Thread: How often do Oscars lay eggs?

Default How often do Oscars lay eggs?

I had my oscar for about a year and suddenly, it began moving large slate rocks in the tank, and some other odd behavior. It laid eggs within a couple days. I have no male, so the eggs eventually disappeared in a few more days.

I found a local lady that has 3 oscars she's getting rid of, and one she says is most likely a male. My Oscar is now doing the shaking motions again, as it did before laying eggs before. It's been about a 2 weeks since the last egg laying.

Would it lay eggs again that soon?

I'd like to have a male here in time, if it's going to be soon.

I don't see why not. But you may want to make sure that the other is a male or else you may have a fight on your hands
    never follow, never lead

so if I did get 2 females in a tank together, they would fight? The one I have isn't very aggressive at all. It threatens the other fish with open mouth a couple times a day, but never does damage to them. It did battle a bit with a pacu I used to have, but that was only when the pacu got big enough that it didn't like the open mouth threats anymore.

I have a couple small fish in with this one, like a 3.5" ciclid, and the ciclid is very comfortable around the oscar.

The problem with cichlids is that they are almost always more aggressive to thier own kind. Aggression in Oscars doesn't really change by sex, both males and females can be equally aggressive.
    never follow, never lead

The lady that has the other oscars may agree to let me "try" one out...and reserve space for it if there's too much fighting that happens.

You know...even though these are common fish, I have had difficulty finding people on message boards that know about them and will answer questions.

By the way how big is she? I had mine foe about a year. I noticed that they like to dig and fight. I have 3 oscars in a 55. I hope my oscars lay eggs.
    2pac 4 ever

Hey guys i got a question. I have 3 oscars in a 55 and 2 in a 75. Well the ones in the 55. i have 7'' lutino, 5'' albino, 6'' common. I noticed that the lutino and the the albino have a little tube thing comming out from underneath there bellies. Does this mean there 2 girls or 2 boys? they like to dig together buy this flat rock but they do lip lock sometimes. I noticed that they like to pick on the common. i noticed that the common has no tube thing underneath. He does not fight back or nothing. then in the 75 i have a 5'' lutino and 6'' red oscar. the lutino has that tube thing too. But the red doesnt it just has 2 little holes underneath like the common. Please tell me that thats the way to sex oscars!
    2pac 4 ever