Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lymphocystis on my Midas Cichlid

Default Lymphocystis on my Midas Cichlid

HI everyone,
    I have posted here before about my friend the Midas and had been trying to diagnose what he has. If you look at my old post, my friend had constipation, fungus infection, vitamin allergic reaction and once in a while Hexamita outbreak. He has had this thing on his forehead and nasal opening. The one on his forehead started as a small hole that turned into this crater like opening (which I diagnosed to be HITH). Now he has this white, hard pea like thing in his forehead. Also, the thing on his nasal opening started as like a fungus growth, it started very small and got bigger. I treated with fungus cure (API) awhile back and he has some cottony growth that came off, revealing this "cauliflower" like growth on his nasal opening. I have treated him in the past with Metro+, Parasite clear, Fungus Clear, API Fungus Cure, Melafix, Pimafix, combination of Maracyn and Maracyn 2. The one thing that is worrying me the most right now is his jagged fins, more his pectoral fin. I am planning on dosing him with Melafix + Pimafix to help with the fin rot.
    Doing some research and remembering Baytherman's advice,one of this forum's great members, I have to diagnose him with Lymphocystis, a viral infection. I have posted some pics and would like everybody's input if this is indeed lymphocystis.
    Also, I would like to know some experiences with this viral infection. I have read a few but would like more input.
    Thanks everyone,
    BIG
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1073.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	15568   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1074.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	15569  

Big I am sure Dave will stop in and hopefully give you some additional information.....I know you have tried so hard to keep your friend going here.....these fish are my favorites and I hope something can be done......hang tight and hopefully one of the pros will chime in to assist you. My best to you and your Midas who indeed a beautiful fish.....Julia
    ♥♥Only trust someone who can see these three things in you:
    The sorrow behind your smile,
    The love behind your anger, and
    The reason behind your silence.♥♥

WATER CHANGE/WATER CHANGE/WATER CHANGE <~~~ My Mantra!

Oh hopefully someone will give you some answers. What are your water parameters? ammonia/nitrite/nitrate/ph.
    Two Jack Russell Terriers (Rocky & Jack)
    Three Parrots (birds) (Chiquita, Boomer & Aly)
    Green Spotted & Figure 8 Puffers
    Convict Fry
    Marbled Convict (Patches)
    Jellybean Parrot (Munchkin)
    Marbled Convict & Jellybean Fry
    Cobalt Blue Lobster (Lefty)
    Marble Crayfish

....yes I name my fish

Welcome back Big. A number of us were wondering how things were going with you and your big guy. I wouldn't say I'm one of the forums great members but I thank you for thinking so. As far as Lymphocystis, I never had experience with that. I have seen it on more advanced aged fish but I have been told by those that know of it that it comes and goes at will and is more than likely an immune system deficiency which will happen with older fish more often than in younger ones but still does happen. Supposedly it is not deadly to the fish but unsightly just the same. When you say jagged fins, are you talking his tail or dorsal fins or is it his other fins? I wish I was more help to you Big. Are all of your water params back in good standing as "peeps" alluded too? Keep us posted my friend, hopefully someone who has some additional help will chime in. Good Luck Big. Continue to keep us updated and don't stay away for so long.

Looking at the pictures and many pictures I can not say it is not Lymphocystis, however having no experience with the virus I can not say it definitely is. Now if it is truly Lymphocystis then it should eventually pass so long as the fish' immune system is up to the task. I am curious about the history of this fish' water quality. Where are the nitrates now and where have they been in the past?
    The photocontest, like everything else is behind schedule. You get some links back today.

Water parameters as of today are as follows:
    Temp: 76
    pH: 7.4
    Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: 10ppm
    I have kept a stable water parameters for awhile now( Since June) as I had problems with my tank being not cycled in the past. I change 25-40% of water every 3 days, use Prime as water conditioner and 1 capful of Stability every other water change. The nitrates in the past had went up all the way to 25ppm.
    I am really hoping that his immune system will pull through. Last week he was very lethargic and did not eat. He was just hanging almost vertically with his mouth to the surface on the corner of the tank. He was pooping white stringy feces but not eating. he also had some white film covering both of his eyes. I went ahead and treated him with Parasite Clear (Metro for his Hexamita outbreak). After the 2 dosage of the medication, the white film in his eyes went away.
    While changing his water, I noticed that he was swimming more actively (not hanging in the corner vertically) when the tank was only 50% filled. I left the tank like this and had only added 8 more gallons. He seemed to be more active now. He has been eating. I found this very surprising.
    FIN ROT: He has jaggedness on almost all his fins but mostly on his pectoral fin. To me it looks like something had been nipping on his fins, like how a leaf would look like after a caterpillar ate it.

