Thread: Red Devil Water Temps??

Default Red Devil Water Temps??

i just got this guy about a month ago and he was doing great, until he got hole in the head.

its under control now, but the way he acts with water temps now is really confusing tha hell outta me.. lol

for the treatment i used some jungle brand stuff, and adjusted his water temp to 87 F over a two day period. (was at 79 - 80)

and he LOVED the 87 degree water, hole in the head almost immediatly came under control, he began eating again, hed swim around me when i cleaned his tank and even got him to jump out of the water for a krill lol

but now as i began to adjust his water back, once it hits about 82, he seems alot less energetic, wont eat as much, and doesnt really seem to care when im in the tank, and seems to almost act sickly again.

but as soon as i bring it back up to 86 - 87, he goes right back to being his normal self.

...any ideas as to whats up??

Afghan I have a RD and she usually likes her water at 80.......I have no idea what to say about 87 tho.......please wait till somebody else chimes in hopefully baytherman will see this and give you some advise.........It seems awfully warm to me tho but lets see what others will advise on this......Julia
    ♥♥"A stunted discus is like an ugly baby. You think yours is beautiful until someone has the nerve to say "Damn! That's an ugly baby"♥♥

♥♥Only trust someone who can see these three things in you:
    The sorrow behind your smile,
    The love behind your anger, and
    The reason behind your silence.♥♥

WATER CHANGE/WATER CHANGE/WATER CHANGE <~~~ My Mantra!

Quote Originally Posted by PhishNFilly View Post
    Afghan I have a RD and she usually likes her water at 80.......I have no idea what to say about 87 tho.......please wait till somebody else chimes in hopefully baytherman will see this and give you some advise.........It seems awfully warm to me tho but lets see what others will advise on this......Julia

yea, i thought it was to, ive raised it back to 86 and he seems to be happy, im just gonna leave it at that and wait for some input.. im pretty new to cichlids

As a norm higher temps boast higher metabolism for fish and will many times induce spawning behavior and an increased appetite although I have found temp and water conditions didn't seem to matter to much in either case, although seemed less aggressive at lower temps. With many diseases, the immune system is also switched into overdrive to combat illness that would otherwise flourish at cooler temps. The Red Devil originates from Nicaragua and Costa Rica inhabiting many lakes and drainages. It is not commonly found in Central American rivers, but it does swim into rivers with temps as low as 68 or 70 degrees and lakes with temps of 85 or 86 degrees with varying PH levels from 6 to as high as 8 with water being soft to very hard. A very flexible and durable Cichlid to say the least. A small percentage of Red Devils are able to alter their coloration as they grow and mature. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by baytherman; 07-26-2010 at 11:48 AM. Reason: spelling

Are you sure of the temperature of the tank? How are you measuring it? A lot of thermometers, even the liquid crystal, can be several degrees off. The "pre-set" markings on heaters are a total waste, I have yet to find one that's even within 7-8 degrees of what it claims to be set at.

I used to have a photography thermometer, which was guaranteed +/- .5 degrees. Tha's POINT FIVE, half a degree. I double checked my liquid crystals, which all agreed with one another when I picked them up at the store, and they generally read two degrees warmer than the photography thermometer. I suspect variations in the glass thickness, room temperature (because they are mounted externally), and poor quality control in manufacturing all contributed to this.

As far as heaters, the only ones I can't say are definitely inaccurate are those with externally mounted temperature controls (the sensor and controller are not in the tube with the heating element). I haven't tried any of them yet, as the cost is too high for my liking.
    Happiness may be the door to Heaven,
    But Pleasure is not the Key.

Quote Originally Posted by Chromedome View Post
    Are you sure of the temperature of the tank? How are you measuring it? A lot of thermometers, even the liquid crystal, can be several degrees off. The "pre-set" markings on heaters are a total waste, I have yet to find one that's even within 7-8 degrees of what it claims to be set at.

I used to have a photography thermometer, which was guaranteed +/- .5 degrees. Tha's POINT FIVE, half a degree. I double checked my liquid crystals, which all agreed with one another when I picked them up at the store, and they generally read two degrees warmer than the photography thermometer. I suspect variations in the glass thickness, room temperature (because they are mounted externally), and poor quality control in manufacturing all contributed to this.

As far as heaters, the only ones I can't say are definitely inaccurate are those with externally mounted temperature controls (the sensor and controller are not in the tube with the heating element). I haven't tried any of them yet, as the cost is too high for my liking.

yea, thats why i increased it, i was trying to figure out if his hole in the head came from heximita, and if it got under control when i raised the water temps, then it was, and it did.
    i jus didnt know if i should leave it at 86,

and to answer your question, my heater says 91...... lol, no.
    i have two crystal stickers on my glass, 1 on ea. side, and they read 1.5 F cooler, i guess because there not actually in the tank.

i still check it randomly with a mercury thermometer or whatever their called, lol the red tubes