Thread: How to tell sex?

Default How to tell sex?

Im going to be stocking my new 75gal tank here soon and im going to be buying Yellow Labs, Yellow Tail Acei, Cobalt Blue Zebra and not sure how many groupings I can have in this tank so if you have any suggestions on other fish that would work would be great. My question is I know I should have 1M per type of fish, but im buying them as juvies and is there really any definite way to tell that young? Any info here would be great.
    10gal - F1 Aul sp Lwanda Fry
    20gal - F1 Aul Flavescent (Recovering)
    20gal - Cyno Zebroides Chimate Fry
    29gal - Multis
    50gal - WC Aul Lwanda Breeding Group 1m/3f
    50gal - BNP fry, Cyno sp Lion Fry
    55gal - Met OB Blueberry Zebra Slim, Cyno Zebroides Chimate, Cyno sp Lion "Lions Cove"
    72gal - Bemba Flame Tropheus, Simichromis Babaulti
    125gal - All Male Hap/Peacock Tank

http://www.riftfish.com

If they are too young to vent then there isn't really a way to tell. Males are bigger and develop color faster. Depending on the fish and how big of a territory they have I would say 2 large groups 3 medium sized groups or 4 or 5 groups that stay small . 5 could be too much but like I said it just depends on the fish you choose.
    Conversation, cooperation, conservation!

Need help treating Ich? http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/ich.php

Need help treating Bloat? http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/v...ic.php?t=24132

My vision is to benefit the hobby through quality of life, fellowship and an understanding of what is needed and what is offered in the world of cichlid husbandry.

Be careful mixing yellow labs with zebras they tend to crossbreed. If you wan to keep only 3 species then go for 10 juvies of each and get rid of extra males as the grow. Keep the nicest male of each species.

Thanks for the information I love this place its so helpfull. Now if I did keep the zebra and lab together and crossbreeded can I just use the hybrid fry for feeders in my S American tank or should I not try that?
    29gal - Multis
    55gal - Met OB Blueberry Zebra Slim, Cyno Zebroides Chimate, Cyno sp Lion "Lions Cove"

Quote Originally Posted by BNoel21 View Post
    Thanks for the information I love this place its so helpfull. Now if I did keep the zebra and lab together and crossbreeded can I just use the hybrid fry for feeders in my S American tank or should I not try that?
    Yes you can. The big problem is them being sold as pure fry. Which happens alot. if your not sure please dont sell the fry However I did check out the colbalt zebras they are not the same especies as the red zebras so it may be ok. Make sure to keep plenty of females for the zebra male and you may be ok.

Im to new to this right now to try and sell anything. Until im 100% comfortable with everything my fry for the time being will be feeders or if I do think they are pure I have a 10gal and 20gal setup to grow out for my own self.
    29gal - Multis

I also bout this 75gal tank to correct a problem when I setup my 55gal african tank. If I would have found this place prior to my stocking I wouldnt be in as much trouble as I am in right now. The lfs told me I could buy any african they had in there and it would work out fine and they didnt tell me about all this crossbreesing. So in my 55 right now I have a sunshine peacock, ob peacock, blue kenyi, yellow, kenyi, jewel, red zebra, yellow auratus, psuedotropheus socolofi, yellow tail acei x2, snow white soco,yellow lab, ice blue zebra and cobalt blue zebra. Im trying to what out of those fish I can put in the 75gal that will be good together and buy more of those. Still trying to square away the mess left over in 55gal tho. Very frustrating putting the time in to try to do the right thing and lfs gives you bad info and causes more of a headache
    29gal - Multis

Quote Originally Posted by BNoel21 View Post
    Very frustrating putting the time in to try to do the right thing and lfs gives you bad info and causes more of a headache
    BNoel21,
    There are a lot of good people on this forum who will gladly help.. You will learn who they are! As to the LFS, some are good, some are just in it to turn over inventory and don't invest the time to really learn about their product.
    And the economic down turn has closed many, many stores, at least in my area. You are doing the right thing: Ask questions! And read!
    And on a personal note, Thank You for your long and distinguished service to our Country!(I read your profile )