Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Placidochromis Phenochilus "Mdoka White Lip"

Default Placidochromis Phenochilus "Mdoka White Lip"

I bought a large male Placidochromis Phenochilus "Mdoka White Lip" on the weekend.

I want to get 2 females for him and in the tank he was in were lots other white lips ranging around 3-6 inches. He was the largest one and is about 7inches.

Is there an easy way to tell females as they both look quite similar? I believe males are brighter and have more pronounced fins and the females are slightly greyer with a couple of bars visible. If anyone has these and has a picture of a female that would be great.

The male I got is a beauty and is pictured below:

Thanks, Rob

The females are probably the ones you did not buy,they look the same,I would have taken all the smaller ones and hoped they were all female!

Cheers,Larry
    Website is back online- http://www.malawicichlidimports.ca/

OK thanks Larry I'll go back and get some of the smaller ones. From what I've seen on the web, females have slightly less bright blue around the body but very hard to pick.

Regards, Rob

I have a nice colony here at home of wild fish,,,not full grown yet,,,but yes there is very minor differences in finnage and color but this is really "iffy" as it could be a sub-dominant male as well!
    IMO its always easier to find a male than a group of females,,,,so buyng a group of the smaller ones in the tank is a better bet that they are females, if breeding in in mind.

Cheers,Larry
    Website is back online- http://www.malawicichlidimports.ca/

I am going to be picking up a placidochromis phenochilus this weekend and was wondering how he is doing with his tankmates and what his disposition is like? He is beautiful, hope all is well.
    180gal All-Male: A. Gertrudae, A. Lundu, A. Lwanda, A. Maylandi, A. Jacobfreibergi Mamela, A. Rubescens, A. Ngara, A. Maisoni, A. Blue Neon "Undu Reef", Proto. Steveni Taiwan Reef, A. Benga, Mylochromis Ericotaenia, Placid. Phenochilus Tanzania, Otopharynx Lithobates, Proto. Steveni Imperial, Protomelas Johnstoni, Rhampochromis Longiceps, L. Caeruleus, Paretroplus Maculatus
    75gal: Cyno Afra "Jalo Reef", Ps. Williamsi North
    40B: Metriaclima Elongatus Usisya Mara Rocks

Hi Chase

They are an ideal tankmate - although they grow large, they are not agressive at all. One thing I would recommend is a sand substrate for them as their big lips would probably get sore with a coaser grained gravel.

Regards, Rob

Gorgeous fish, great photography as well. WTG I hope you find your female. Julia
    ♥♥Only trust someone who can see these three things in you:
    The sorrow behind your smile,
    The love behind your anger, and
    The reason behind your silence.♥♥

WATER CHANGE/WATER CHANGE/WATER CHANGE <~~~ My Mantra!

Thanks Rob. I just moved my all male peacock/hap mix from a 75 gal to a 180 so with the added room I want to add some new fish. What do you have him housed with? I do also have sand as a substrate.
    180gal All-Male: A. Gertrudae, A. Lundu, A. Lwanda, A. Maylandi, A. Jacobfreibergi Mamela, A. Rubescens, A. Ngara, A. Maisoni, A. Blue Neon "Undu Reef", Proto. Steveni Taiwan Reef, A. Benga, Mylochromis Ericotaenia, Placid. Phenochilus Tanzania, Otopharynx Lithobates, Proto. Steveni Imperial, Protomelas Johnstoni, Rhampochromis Longiceps, L. Caeruleus, Paretroplus Maculatus

Thanks Julia

I look for females most weekends (cichlid ones that is).

Chase, as my prime objective in fishkeeping at the moment is getting my Buccochromis Rhoadesii to breed, I have him housed with the following:

1m 5f Buccochromis Rhoadesii
    1m 2f Fossorochromis Rostratus
    1m 2f Cyrtocara Moorii
    1m Otopharynx sp. 'Silver Torpedo'
    1m Aulonocara Maylandi
    1m 1f Sciaenochromis Fryeri
    1m 1f Labidochromis Caeruleus

The aim of this was to get the big Buccochromis male to be the dominant one and to do this I had to trade my peacocks, dimidiochromis strigatus as they were too territorial towards the other fish in the 6 foot tank.

I now think even 18 fish is too many fish for my 6 foot tank with these species and am looking to get a 10 x 2.5 x 2 ft tank.

The white lip are much like the blue dolphin in nature (one of the blue followers). They are an active swimmer in the tank.

Regards, Rob

Was he being harassed by the peacocks to where he was unhappy or was he simply not able to be the dominant male? Obviously I am not interested in breeding but this is a concern to me. Also, Wow, a ten foot tank...that is going to be unbelievable.

I have found that peacocks males are some of the more territorial Malawians once they get to a certain size, they become quite dominant. That is unless they are Maylandi or the smaller variety of Aulonocara that are quite timid.

The big male Buccochromis needs some real estate to breed in and it got to the point where one peacock was down one end and the other down the other end and if the big male Bucco went into the territory he would hassled hence no way they were going to breed with the dominant fish around. When I removed the peacocks, the Dimidiochromis Strigatus (who was held in check by the peacocks) became the dominant male and he was even more territorial so he had to get traded aswell.

I believe I have struck a good balance with the fish list above. The Fryeri is probably the most territorial, but its manageable. The interesting thing now that the more dominant fish are removed is that the Buccochromis females are fighting more amongst themselves.

I just want to make the the Phenochilus "white lip" I am picking up this weekend fares well with my peacocks. My current stock is still young, I would say they range from 3.25 to about 4"(ballpark). I am also picking up a Lethrinops "Red Cap" Chirwa which I hope does well. Another concern I have is how to introduce them to the tank...that should be interesting.

I'd say the white lip will be fine with peacocks or that size, its when they get larger around the 6 inch mark when they become territorial, but I wouldn't think that they would single out the white lips, especially since they're in the 180 with enough room.

The Lethrinops "Red Cap" Chirwa is a fantastic fish. I would love to get some myself one day and will be interested to hear how yours get on.

Regards, Rob

I just viewed a youtube of the fish mentioned above "Red Cap" Chirwa and I must say it's fantastic looking. I cant wait to see pics Chase. Good Luck with introductions. Julia
    ♥♥Only trust someone who can see these three things in you:
    The sorrow behind your smile,
    The love behind your anger, and
    The reason behind your silence.♥♥

WATER CHANGE/WATER CHANGE/WATER CHANGE <~~~ My Mantra!

Thanks, I will definitely keep you posted on how they are. I will be picking them up Saturday afternoon. The white lip is 5", the Letrinops is 4" and I will be also getting a Stuartgranti Blue Neon "Undu Reef" at 4". When I originally stocked my tank I started with 4 fish, then 3 weeks later put another 5. Hopefully introducing 3 will not start too much of a war...we'll see.