Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Albino Dragon Jake

Default Albino Dragon Jake

It is going to be a complicated process. I only have this male. I got 10 in the group but it looks like 5 males and more may develop. The only problem is I have the mother she is 2 years old I see only one definite female out of the group and she is just about 2.5 to 2.75 inches so that leaves me with 2 females. The other 2 males are about 2.75 inches and the rest are very small about 2.5 inches and smaller and one of them is a 100% male. The kicker is I dont know if any of the other 9 are dragon jakes they just might be a crappy strain of AER or a yellow/orange dragon strain. They have no red in the anal fin, only the mom has a slight touch of red in her anal fin. She has a White colored body and her fry the other 8 juvies have a yellow/orangish body color and no red in the anal fin. The other males just might turn out not to have the dragon gene. Only time will tell what they are going to develop into. So I only have this male to work with. If I'm lucky I can get the mom to breed with her son and get the only sibling female to breed with him.

here are 2 pic's of one of the males. Notice all the spots in the fins. It reminds me of a dragon blood fin patterns not a AER but I never worked with a AER's before. He is starting to get some color on the body.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011_04040006.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	17280   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011_04040009111.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	17281  

So the bad news is it looks like mostly males . Besides the mom I think I got 2 females and one is too small to sex.

The good news is i did a 50% water change to try to get my mottled Red OB zebras Het for Hypo to spawn which did the trick, but then I noticed my Dragon Jake male Fanning the largest female sibling. she is fat and keeps coming to the males territory. He chaces all the other fish away and she just stays there. It is all about her right now. here is a crappy video and some stills.

VIDEO

PICS

Is this albino jacobfreibergI spawning with a female jake or with another species of albino peacock? Is this a hybrid?
    Where did the name Dragon jake originate and can you tell us where you obtained the male?

prolly a firefish

Hi Charlie & FISHnCHEAP, It is a strain of Albino Eureka Red peacock that had a dragon blood crossed in to it a few generations ago. I'm getting some adult AER females to breed to my male and a male to breed to my females. I bought these from another person while searching for some ARE. The guy showed me some pic's and I told him they had the dragon Blood gene in them and he asked if I would like the whole group. I want to bring out the red/orange color.

I coined the name and I think it fits the fish

The Eureka Red peacock is a hybrid between 2 different (Aulonocara Jacobfreibergi) Otter Point crossed to the swallowtail Jake ( Aulonocara sp. Caroline).

I read somewhere that all Albino peacocks come from one wild caught female. 5 years latter there was all different albino peacocks.

well, to each their own. Guys get kicked out of auctions and shows where I live for making up names for hybrid species they have allowed to crossbreed. I would just call it what it is- essentially a dragons blood peacock- and a stunning specimen at that.

Thanx for the comp. It means a lot coming from someone that most likely dont like hybrids. That is cool you can look over the hybrid thing and still see the pretty fish. Thank You again. !!!!!

That is why I use the name Dragon Jake. It is more Jacobfreibergi Eureka Red than anything else with the Dragon blood & albino gene. Jacobfreibergi are called Jakes for short. It is a Albino Dragon Blood Eureka Red . Not very catchy but hat is where the name the name Albino Dragon Jake. It is a short, Catchy and marketable name

Its a very nice fish Bro Doesn't matter what you call it. Most fish sold by breeders are line bred for certain traits. Probably two of the biggest money fish out their are Hybrids Parrot fish and Flower horns Don't like or keep either but their creators are rich. Hard core hobbyists don't appreciate Hybrids but they certainly top the charts at most of the LFS'S around where I live. That's why I have had the opportunity to go on so many great road trips to find good stock. I've met some great friends in the process.

Thanx, I hope it pays off for me. I'm putting around 200 bucks into this project

Whoa!! $200? Big money dude. Hope it pays off.

Used to be able to spend that before the recession hit.

Pure
    Conversation, cooperation, conservation!

Need help treating Ich? http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/ich.php

Need help treating Bloat? http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/v...ic.php?t=24132

My vision is to benefit the hobby through quality of life, fellowship and an understanding of what is needed and what is offered in the world of cichlid husbandry.

Quote Originally Posted by Afrabat View Post
    Pure
    Yea 100% Pure, Pure Hybrid Dude.

I do both Pure and Hybrids. I'm very honest about what I do . Like I said the AER is a 3 way cross hybrid at the least. Werther you like hybrids or not you have to admit he is a beautiful fish.

Quote Originally Posted by FISHnCHEAP View Post
    Whoa!! $200? Big money dude. Hope it pays off.

Used to be able to spend that before the recession hit.

The group coast me 90 bucks for the 11 fish they are from 2 to 4 inches long. Pulse gas and tolls that is another 18 bucks. 5 AER 2 inch 40 bucks. I'm getting tomorrow adult breeding Pr of AER 3.5 inches 40 bucks. A trade for a female Eureka Red from Va. that is a 15 dollar fish and 13 for shipping. Yea I do things right. I have everything set up for the next 2 generations with out having to buy new fish for the project if I don't want to. You know if I see something nice I will get it. I got to breed this line into Many different lines of high quality AER . I don't want them in bred.

that is 216 bucks in this project and you know I'm not done

you seem like a driven and focused individual.
    You are infusing more genetic strains into this hybrid creation yet you contradict yourself when you say you dont want them to inbreed. Its a hybrid, so what if it inbreeds?