Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: WATER CHANGES ARE CRITICAL

A friend of mine swears his household water filter (under sink installed type) takes the chlorine/chloromine out of the water & only costs about $300AU. One of these with a long clear hose seems to work very well for him.

Edit: Like this --> Britta web site

Edit again: They only have a very limited life, they only have enough filtration for 100g
    Last edited by Ash; 04-06-2004 at 07:25 PM.
    New World Cichlid Fan

Default Re: For large tanks

Originally posted by 83Street
    What I have found that works is buying a new 45-60 gallon trash can, filling it with water prior to gravel vaccing and water changing, adding the appropriate amount of dechlornator, removing the water from the tank, then adding the prepared water. This takes the guess work out of how much dechlorinator to add and is more practical for the larger tanks (75g+). The temperature might be a little hard to determine but I have learned over time what 78-80 degress Farenheit feels like and how to achieve that temperature through my tap

I do maybe 30-40% water changes biweekly on my 60G and fill my trash can to half capacity to change about 20-25G of the water
    Oh yeah, I use Kordon NovAqua and use 2-3 teaspoons to detoxify the tap water.

Warning: Make sure you buy a NEW trash can and that it is clearly marked for AQUARIUM USE only.
    I really like this idea and I could be helped by using a Mag Drive Pump with a high gph rating (3600 gph goes for under $180) and just fill the trash can and then pump it into the tank with VERY minimal time. Anyone do this?

The trash can idea seems logical. If your house has more than one floor, you could also place the trash can on a higher level than your tank and siphon the treated water from the trashcan into the tank using the long hose of the Python.
    Don't.....Get.....ELIMINATED!!!

What's a python???
    SEVERUMS!!!!YEAH!!!!WOOOOO!!!!SHAKE IT!!!!

one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish...omigod!! a whole lotta fish!!(mbuna tank)

"Ya shark-toothed salmon! Ya hammer-headed halibut!"--Yosemite Sam

"Ah hates dragons. Dragons is so dumb!--Yosemite Sam

There are some people who just use air to dissapate the Chlorine as any type of chemical you add to your tanks end up breaking down into waste product.
    I had a friend who had breeding discuss and Angels and never used dechlor as he used his python to shoot air into the tank thereby releasing Chlorine out.
    I do both though. I use Bio-Coat as there is no "goo" just dechlor and vitamins.

Also here is where my belly gets ripped out :

I beleive that water change schedules depends on your bioload.
    If your tank has 0 amno 0 nitirite and 0 nitrate then most likely at that time you don't need to do a water change..but you need be consistant in testing your water weekly.

I have 4 HOT magnums in my 55 gallon: one holds carbon, one holds the polisher, one holds lavarock for a bio-bed and the other holds aquaclear's foam blocks for extra dirt trapping and bio-bed.
    Having lots of filtration with lots of bio-beds really help, but yes you still need to do water changes. If you don't want to test all the time, best bet is do the weekly, but I test all the time and usually is a good stocked tank, its about every other week that the water needs to be changed. I usually do about 80% every other week, sometimes 50% weekly depends on whats going on in my life at the time LOL.

Geez I rememeber a long time ago...and some people my age still do this...they(and hey I did too) changed their tank water like once a month and only 25% and never tested and stuff. How on earth those fish survived is beyond me LOL. I've been keeping fish for 15 years and things have changed ALOT during that time. For the better at least. ;) Lots more species to choose from too!

Hi: I'm new here and new with african cichlids, ecerybody has a different opinion on water changes.................very confusing when your starting out..........I was changing my water every week 10%, and water was foggy, I was told to leave it alone, and only make a change once a month.................. So I did not change my water and lost my yellow lab, not sure if that is the reason. Could it be????

my tank is 30 gallon, and I had 8 cichlid..................

you didn't give your tank adequate time to cycle from what you are saying. also, that is too many africans for a 30 gallon, imo.

you probably had an ammonia spike that was too high for the fish to handle... probably because it wasn't cycled well...
    Visit my site for updated pet list and pictures!
    http://www.sitekreator.com/punkypuffer/index.html

what should I do next?? I don't want to lose any other fish.I also added holey rocks from the pet shop, the guy said just rinse them under water and put them in the tank...................

start by going to the "beginner's forum" and reading the stickies at the top of the page.
    one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish...omigod!! a whole lotta fish!!(mbuna tank)

Default water aditives and the python

Originally posted by jonah
    After all these years, I still think my Python was the best aquatic purchase ever.
    How do you add your water additives to the tank when filling with the python? do you just put them in the tank and fill it up or is there some sort of screening process that you do so the untreated tap water doesnt mix in with the treated tank water?
    WAZZZZ-UPers

if you read from the beginning of the thread, you will see the different ways that people handle it.

Sorry, after posting this thread I realized I should have read the whole topic first. My bad!
    WAZZZZ-UPers

I have never dechlorinated my water since I have had the tank running and his is through american and african cichlids. (so over six years) and I have been fortunate in not having a problem

I have my tank on the second floor of my house so i just use a basic gravel vacuum attached to a garden hose. I route the hose down the stairs out the front door to the flower bed(2 birds one stone...drain tank, water flowers.....flowers seem to like it as well). Then when I refill I just attach the hose to the sink tap and filler up adding any chemicals directly to the tank. If you know how much your changing then there is no guess work as to dosage.