out the clorine or clorimines or to add the right amount of salt. I hate having to guess how much water did I drain or need to fill. But this is mu two cents worth.
    Cheers Thor

Default now I'm feeling guilty

I guess I've been a bit lax. I have been doing 20% water changes every other month, but I've only had it for six months. The tank is a 55 gallon with a few mbuna & 1 catfish. Everything looks fine from my limited view (test kit looks ok, water is clear, no smell, etc) so at this point will I make things worse by starting to do bigger water changes and more often?

It's never too late to step up water changes. You can safely change out 40% at a time if need be. It's best to keep your nitrates as low as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by maccichlid View Post
    at least when i smack you, it will be with a prize-worthy koi, not some common carp.

Glad to hear it. I was just afraid that I would change things in an effort to make it better, only to have my fish go belly up.

I've been out of aquariums for more than 10 years and there were no forums like this back then. I'm setting up my 75 gal now and getting ready to add fish. This one thread alone would have saved me many hours. I use to keep a 150 gal salt, 75 cichlid, and a 30 gal and 20 gal for breeding. I mixed the water in a 50 gal garbage can and put a heater and power head to keep temp right for water change the next day. I didn't know people put dechlorinator and water straight in the tanks. I'll never get those hours back . It will surely be what I do now that I read it. I guess I was doing it the right way but would have added it straight if I knew it would work. THANKS!!!!!!!

PS. Excited about getting back in....

glad you found the thread useful--welcome back to the hobby!
    one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish...omigod!! a whole lotta fish!!(mbuna tank)

"Ya shark-toothed salmon! Ya hammer-headed halibut!"--Yosemite Sam

"Ah hates dragons. Dragons is so dumb!--Yosemite Sam

I have to agree, the discussion of ideas on this topic is very beneficial for noobs and those of us getting back into the hobby after many years.

I really like the idea of putting a clean garbage container beside the aquarium for the new water going into the aquarium

I also just realized a use for that powerhead that I wasn't using. I'll use it to get prepared water from the container to the aquarium. I could fill the container the day before with clean water and leave it over night with a heater in it and in the morning just add the power head and wait for it to finish. Or, leave the powerhead in there all night too for aeration for dechlorination

Thanks for the ideas.

it's very gratifying to know that we have supplied useful info...thanks for saying so.
    one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish...omigod!! a whole lotta fish!!(mbuna tank)

"Ya shark-toothed salmon! Ya hammer-headed halibut!"--Yosemite Sam

"Ah hates dragons. Dragons is so dumb!--Yosemite Sam

[QUOTE=jonah;51]I like to change 100% every day. Sure, it upsets the fish, but the water looks great.

Truthfully, I usually change about 40%-50% every 7-10 days. After all these years, I still think my Python was the best aquatic purchase ever. [/QUOTE

without a python , i could not keep my fish , i love to many types and to change close to 300 gallons every week , without it ..not a chance !@!

my water chemical balances are great but i lost two fish today they are new to the tank since friday do you know why i may have suddenly lost these fish i change 25% water weekly . so i am wondering could i have purchased two fish that came home with a disease Or??? any suggestions

Is your tank cycled?
    The photocontest, like everything else is behind schedule. You get some links back today.

yes we do water changes every week 25-50 %