Thread: pleco sick? help please

Default pleco sick? help please

a couple days ago i noticed my albino bristlenose pleco was very bloated. today i noticed that his eyes seem sunken in. any help would be appreciated.....medications, explanations, etc.

What have you been feeding your pleco? What are your water parameters? ammonia/nitrite/nitrate/ph How long has the tank been set up

Sometimes with poor water condition they will get a backterial infection. I do think you need to get a bacterial medication, not primafix, something stronger. Plecos can't handle salt so you can't add salt. Keep the water prestine. Do some water changes and when you do add the medication back in that you took out.

Feed your pleco A LOT of deshelled peas for three days or four days, no other food.

But before you do this it would be good to know the questions I asked just to help to see if that's what it is.
    Two Jack Russell Terriers (Rocky & Jack)
    Three Parrots (birds) (Chiquita, Boomer & Aly)
    Green Spotted & Figure 8 Puffers
    Convict Fry
    Marbled Convict (Patches)
    Jellybean Parrot (Munchkin)
    Marbled Convict & Jellybean Fry
    Cobalt Blue Lobster (Lefty)
    Marble Crayfish

....yes I name my fish

I agree with Peeps. Keep the water extremely clean. I feed my plecos zuchinni squash which they absolutely love.

tank has been up for a few months....ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10, ph 7.7. i have plecos in all my tanks. if i put peas in my african tank theres no way the plecos will have time to eat them, however that is besides the point because that is not the one which is bloated. will my angels leave the peas alone? they pretty much always eat anything and everything, constantly looking for food, and they are in with my bloated pleco. the pleco seems to be getting better since ive done recent water changes, he doesnt act sick. still moves alot and eats wafers(what the angels dont find). thanks.

sadly my albino bristlenose died yesterday........he seemed like he was getting better. when i took him out of the tank i noticed his fins were nipped pretty badly, but i always check all my fish in every tank constantly for nips and problems so im not sure if this would happen after it died? or if i missed it.....i would like to transfer one of my rubberlips over to this tank eventually, but i would like to make sure that he will not suffer the same fate. the albino BN was in the 37g in my sig. what could have nipped him up? my keyhole is the most gentle, care free, shy cichlid ive ever seen, and my angels are little and i never see them chase or show any signs of aggression. could it be one of my killifish? i have 3 different males in the tank. another thing i noticed is that a couple of my rasboras have little tiny nips out of their tail fins, however they could have came like that from my LFS.....any suggestions and opinions greatly appreciated, thanks.

sorry for the long post!

Im so sorry, I just lost my parrot fish. I know how you feel. It sucks. killies can be sort of aggressive. I had one that I had to bring nack. But Im not sure what else. He didn't have fungus did he? It could be the keyhole, my bets on him. Sorry again.
    Convict Fry
    Marble Crayfish

....yes I name my fish

thanks, im sorry to hear that. i would be devastated if i lost my parrot.....

my keyhole and pleco used to hang out in the same cave all the time, side by side....im really hoping that the nipped fins were after he died, i added my small rubber lip to the tank today, so far everything is ok.

Ya, I know parrots are so cute but I still have big old Charlie. You know I never thought of that but fish tend to pick at dead fish, I think your on to something,.
    Convict Fry
    Marble Crayfish

....yes I name my fish