Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Tangs, Shellies!!!

Default New Tangs, Shellies!!!

New Neolamprologus Multifasciatus. These belonged to the owner of the LFS. He said he cleared his multi tank out in his fish room for something else a while back and ended up missing some. Before he knew it, he had tons again... these are some of the horde.

Funny story about the purchase...

I asked for mostly smaller fish with a big one or two and proceeded to make my normal walk around the store keeping my eyes open for shells for these guys. The person working was the "fill in" guy, still knowledgeable but didn't know what was in the store, and he couldn't find any shells either so I talked him into selling me 2 from the bottom of the tank. I wanted more but he didn't want to sell them all and get into trouble, lol.

We managed to get the 6 fish and 2 shells into the container slow enough to back up his counter, so he took a break from me and went away to help others (one of the down sides of being a regular but I don't mind). When he came back he quickly poured everything into one bag before I had a chance to stop him. I wanted the shells in a different bag than the fish because of the hour or so drive home. We removed the shells and then there were only 5 fish in the bag. Duh, one is in the shell. I filled both of the shells up with water and could feel one of them start to "flop" around. I dumped the water out of the shell and 2 fish come sliding out, lol. The extra one had to have been in the shell the whole time! LFS still only charged me for 6 at the discounted price + 2 shells.

Here the kicker. I got home, put the shells into the tank, and started to acclimate the new fish. When I came back to transfer the fish into the tank, there were already some multis in there... boy am I glad I put those shells into a bag full of water before I left the store! After the extra stowaways I ended up with 11 fish total...

I need more shells!

I really hate the lights in this hood, I can't find any "white" bulbs that are the same size and only 15w like it calls for. Its not as bad as the pics make it look, but still yellow enough to make me want whiter light. I'm also dying for a speedy macro lens!

Im new to tank myself and was told to have atleast 4-5 shells per multi
    10gal - F1 Aul sp Lwanda Fry
    20gal - F1 Aul Flavescent (Recovering)
    20gal - Cyno Zebroides Chimate Fry
    29gal - Multis
    50gal - WC Aul Lwanda Breeding Group 1m/3f
    50gal - BNP fry, Cyno sp Lion Fry
    55gal - Met OB Blueberry Zebra Slim, Cyno Zebroides Chimate, Cyno sp Lion "Lions Cove"
    72gal - Bemba Flame Tropheus, Simichromis Babaulti
    125gal - All Male Hap/Peacock Tank

http://www.riftfish.com

No worries about the shells, I'm planning on putting LOTS more in. 6 o'clock on a Sunday isn't the best time to find shells, let alone an open store, lol. As I said, the guy that was working at the store would only sell me 2... I expected them to have extra for sale and didn't think I would get some right out of the tank; blessing in disguise. One of them was occupied right from the start (one of the extra fish). I'm thinking its been her shell for a while; she seems reluctant to come out... eggs in there maybe?

I don't work until noon tomorrow so a shell run is in order I think, plus those bulbs in that hood are driving me nuts. Where is the best place to find shells? I'm yet to see them in a pet store (unless their painted or something dumb like that for hermit crabs). I was thinking a craft store or something, Michaels maybe?

Ya i would try a crafts store
    10gal - F1 Aul sp Lwanda Fry
    20gal - F1 Aul Flavescent (Recovering)
    20gal - Cyno Zebroides Chimate Fry
    29gal - Multis
    50gal - WC Aul Lwanda Breeding Group 1m/3f
    50gal - BNP fry, Cyno sp Lion Fry
    55gal - Met OB Blueberry Zebra Slim, Cyno Zebroides Chimate, Cyno sp Lion "Lions Cove"
    72gal - Bemba Flame Tropheus, Simichromis Babaulti
    125gal - All Male Hap/Peacock Tank

http://www.riftfish.com

Found some at the crafts store and managed to soak them and put them in the tank. Less than half in the package were useable (others were flat shells or ocean shells I didn't want to use; to marine looking). I'll post more pics tonight. Ill still take more suggestions on where to find more shells.

Very cool.
    Need to upload a cichlid photo? Check out the Cichlid Gallery, it is free and easy to use.
    Best of all, you don't have to leave this forum to access it!

Cichlid Gallery - Fin Rot Treatment - What Did You Do Today? - What Spawned For You Today?

Nikon D800 | Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 OS | Yongnuo YN-560II | Yongnuo RF-603 N3 | BrianStalterPhotography.com

Ty, here are some better pics. White balance is amazing, lol. Can you believe that's the same camera?

The shells out number the shellies now, I'm still looking for more. They have been in the tank for a little over 24hrs and the "earth moving" is already fairly apparent. I've never had any fish settle so quickly into a tank, rainbows might be the only exception! The two in the second pic have been paired off from the git go with one of the original shells (same shell in pic). Bottom ones are having a "territorial dispute".

Last edited by AO_2JZ; 10-10-2011 at 10:57 PM.

very nice!
    "Cichlids aren't aggressive, they are territorial. Aggression is a response to inadequate territory for their breeding and feeding needs."

