Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tell me I won't have to break the tank down

Somewhere between the keyboard and the aquarium

Default Tell me I won't have to break the tank down

I've just set up a new tank - filled it two days ago - and the water's somewhat cloudy with what I assume is crushed coral dust. I'm afraid I rinsed it insufficiently. I took a high-pressure hose to five pounds or so at a time in a kitchen strainer until the water ran clear.

Something else - yesterday I noticed quite a number of tiny particles floating around in the tank. Upon closer inspection I realized they were bubbles. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

When I first filled my tank I did the same thing and rinsed all the gravel like 6times until it ran clean, then when I was filling up the tank it got all cloudy. Give it another day or two it should clear up. Mine did
    ~Life's not about waiting for the storm to pass...It's about learning how to dance in the rain~

Yup.... the bubbles are a common occurrence... they'll settle down. The dust should settle down as well, but take caution about adding fishes until it does. You'll probably want to do extra gravel vacuums for awhile until you're satisfied that you've gotten it all.
    Quote Originally Posted by cichgirl View Post
    I saw a bionic kenyi with carnivorous dental implants. It was terrifying.

Oh, I expect it'll be weeks before I add fish.

Gravel vacuums. Check.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    You'll probably want to do extra gravel vacuums for awhile until you're satisfied that you've gotten it all.
    How will this affect my efforts to cultivate my little ammonia/nitrite munchers?

You'll be fine. A gravel vac won't physically separate bacteria that is colonizing in the substrate. And your filter should be growing the same bacteria (probably more of it), so you're covered.
    Quote Originally Posted by cichgirl View Post
    I saw a bionic kenyi with carnivorous dental implants. It was terrifying.

Bangarang.

the lack of bacteria is why you are experiencing cloudy water, 100% normal, bubbles and debris dont matter either... in fact the more polluted the tank is the better for the cycle.
    CHuck in a feeder gold fish or three while it cycles to help establish bacteria, or feed phantom fish (the fish you intend to buy), but only do this once! and allow 3-6 weeks while continually testing twice a week.
    MY GALLERY BELOW

http://www.cichlidgallery.com/agez-240gal-american-tank

TOM- "I've got a Ford Maverick. Original. Wanna go for some carrot juice?"

seedy: lol...shrooms tast like styrofoam...
    mattV: you've eaten styrofoam??

Agez: what do you eat? (talking to toms bot)
    CIHCLID: CICHLID eats patterns.

MattV- "dhali's not dead. just out of focus."

heyguy74: Also, when dealing with larger fish that 1 inch of fish per gallon goes out the window. You cant have a 24" inch fish in a 24 gallon tank. Good luck.

When I started my tank I filled it and let it set for a week before I got any fish and if you plan on getting cichlids that should be enough because they like hard water. I added 4 cichlids and a pleco and they did just fine
    ~Life's not about waiting for the storm to pass...It's about learning how to dance in the rain~

sorry i dont need to be rude, but unfortunately that is not great advice! also amonia cycle has nothing to do with hardness...and cichlids are a very broad group that also include discus (who like VERY soft water in comparisson).

Again i mean no offence, but inexperienced keepers should be careful with advising others as this may lead to people loosing expensive fish based on the recommendations of a trusted source.

good luck with it all, and i hope you enjoy your new tank!
    MY GALLERY BELOW

heyguy74: Also, when dealing with larger fish that 1 inch of fish per gallon goes out the window. You cant have a 24" inch fish in a 24 gallon tank. Good luck.

sgypsymermaid has a GREAT resource for new hobbiests to understand the cycling time of a fish tank, and what is involved.

i recommend this link to both alowishus and amayaokami its a good read!
    MY GALLERY BELOW

Lol sorry I meant to type in African cichlids but I was using an itouch and not use to the touch screen so I probably deleted that part or it didn't put it in. Sorry about that I didn't even notice. But thanks for correcting the post. Again sorry for that accidental omission. To be more specific I have two red zebras a blue acai and one no ones to sure of right now and they did just fine

I really hate touch screens...
    Last edited by AmayaOkami; 08-13-2010 at 05:28 AM.

Still awfully cloudy. Gravel vacuuming is productive, but I wonder whether it'll ever be enough. I'm getting really close to just draining the tank and rinsing the substrate until I can't see straight. If I were to fill a bucket with water from the tank and hang my filters in the bucket while I rinse the substrate and refill the tank would I still have to start over on the cycle?

I'm a novice to cichlid keeping but did experience the same outcome as you. My tank was cloudy for over a week and i was also getting restless. I read that it has to do with the lack of the essential bacteria needed in a new tank. Also was because of my lack of filtration. I purchased a 2nd HOB and the water cleared up in 3 days.
    My tank isn't crystal clear but is way better. If anything check your filtration and be patient. It's a long process to cycle your tank. It's been almost 4 weeks and I still haven't been able to control the ammonia levels.

Consider that the OP mentions adding crushed coral right before it became cloudy...

At the present, based on what we have been told the issue is crushed coral dust.
    One will never get all of the dust rinsed out. The second part of the clear tank trick is to
    carefully scoop and deposit the substrate. I like to use an old Tupperware to scoop and
    drop, with the drop being more like a pour right above the bottom.
    The photocontest, like everything else is behind schedule. You get some links back today.