The nitrates are fine, even at 25. Because he is still eating I would try to get him to eat food with Metro in it if he still has white stringy feces. If you are positive he has fin rot, treat it with maracyn2 or Maracyn Plus. Just follow the directions. Worry more what is going on inside his body first. If his immune system is able to gotten back to healthy status, there are a number of self healing things that can go on without meds. So get his fin rot and internal workings done first and then worry about the growth on his forehead and nasal opening. I don't remember how long you had him and how old it was before you got him.

Hi everyone,
    When I adopted him, he was not a juvenile anymore but he has not developed his nuchal hump. I have had him for close to 5 years now.
    I had prepared and soaked some of his food in metro last night. He ate some and will be eating the rest of them later. He has been fairly active recentrly, which makes me happy
    You are right, Baytherman, I have to worry about his inside first. Most articles I have read tells me that what he may have is a viral infection and could not be cured. All I can do is to keep his immune system strong so he can fight the infection. Is there something I can feed him to boost his immune system? I had added Seachem Vitachem previously and he became flushed and developed red spots around his neck area.
    The only thing that does not fit with the lymphocystis puzzle is that my fish had this cauliflower-like growth on him since mid June or early July. Most article indicated that this viral infection will go away on its own, around few weeks to a month. He have had his for almost 3 months now. What is going on?
    I am monitoring his fin rot and still dosing him with Mela+Pima FIX. I will start with Maracyn+maracyn2 combo soon.

Much appreciation,
    BIG

This doesn't appear to be lympho, although I cant guarantee it. How big is your aquarium?

Rex

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Karr View Post
    This doesn't appear to be lympho, although I cant guarantee it. How big is your aquarium?

Rex
    If i remember correctly he is in a 75 gallon Rex.

Big, if you think it is fin rot using maracyn2 will probably be of more help than the mela/pima fix. That usually takes care of it. So try the the maracyn 2 and feed the metro food and keep us updated. Good luck!

Ok so the white growth in his nasal area CAME OFF!!
    The reason it came off: I was hand feeding him as usual and he accidentally took a very big bite and took half of my finger so I kinda pull it back and he freaked out. He swam so fast back and forth around his tank and when he settled down, the white thing in his nose is GONE!! It was left by his gravel like a cotton like chunk of something. I took it and looked at it and it just looks like little cauliflower. Its just like a piece of fish meat.
    The area that it came off of does not looked bloody or inflammed. It didnt even leave an open wound. Should I be worried about this coming off?? Is this a characteristic of lymphocystis? As far as I know from reading articles and comments of other people, lymphocystis will go away on its own but I never really read anything of HOW it goes away. It being a viral infection makes me think it will just disappear and not fall off, right??
    PS: I will try to take a picture of him to show the area.
    He is doing good and eating right with food soaked in metro.
    Thanks guys,
    BIG
    Last edited by BigOrangeMidas; 10-10-2010 at 12:10 AM. Reason: PS

I believe the growth just falls away after time, not dissipate. So that is what you want. Glad he seems better. I would keep feeding metro food till you notice his feces is normal. Then his immune system will begin its rebuilding process and hopefully he will give many more years of enjoyment. Hopefully the other growth will fall away soon as well. Again keep us updated Big and good luck!

If you have not done it already net that chunk out of the tank and burn it or something I would hit the net with a mild water and bleach solution let air dry and then hit with water and extra dechlorinator.
    The photocontest, like everything else is behind schedule. You get some links back today.

I vacuumed filter that white chunk of fish meat out and placed it in a test tube with some water. I tried looking at it in the microscope the chunk is too big and would not want to ruin my microscope. Also it stunk so bad, like a dead rotten fish smell.
    The other one in his forehead seemed planted deeper than the one in his nose so it seems like it would take a little surgery to take it off, I kinda not plan on doing that, too risky IMO.
    He is still eating metro dosed food and had been doing good. I have pics of his new nose coming up.
    He is not pooping white stringy poop, how long should I dose his food with Metro??

Thanks.
    BIG

That is a tough call, one would not want to over do the metro but at the same time one wants to kill the problem and make sure there are not others. Does the metro have any guidelines?