Thread: Flowerhorn Pair with eggs !!!

Default Flowerhorn Pair with eggs !!!

Well My dad had bought what I believe to be a male Flowerhorn and my Uncle gave me another Flowerhorn that he had raised since it was a fry and we put them together to see if they pair off. Yesterday I seen them acting really weird and today I went to check on them and there is a bunch of eggs in the plate we put in the tank and I see the female fanning them all the time.

How long until they hatch? And do I have to remove the male or the female or both after the fry hatch ?

Here is a video of them !
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6OE0nBj860
    Last edited by Peacock Rey; 07-08-2010 at 02:58 PM.
    55 Gal.
    Flowerhorn Pair

You'll probably eventually have to remove the female, as the male will probably fight w/ her over taking care of the eggs, but unless my pair was an oddity, I believe the male is the natural care-taker anyway. Give them some time and if they don't fight, leave them be, but if they do fight, remove the female.

I think the big question should be : Are they white and unfertilized, or opaque and fertile?
    Last edited by Victor Creed; 07-08-2010 at 04:52 PM.

They sure are not white.
    55 Gal.
    Flowerhorn Pair

Then within 48-72 hours, you should have baby FHs. The young will sift through the gravel/substrate eating microparticles for several days, however, drop a cube of Frozen baby brine shrimp in daily to add to the accumulation, then they will already have a taste for them once they become free-swimmers. Once they get larger, graduate them to Daphnia, and finally adult brine shrimp and crushed flake and/or pellet food. Once they have mouth big enough, Hikari's baby Cichlid Pellets will be most appropriate for their growing needs, then simply advance their food size as they grow and you'll find them to be quite partial to small (very small) crickets as well. The parents will also "pre-chew" food for them such as pellets. Congratulations!!! If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask me, as I have also bred FHs no less than a year ago.

VERY IMPORTANT: The young will get sucked into the filter intake and die, so I recommend a piece of a nylon to cover the intake secured by a twist-tie or rubber-band. The hatchlings are also very sensitive to water conditions, however a siphon house will not be adequate due to it sucking up the fry. Just use a milk-jug w/ the top cut off and the handle still in place to remove some water and keep the nitrates and ammonia down, then add more as needed. When you put the water back in, do it carefully, as they will be buried under the rocks and water forcing a piece on gravel on top of a fry will be fatal.....make sure you pour the water in slowly and if u use a 5-gallon bucket, just fill the bucket and scoop it back out and into the tank the same way you took it out. Do not worry about keeping the gravel clean, as the fry will most likely do it FOR you.
    Last edited by Victor Creed; 07-08-2010 at 10:22 PM.

Congrats! WTG! Gosh the male is beautiful, nice job hon. Julia
    Last edited by PhishNFilly; 07-09-2010 at 07:38 PM. Reason: mistake
    WATER CHANGE/WATER CHANGE/WATER CHANGE <~~~ My Mantra!

Now I'm really thinking that the eggs unfertilized because its been more than 4 days and nothing and I'm starting to see something like fungus growing on them.

What could have gone wrong?
    55 Gal.
    Flowerhorn Pair

It's possible that they could have either been abandoned and left unfanned, 1st clutches tend to have that happen sometimes. Also they may have appeared to be fertilized and male or female my just be "shooting blanks" since it is a hybrid and most hybrids are sterile. Flowerhorns being capable of reproduction was one of the biggest shockers I encountered this decade. If you look at practically every other hybrid on the planet, they are sterile and incapable of reproduction: Mules, Ligers/Tiglon, Zonkey, and w/ the exception of some lesser-known Ectotherms (cold-blooded animals), I don't think there ARE any other hyrbids that can actually reproduce.

So anyway, enough of the science class for now, remove the dead embryos, give them some time to recover, condition them again for a spawn w/ high-protein foods, and in a few weeks try a 50% water change and a slight temperature raise, and they should spawn again if they haven't already tried a 2nd before then. Lemme know the progress Good Luck, Boriqua.

Ok thank you for the info !
    55 Gal.
    Flowerhorn Pair

They are beautiful FH's. Usually in the second round they get it right and know what to do.
    Two Jack Russell Terriers (Rocky & Jack)
    Three Parrots (birds) (Chiquita, Boomer & Aly)
    Green Spotted & Figure 8 Puffers
    Convict Fry
    Marbled Convict (Patches)
    Jellybean Parrot (Munchkin)
    Marbled Convict & Jellybean Fry
    Cobalt Blue Lobster (Lefty)
    Marble Crayfish

....yes I name my fish