Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jack Dempsey with Swollen Stomach.

1. Unhappy Jack Dempsey with Swollen Stomach.

Wonder if anyone can help me i have a Jack Dempsey who is about 2 years old and about 6" long he has been off his food for about a week and has had a very swollen stomach, he just goes and hides when it's feeding time up till today when i noticed he was on his side at the top of the tank and then hid in a corner of the tank between the rocks and the glass, his stomach looks massive and like it is about to pop he seems to have problems with swimming but he seems very strong still, he is no resting in a cave, he and my Texas Cichlid had sort of paired up and have dug all the stones out from behind the wood to make a den which they both sit in, the Texas is standing guard of where he is now We had a 10 hour power cut about a week and a half ago where i used a foot pump to put some air into the tank we lost 2 fish because of that not sure if that has anything to do with Jack!

The tank is 150 litres it has been set up for about 8 months i do a 25% water change ever week or so and he shares it with the Texas, a large Plec, 2 Firemouth Cichlids, a parrot fish and a Oscar and some clown Loaches

The water temperature is 25.1 c , I only have the dip strips so will read what they say but can get the fish shop to test it tomorrow if you think it would help more

GH - 180, KH -180 , PH - 6.5, NO2 - 0, NO3- 200

I feed them on Cichlid pellets, shelled peas, i use Aquasafe on the new water when i do water changes

Not sure if i have covered everything, if you need anything else just let me know...

Thanks in advance for reading this i hope i can help Jack as i will really miss him!

I did read about Clout and giving him a salt bath with Epsom salts, would this help and how do i do this i have never had to do that before? and should i remove him from the tank to treat him?

Thanks again

Welcome to the forum, sorry it is because you are having problems. It sounds like your JD has bloat. It also sounds as though he is on his last leg as well, IMO. Your tank before i forget is way to small for a Jack Dempsey by it'self let alone all the other fish you have in that tank. However for starters, I would add 1 tablespoon of Epsom salt to the tank for every 10 gallons. So that would be 4 tablespoons for your tank. I would do this right after you do a 50% water change, perhaps even a 75% water change. When you next do a water change, do a 50% change and add 2 tablespoons of Epsom salt back into the tank. BTW, mix the salt in the water you are adding before adding it to the tank. Clout would be a good med to use for this. Hopefully it isn't Dropsy. TThat many fish in that small of tank, you will need to overfilter the tank and do at least 50% water changes per week. Even then, aggressiveness will probably someday cause more fish to perish. Consider a larger tank taht is at least 6 ft long or I feel you have even more problems down the road. Good luck and keep us posted.

3. Default

Thanks for your reply, i did think it was bloat, this morning he is swimming about again which i didnt expect him to be doing! His mate the Texas Cichlid is looking after him.
    I will do the water change and add the salt as you said thanks for the advice one thing if i use cloat do i need to remove him from the tank into a hospital tank to treat him or do i treat the tank?

I am looking at a 6ft tank on wednesday as it goes, it was always a temp tank while i had my living room sorted out so i can have a bigger tank so they will be in one very soon, i was given Jack as it was being bullied in someone elses tank.

I will do 50% water changes now until the tank is set up and i am running 2 big filters so am hoping that will help till the move,

Thanks again for the advice i will let you know how he goes

It would be better to have a quarantine tank as it will save money and Clout can be hard on healthy fish as well. Pretty strong stuff. Glad to hear a bigger tank is in future. Good luck and keep us posted.

I hope you get this cleared up. I agree, you need a much larger tank. Clout is great stuff but very powerful, it can re cycle your tank, it wipes away all the good bacteria but if you need it you need it. After keep a close eye on your water parameters.
    Two Jack Russell Terriers (Rocky & Jack)
    Three Parrots (birds) (Chiquita, Boomer & Aly)
    Green Spotted & Figure 8 Puffers
    Convict Fry
    Marbled Convict (Patches)
    Jellybean Parrot (Munchkin)
    Marbled Convict & Jellybean Fry
    Cobalt Blue Lobster (Lefty)
    Marble Crayfish

....yes I name my fish

6. Default

Thanks for the reply, I did the 75% water change and added the Epsom salts, Jack has been out and swimming about a little yesterday and today i managed to get a photo of him and his belly for you to see..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jack.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	15.9 KB 
ID:	16594

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jack1.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	16595

His belly still looks swollen and a couple of scales have lifted off one side by the look of it. It looks like his back end has shrunk!

Any ideas?, do i get the Clout and treat him and remove him from the tank into a smaller one to treat him?

Thanks LL
    Last edited by vwmadgirl; 02-01-2011 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Added info

yes, treat him. Hopefully it isn't to late. Good luck 'girl". Keep us posted.

8. Default

Thanks will do that today Fingers crossed!

Is that a you think Jack is a 'Girl' ?

I did wonder what sex Jack was ..Jackie??

It looks to be a male to me. Trouble is the way these fish are bred in captivity these days the tell tale signs are not always accurate, but I think it is male.

10. Default

Can't believe been out all day looking for Clout, and no one has herd of it!!

I am in the UK and take it you are not? Want to get some but need to find somewhere that will send it to the UK so i have some if ever it happens again.

All i could get is Octozin anyone know anything about it?

Thanks a few others have said male...

Octozin is a combination of chemicals and vitamins. Never used it. Supposedly is as good if not better than Clout. Give it a shot. Good luck. PLZ let us know what happens and how things progress.

12. Default

Will keep you informed for sure, I was looking to follow this treatment with Octozin http://www.lakemalawi.co.uk/index.php?pid=5 do you think this would be ok for Jack as it says for African Cichlids!
    Last edited by vwmadgirl; 02-02-2011 at 12:26 PM.

There are no meds made for fish from specific areas. Its fine to use for the JD

14. Default

Thanks i was talking more about giving 3 tablets instead of the 1 it states on the tub like talked about on that post, just wondering if it was ok for the Jack too as he is not African.

I would follow the directions on the container. As HG mentioned, there is no fish or area specific meds. Again good luck!