Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What type of Frontosa?

Default What type of Frontosa?

Im barely starting to get into the frontosa and I picked up 4 frontosa from someone but he didn't know what kind they were. The picture is of the male. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	17924   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	frontosa.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	17925  

Davym,

The stripe through the eye is a good indication of Cyphotilapia frontosa Burundi.

The fish in the photo is very nice and shows a good blue sheen throughout and especially in the lower face.

What size is that fish?
    What size are the others?
    Are you sure it is a male?
    Are they in a tank by themselves?
    What size is their tank?

Regards,
    -Gary
    Last edited by ge2655; 06-19-2011 at 11:02 AM.
    Visit my You Tube aquarium channel
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ge2655h20?feature=mhum

Default Burundi

I agree with GE. It appears that it is a Burundi variant. What size are they? At four inches you should be able to vent them. You can go to Frontosa.com and under their photo album you can look at the different Burundi variants. You can also go to Frontosa Breeding folder, the first topic labeled "How to sex/Vent frontosa" will show you pictures on how to properly vent your fish. Whats size tank are they in?

I agree, it is definitely a Burundi type and a very nice one too.

Russ

Thanks for the help guys!
    I am pretty sure he is a Male because the guy I got them from said he had gotten them at the same size and he outgrew them. Also, one of the females are holding so I got lucky and don't even have to wait to breed! The male in the picture is 5 inches and the others are around 3-3.5.
    I also have a few more questions. I already had 2 frontosa I believe are Burundi they look just like the new ones but without as much blue. One of the frontosa I already had is about 5.5in and when I added him the 5in one got tough but then was shot down. No one is hurt and they seem to be fine. Does that mean my 5.5in is also a male?

First pic is of one of the small ones that I got with the male i showed in the original pic. My guess is another females because it is the same size as the female that is holding.
    Second pic if of my 5.5in male that I just added with my new ones. I think it is a male.
    Third pic is of my other frontosa I already have. Don't know the sex but I think these are all Burundi.

If you think they are something different let me know. Thanks
    And also do you guys think I should keep the original two I had(Seen in the second and third pic) or get rid of them and look for more better blue frontosa like my new ones?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front1.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	17934   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	17935   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front3.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	17938  

The fronts in photo two and three are not as attractive as the fish in your initial post. This could be either poor genetics or poor environment. The ventral fins on the fish in photo two have been nipped but will grow back if the ‘nippers’ are removed. (What are the fronts tankmates?) The banding on the fish in photo three appears irregular and shows minor mooning, that may disappear with age.

do you guys think I should keep the original two I had(Seen in the second and third pic) or get rid of them and look for more better blue frontosa like my new ones?
    If your goal is to breed, the quality of your new fish (according to the photos provided) are of higher quality and should provide high quality fry.

One of the frontosa I already had is about 5.5in and when I added him the 5in one got tough but then was shot down. No one is hurt and they seem to be fine
    On the other hand, if the only reaction you witnessed after introducing all the fish was a minor confrontation that seems to have been resolved, you may want to keep the group intact. If you try a different combination, you may not be so fortunate. Frontosa rejection can be brutal.

. Does that mean my 5.5in is also a male?
    Most likely, what you saw was two young males sorting it out.

one of the females are holding so I got lucky and don't even have to wait to breed! The male in the picture is 5 inches and the others are around 3-3.5.
    It is quite unusual for a 3.5” front to be holding.

I think these are all Burundi.
    They all do look like Burundi.

Regards,
    -Gary

Thanks Gary you helped a lot.
    I am going to be trading that smaller one with the irregular banding and another of my cichlids for a nicer frontosa with a lot of blue like the new ones I got. I do want to breed that's why it was perfect that one of the females was already holding, I have her in a ten gallon tank and she let a couple of the fry go for a few seconds so they are definitely there. And like you said about it being unusual, I didn't think they could breed at that size. She must just be a slow grower.
    As for the largest male, I am not sure if I should just try to sell/trade him. I'm not sure if he is going to color up better now that he is in a frontosa only tank. I had him in a peacock/hap tank before. I don't see him doing any damage to my 5in male but i noticed his fin was nipped a bit now. I might pull the 5.5in male because I don't want him to ruin my other ones nice fins.

Your original male seems to be suffering from ‘being unhappy’, most likely due to being in the fast paced hap/peacock tank. He’s a good-looking front that appears to be developing a nice ‘bumper’.

Your other, smaller, original front is not a real ‘looker’ but it may be unfair to judge it based solely on that criteria. As I stated before, if you see relative peace among the new group, you can try adding the additional new fish and observe the group closely. If the price you pay for success is keeping a less-than-perfect fish, so be it. Keep an eye on things and don’t be surprised to see some minor posturing and a nipped fin here and there, that is part of the process. If it turns ugly, separate the combatants and institute plan B.

