Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enantiopus kilesa

Default Enantiopus kilesa

I have not photographed my wild Enantiopus kilesa group in a while. I added a lot more sand to the tank and I am glad that I did. The dominant male has begun displaying again and building his "sand castles." Only this time, they are larger

Here is a tank shot of the 72 gallon bow front tank that I keep the wild kilesa in.
    I put the light off to the side so it would cast shadows on the sand castles to make them easier to see.
    Notice the concentric circles

Here is a similar shot only zoomed in a bit. I also put some dots on the sand castles so you can see the pattern. The dominant male, when displaying, will shovel the sand out of the center of his pit. He will build 8 to 9 sand castles at the perimeter (the blue dots) and then he will work on an outer circle (red dots). The male will chase everyone else away from the center of the pit and he will try to attract a female and entice her into spawning by shimmering on his side reflecting the lights. Enantiopus kilesa is one of the most interesting cichlid species to watch.

Not long after I took this picture, he began building the castle next to the glass on the far right. Last time I checked, it was about 4" high!

Couple pictures of the dominant male displaying

Probably won't be long before I have some more kilesa fry

Hope you enjoyed the series.

Russ

Wow breathtaking fish!! Looks like crop circles or something!! Lol. Great description and pics.. Hope you get sum fry soon!!

Beautiful fish!
    Also great photographer

Thank you for the kind words you guys

I'll post more pics later this week. I have two 10 gallon tanks full of kilesa fry from these guys. I plan to move both groups into one 30 gallon tank later this week. I'll take some pics at that time.

CYL,
    Russ

Awesome man, just simply stunning.

As promised, here's a few pics of my F1 Enantiopus kilesa fry

Group A are all approaching 2-inches in length (approx, 5 months old) and I am making plans to move them, from the 10-gallon tank, into a 30 gallon long tank and combining them with Group B.

Here is Group A on 11/29/11

F1 Enantiopus kilesa (Group A)

Here is a shot of Group B (also in a 10-gallon tank)
    F1 Enantiopus kilesa (Group B)

Thanks,
    Russ

Default Defiantly in luv

hey... I have been fallowing your thread since you posted this awesome pics for your fish and ever since i have been looking to buy some and finally just yesterday i bought a couple of young F1 breeding pairs ^_^ and I am hoping to add more females later on in the future if i find some. your fish and those awesome pics were defiantly what made me fall n love with these fish and deciding to buy some. if you have any tips how to breed these guys i will really appreciate it. thank you

Quote Originally Posted by ialtalal View Post
    ...if you have any tips how to breed these guys i will really appreciate it...
    Lot's of open space with a very fine sand. Good lighting too as this will trigger a mature male to start digging his pit and building his sand castles. Once he does this, that will trigger mature females into spawning. A good diet will also help. Hope that helps

...I am hoping to add more females later on in the future if i find some...
    If you find some???? Please take another look at the F1 fry pictures in this thread, I'd say you found some mate ;)

Btw: There is only a handful of people in the continental US that can honestly say that they have wild Enantiopus kilesa. Therefore, the pool of people who can honestly offer you F1 kilesa is equally as small (assuming their wild caught kilesa are still breeding). This is THE very reason I chose to taken advantage of an offer by a good friend to take over his wild caught group. As far as I can tell, I am one of two (possibly three) people in the US with true F1 Enantiopus kilesa fry.

Russ

i agree with you not too many people have these guys around. thankfully the guy i got them from is a very well trusted source which made me go with them ^_^. i already have them in a nice tank size by themselves to make them a lot comfortable and nice lighting and like you said fine sand as they seems to really enjoy it in the new tank. Are you selling some of the fry you have? if you are let me know plz. and thank you for the info

i agree with you not too many people have these guys around. thankfully the guy i got them from is a very well trusted source which made me go with them ^_^. i already have them in a nice tank size by themselves to make them a lot comfortable and nice lighting and like you said fine sand as they seems to really enjoy it in the new tank. Are you selling some of the fry you have? if you are let me know plz. and thank you for the info
    Yes

REALLY :-) are you selling group A or B from above? how much you are asking for them?

what kind of sand are using?

REALLY :-) are you selling group A or B from above? how much you are asking for them?
    • Group A are approx 2" and are for sale.
    • Group B will not be for sale until they reach at least 1.5" (which should be within the next month).

I do sell my fry and I am a very experienced shipper; however, I do not believe the forums are the appropriate place to sell fish. If you are interested in purchasing some of my fish, please shoot me a PM and we can take it from there.

Thank you,
    Russ

Nice looking fish my fellow Hoosier! Always good to see some quality breeders close to home. Hard to find good fish in my area unless they come from down the Indy way and sometimes in Kendallville.
    Hello. And welcome! Will work for Victorians!!
    My first video!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vrczj...ature=youtu.be

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff F. View Post
    Nice looking fish my fellow Hoosier! Always good to see some quality breeders close to home. Hard to find good fish in my area unless they come from down the Indy way and sometimes in Kendallville.
    Hey Jeff,

Right back at ya

Russ