Thread: Starting Dubousi tank. Any tips??!!

Default Starting Dubousi tank. Any tips??!!

So I'm finally starting a Tang tank. A member from a club that I'm a member of is hooking me up with some Dubosi juvies for $2 each so couldn't pass up the deal. I'm breaking down my 55 Mbuna tank and moving them to seperate tanks. My 4 yellow tails Accei's to a 20 long and my 2 peacocks. I'm keeping 3 Saulosi 1/M, 2/F and putting them into a 10G..
    So I'm just seeing if I can get some pointers on taking care of these fish. Any advice would be appreciated!! I know these are difficult fish to have and that they get bloat easily.
    I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that everything goes well. I'll be getting them on Sat.. About 12 of them.
    I really wanted the Moori ones because there Beautiful but at about $35 a pop!!!! Way too much for me to spend right now.. Nice to dream though!!
    Might throw a few GOBIES in there in the future!! He He....

I wouldn't keep a group of any Tropheus in a 55, minimum size would be a 75 or 90 gallon. They'll be alright for a while until they gorw out a bit, but not in the long haul.

There still juvies. Black with white poka dots. Also am planning on getting a 90 gallon in Feb with my tax money!! The guy that is selling them to me has his Dubosi in a 55. 14 adult ones and there fine.? They breed like crazy!! The pet shops in his area are turning him down so he's posting them on craigslist now..

Choos3n,

Although a 55 is not ideal, it will suffice for a few months as a grow out tank. Here are some pointers:

Forget about any tank mates other than the duboisi and increase the amount from 12 to 20 (18 minimum).

Aquascape sparingly. Create groups of single level stones as opposed to multi-level, stacked stones. Fifty percent of the substrate, covered by single layered large stones, will work better than many caves, lessoning the number of territories as they begin sorting out their pecking order. As they grow and you move them to bigger quarters (which you will, trust me) they will re-establish a new hierarchy in their new surroundings.

Donít feed them for the first day or two and inquire to the type/brand of food they are being fed now and keep them on that diet until they settle in. If necessary, ask the seller for a small bag until you can locate it yourself. Resist the urge to overfeed. They learn quickly you are their source of food and beg like hungry puppies. Keep in mind; a hungry Tropheus is a healthy Tropheus. Propagate algae growth on the rocks for them to graze on; it is their natural instinct/behavior to feed from the rocks.

I do not promote other sites but for great Tropheus information, visit http://trophs.com/index.php and read, read and read some more. You will thoroughly enjoy keeping Tropheus they are fascinating fish. You must respect their special requirements regarding diet, clean turbulent water and their aggression as they form their social structure.

(Just my opinion, you are being unfair to your current fish by squeezing them into conditions that are insufficient for them, much less any cichlid. If you are serious about keeping Tropheus, trade your other fish into the LFS for supplies or get another 55 and keep them.)

Regards, and welcome to Tropheus, the crack cocaine of cichlids.
    -Gary
    Visit my You Tube aquarium channel
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ge2655h20?feature=mhum

I took into consideration about my current fish..�� I'm getting rid of my Accei 1M/3F. I will just be putting 1M/2F Saulosi into the 20 long. I will be getting rid of the rest of the Saulosi. I'm putting the 2 Peacocks into my 30 which only have 4 yellow labs, 1 hongi and 1 peacock.
    The Accei are a breeding group that breed constantly. But are a pain cause the male destroys my aquascape. Moving my substrate from one side to the other in the tank!!

Also I was offered a 75 for $250. Will be looking into it tomorrow!! ��

7. Default

I was just gonna say the 20L will be a better solution for the saulosi...A while back I sold my 55 and got rid of all my saulosi escept for1m/2fm . He terrorized the two females In the 10 gal. And I had it crammed with cichlid stones and slate.....I ended up trading them in. I had to start fresh with10 juvies when I got a larger tank available

Well I was breaking down the tank cuz I couldn't get any Saulosi females . I originally got 6 males and 12 females. Over the past year sum females died and like 6 turned into males!! So I'm left with like 10 males and 2 females..
    So change of plans!! No Dubosi yet! My Saulosi finally breed and I tried stripping for the first time with success!! 26 fry!!! OMG!! YES!!!
    When they grow out into juvies I'll be getting rid of adults and starting over!! My Accei are carrying also but that's normal!! There non stop