"A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

My Tanks

3-4 of these guys are hanging closer to the top of the tank, my guess is that they have been "pushed out" of the community. I have rocks in the middle of the tank dividing it in half. The amount of excavation that they have performed in two days is amazing to look at. It seems like one group has taken over one side and another 2 groups have the other side.

Should I rearrange the tank and try to divide the tank into thirds or would adding more shells, something I'm planning on doing tonight anyways, fix the problem? Should I take them back to the store? After all, I only wanted 6 to begin with and ended up with 11 after the extras in the shells.

The "outsiders" are eating and acting normal no bullying going on until the venture down into the tank.

I have a colony going here myself all sizes lol, I can't tell for sure but you might add more shells......they will re-arrange the entire bottom so prepare for that. You can put a bigger rock or something in the back in the middle possibly. They are going to adjust please give them time. What to see how your ratio is going to end up, females are always tiny compaired to the males. You might have to take a few back, try to go 2males/3-4 females. You will love these fish, I sit and watch these guys for hours it seems. Mine as split into two sides as well but the males go back n forth amongst the group. If you feel the ones on top are not going to be welcomes back then by all means take em back. Start slowly and watch them colonize, it's just terrific. I do one big water change a week, 50% gets them to breed for me btw. Julia
    WATER CHANGE/WATER CHANGE/WATER CHANGE <~~~ My Mantra!

3-4 of these guys are hanging closer to the top of the tank, my guess is that they have been "pushed out" of the community.
    This is most likely an accurate assessment. Most likely they are additional males.

Should I rearrange the tank and try to divide the tank into thirds or would adding more shells, something I'm planning on doing tonight anyways, fix the problem
    Just add more shells but donít rearrange the aquascape.

Should I take them back to the store?
    As long as they are not being harassed, there is a chance all or some may be allowed to return to the group. If the outcasts do not assimilate back into the colony by next week or become targets of the existing colony, then you should return them.

Regards,
    -Gary
    Visit my You Tube aquarium channel
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ge2655h20?feature=mhum

Well... I added even more shells, however I didn't notice the post and made a slight move in the tank. All I did was take Julias suggestion and move the small rock pile to the back of the tank and leveled out some of the sand mounds they made to try and neutralize some of the area as I added more shells. I didn't move any existing shells.

I had hope for the small outcast because it had found a shell for a while. It ended up getting cast to the upper half of the tank in a rather brutal way... no injuries it was just a sudden rage from the male and one of the females (both came from inside the same shell to lead this attack, btw). Aside from that, I have seen no real aggression between them besides normal displaying. I think in the long run I may end up taking 4 fish back... I'm sure I'll end up with something in exchange.

The only one I can pick out of a line up is the dominant male whom controls the entire right side of the tank and majority of the females. He has battle wounds from the LFS tank. I thought they might have been something nasty or infected but I've been treating it as fin nip and it seems to be healing. As feisty as he is I'm sure he was picking some fights while holding one of the few shells at the LFS, they had LOTS more shellies than they did shells. The left side of the tank is still contested for although one female seems to have settled in to watch the contests!

With so much going on a 10 gallon tank never seemed so BIG!

Some new pics... Excluding the first pic, Top 4 are the right side of the tank with the dominant male in almost every photo. Bottom 4 are the left, contested side of the tank.

Things must have turned violent in the tank today while I was at work. I came home to a male pinned in the top corner with badly damaged fins. He seems to act normal aside from being torn up a bit. I fed them and he had his appetite, he also seems to display back at males still, perhaps that's why his fins are so bad; they aren't to the point he can't make a recovery if removed from the tank... I'm returning the banished ones in the morning, I'm not waiting any longer.

I watched for a bit and he seemed to do OK 1 on 1, or even 1 on 2, but then the biggest and new dominant male would swim, from the bottom right to the top left, to beat on him... that's who's doing all the damage. Old dominant male still has his first female and her shell and that's about it. Both of the males are on the same side of the tank and have definite boundaries drawn out through craters in the sand with shells resting inside, lol.

I turned the lights off early, after a feeding and a bit of observation, in order to keep the stress down. These guys seem to shut right down as soon as the lights go off... avoiding predators I assume. Even the ones without shells go to the bottom of the tank and curl up around a shell for safety.

Ill take more pics soon. As you said Julia, these guys keep very busy. The tank looks much different with their sand mounds everywhere! Hopefully he survives the night, I'd honestly be surprised if he doesn't, and I end up taking 4 multis back to the LFS in the morning and not 3!

AO I agree take them back .......I had a similar situation with a male who was ousted and I took him back immeidiately before he got beat up. I hope he makes it thru the night, I just dread a situation like this. Julia Keep us posted plz.
    WATER CHANGE/WATER CHANGE/WATER CHANGE <~~~ My Mantra!

Took 3 back to the store today. The fourth found a shell and hid so I couldn't get him, lol. Now hes at the top of the tank by him self. He was there (in the tank) all day and appeared fine. Well see how tomorrow goes, he may go back as well.