Thread: Plants for Tanganyika

Default Plants for Tanganyika

What are some suggestions for plants in the hard, high PH conditions that I have my Tanganyika tank kept at? I tried a small sword plant. That's still alive after a year, but it's ridiculously stunted in growth, like a half inch tall.

I have a 15 gallon (you have no idea how much I want a bigger tank...). There are 4 fish in the tank at the moment.:
    1 Julie (Julidochromis Ornatus)
    1 Multi (Neolamprolongus Multifasciatus)
    1 Lemon Cichlid (Neolamprolongus leleupi)
    1 ...something closely related to a princess cichlid (it's got a dark mask over its eyes though)

I get lots of algae and just put in two decent size snails to take care of it. I thought the fish would go after them but they just ignored them. One died and the other is grazing like a tiny, shelled cow.

i would go with Java Fern, Anubias, Cryptocoryne Wendti or Vallesnaria. All very hardy plants. i think you could grow java fern in a dark closet. True Tanganyika setup in my opinion = no plants, but if you are having an algae bloom and want to out compete it, go for it, and healthy plants do like very nice.
    Tanganyika Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by H2Out View Post
    i would go with Java Fern, Anubias, Cryptocoryne Wendti or Vallesnaria. All very hardy plants. i think you could grow java fern in a dark closet. True Tanganyika setup in my opinion = no plants, but if you are having an algae bloom and want to out compete it, go for it, and healthy plants do like very nice.
    +1 on these plants and growing java fern in a dark closet . However, I def disagree on "True Tanganyika setup in my opinion = no plants", the Lake has vegitation:

http://forums.tfhmagazine.com/viewto...p?f=83&t=23710

As far as the sword, try putting a root feeder right next to it. Swords need root nutrients.

good article. i have no problem with plants in a Tang setup. the reality is however, they are rarely seen in the lake and found only in muddy bays in very shallow water. Hardly any of the cichlids in captivity have been collected in these areas.
    Tanganyika Fanatic