Thread: Jag tank decor

Default Jag tank decor

I would like some suggestions on decor for my jag tank. I did have a large vertical drift wood structure on one side, a few rocks on the other side, and a plastic cave in the middle, which covered up the heater superbly. She has since gotten large enough, that it is hard for her to get in and out of the cave holes in the front, and the driftwood inhibits her swimming space. I removed the cave two days ago during a water change, and she seems very unhappy with my decision. I really want to give her more room to swim and encourage her to be more outgoing and stay out in the open, but I don't know if I'm causing undo stress. I would also like some suggestions on how to hide the heater. I was thinking about a cave on one end, turned horizontal to the front glass, with just a few rocks in the rest of the tank. I had also considered just having a few rocks here and there and leaving the tank fairly open. The is a fairly messy fish and she loves to dig in the gravel. The fewer decorations in the tank, the easier it is to clean, and the less likely she is to scratch or cut herself trying to maneuver around. Thanks for your suggestions.
    Is this the support group for Fishaholics?

How about building her a cave out of rocks lrge enough that you can view the fish inside.How big is your jag? IME they just love to break heaters when they get big lol. An easy fix is to build a cover for the heater with pvc pipe.
    you can dress it up by glueing rocks or gravel to it with epoxy or silicon.
    MalawiGuy

My Jag is about 7" now. She is very territorial about her tank, and quickly attacks the gravel vaccum or algae scrubber when I work on her tank. I have been careful and lucky enough thus far to not get bitten. The tank is a 35 gallon, with a hex front, so it's 12" wide in the middle half of the tank, and the tank is 36" long. I built a cave on one end out of three large rocks and a large piece of slate. She seems to be warming up to it. I am working on getting a 55 gallon for her. One of my friends said if I can get her house sold, I can have her 55 gallon setup. Now that's the kind of friends I need...

The PVC around the heater is an interesting idea. I would appreciate any other contributions as well. I am tempted to remove the driftwood structure to really open the tank up, but I'm afraid she'll have an absolute fit.

Hey Chet,
    I think you better look into something much larger than a 55g.A 55g is only longer than your tank still only 12 inches deep.Do you realize just how big these fish get?
    MalawiGuy

another idea for the heather would be to drill plenty of holes in some perspex, and silicone it diaganaly accross of of the back corners of the tank with a gap at the top and bottom, and put the heaqter behind it just make sure you have a good thruput of water or you may get a hotspot, it helped when i use tinted perspex, the fish couldent make out what was behind it and left it alone. i hope i helped a little!!

BTW, as you know jags grow to 16" (or therabouts) so the maths kind figures its self out with regards to tank size.

Neil: What's "heather" and "perspex"? The only heathers I know are a plant and a girl I used to know.
    Just being for awhile.

heather, should be heater, (sometimes my brain isnt quite connected to my fingers when i type).

perspex is, and i guess this must be a uk word, is a type of thickish plastic sheeting which can be cut and drilled, only problem is that it can scratch quite easily, what would you call it in the US,

only tring to help!!

at least this little leap across the language barrier wasent embarrasing, i once asked and american friend if wanted a fag, (cigarette). mmmmmm the conversation went frosty for a little while.

[quote:e390f298b8="Neil N"]

at least this little leap across the language barrier wasent embarrasing, i once asked and american friend if wanted a fag, (cigarette). mmmmmm the conversation went frosty for a little while.[/quote:e390f298b8]

I can imagine.

Perspex might be what we call plexiglass or maybe acrylic, a couple of forms of clear plastic. Acrylic is the more expensive, stronger type of plastic.
    Just being for awhile.

I know how big Jags get, but I'm fairly certain my Jag is a female, and should max out around 12-14". I will ultimately get her a tank with a 48"x18" footprint, but with Christmas just around the corner and funding running low, the 55 will have to do for a little while. Besides, I do 30% water changes atleast weekly, often twice a week, and she still is only about 7". I beleive the water quality is very good, and she will have more space by the time she needs it. I really wish I could have gotten her a larger tank by now, but the finances have not worked out quite right. What I am really wondering is if she will be happier with lots of decoration, caves and driftwood in her tank, or if it would be better to have a minimum of decor and more swimming space instead?

Thanks for your responses and keep 'em coming...

i'd go for a mixture of the two, with decoration towards the rear corners and mabey something like a piece of driftwood centraly as well, while still leaving plenty of swimming space but then ive never been a fan of bare tanks, When did you ever see a fish swimming in a bare river or lake??, i think it can only go to cause undue stress