Trying to form a group from sub-adults can be dicey, far more difficult than doing so with juveniles. Adding additional females to an existing group is much easier than trying to add a male but an extra male or two will help solidify things from the outset. An alpha male will emerge and the others will fall in line.

You stated they are now in a front only tank but you did not specify what the tank capacity is. This is a critical component to your success. A five foot tank should be the minimum, with a six footer being even better.

Good luck.

Regards,
    -Gary

They are only in a 4 foot 55G right now I am going to get a 125G or larger in the next few weeks for them. Right now it is just the 5in male and 3 other 3-4in frontosa in there. I have the holding female in a separate ten gallon. So they should be fine in the 55G for a bit. When I get the larger tank, I will add the larger male back in with them. What did you mean by he seems to be suffering from being unhappy? Is that the reason he does not have as much color? By the way I vented him and he is definitely a male.

Davy,

What did you mean by he seems to be suffering from being unhappy? Is that the reason he does not have as much color?
    I am far from a Frontosa expert by any stretch and my observations are strictly from my experiences with my own fish and the multitude of research I did before I began keeping them. Fronts are kind of ‘strange’ creatures. They can be sociable, calm then skittish all within a five-minute time period. They really are a fish that can ‘run for the hills’ if you just look at them the wrong way.

The dorsal and anal fins on the original male appear ‘stunted’, lacking the elongated points and sheen the newer fish display. The ventral fins are clipped, most likely by minor pestering from prior tank mates. Your new fronts are extremely good looking Burundi type and may make others from the same area look inferior. There is a good chance when you get a larger tank and place all of them together, your original fish will look better by showing improved finnage and gain an overall improved appearance.

An accepted measurement of Frontosa health is the presence of long flowing fins, full bodies, clear eyes and good appetites. What’s most impressive about Fronts is the way they ‘glide’ around their tank, saving their incredible bursts of speed for attacking food or fleeing from a perceived danger. They truly relish their leisurely pace and I have never seen mine look their best until they were in a large enough home where they could ‘cruise’ without the threat of stress from boisterous tank mates.

Regards,
    -Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Davym1991 View Post
    They are only in a 4 foot 55G right now I am going to get a 125G or larger in the next few weeks for them. Right now it is just the 5in male and 3 other 3-4in frontosa in there. I have the holding female in a separate ten gallon. So they should be fine in the 55G for a bit. When I get the larger tank, I will add the larger male back in with them. What did you mean by he seems to be suffering from being unhappy? Is that the reason he does not have as much color? By the way I vented him and he is definitely a male.
    125 gal with them only,no fast pace moving fish,would be awsome for them and years of injoyment on the fronts,as i had a hap with a 12 inch burundi he kept snapping at him everytime he past by,tangs only,malawi only,as i have kept with best results,but nice looking burundi

At that size I would encouarge you to get a minimum 6-foot tank as soon as possible. I've been keeping frontosa for close to 15 years and I have had many good experiences and some not so good. The length of a frontosa tank is VERY important and often has a direct impact on aggression and stress levels in the tank. I have had aggression issues develop as early as 2.5". Tank footprint can usually solve and prevent many of these issues.

Per the previous reply, I'll put up a couple pics of my males with their trailors...

Wild C. gibberosa Kapampa alpha male

My beta who became alpha the week I sold off the group

And a full tank shot of the 265 that I had them in (btw: I had aggression problems when they were in a 125 that didn't improve until I got them in the 265)

Hope that helps,
    Russ

Quote Originally Posted by Razzo View Post
    At that size I would encouarge you to get a minimum 6-foot tank as soon as possible. I've been keeping frontosa for close to 15 years and I have had many good experiences and some not so good. The length of a frontosa tank is VERY important and often has a direct impact on aggression and stress levels in the tank. I have had aggression issues develop as early as 2.5". Tank footprint can usually solve and prevent many of these issues.

Per the previous reply, I'll put up a couple pics of my males with their trailors...

Wild C. gibberosa Kapampa alpha male

My beta who became alpha the week I sold off the group

And a full tank shot of the 265 that I had them in (btw: I had aggression problems when they were in a 125 that didn't improve until I got them in the 265)

Hope that helps,
    Russ
    i 100% agree with razzo,125 and better

Wow nice gibberosa! Eventually I want to sell my Burundi colony and get a gibberosa colony. The fins get longer and they tend to have more blue.

Right now I have a 100G peacock/hap tank and The fronts will be by themselves in the new 125G(or larger) when I get one. Hopefully my original male will look just as good as my newer ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Davym1991 View Post
    Wow nice gibberosa! Eventually I want to sell my Burundi colony and get a gibberosa colony. The fins get longer and they tend to have more blue.

Right now I have a 100G peacock/hap tank and The fronts will be by themselves in the new 125G(or larger) when I get one. Hopefully my original male will look just as good as my newer ones.
    Burundi frontosa are a very beautiful fish too!