Thread: Need Help!!! Bloat or Pregnant Jewel

Exclamation Need Help!!! Bloat or Pregnant Jewel

I don't know if this jewel has bloat or is pregnant. It has been growing for some time now. Hanging out in the rocks most of the time. Swimming seems normal, but I am relatively new to African cichlids in general so I am unsure. Below are a couple of pictures with the Turquoise jewel.

Thanks for the help guys...

Brian

That would be bloat. Cichlids do not get pregnant like live bearers and while they can get egg bound that does not appear to be the case.
    The photocontest, like everything else is behind schedule. You get some links back today.

Thanks Glaive. How would I go about treating bloat? Currently they are all together in a 75G. Do I need to separate the fish? medicate together? any help is welcomed...

Bmallet I found this thread for you. Julia

http://www.cichlidforums.com/showthread.php?t=30917
    ♥♥"A stunted discus is like an ugly baby. You think yours is beautiful until someone has the nerve to say "Damn! That's an ugly baby"♥♥

♥♥Only trust someone who can see these three things in you:
    The sorrow behind your smile,
    The love behind your anger, and
    The reason behind your silence.♥♥

WATER CHANGE/WATER CHANGE/WATER CHANGE <~~~ My Mantra!

eemmm, I don't mean to contradict the man here, but there is a chance that may NOT be bloat. While Jewels do in fact swell up and get large bellies when a gravid female is preparing to spawn, it may be tough to tell. IMO, you should observe the 2 Jewels and see if they have typical spawning behavior, such as being overly aggressive, always being together, chasing other fish away from a certain area of the tank they have claimed as their "spawning ground", cleaning a flat rock or other similar object which would be suitable for sticking the eggs on, and stuff like that. IF they do NOT exhibit any of these behaviors, THEN you may want to proceed w/ treatment, but a female Jewel holding eggs will get VERY fat. Usually on a gravid female you can see a....idk if the term is correct, "Sperm-plug" hanging out of the cloaca. She appears to be abnormally fat, but don't rule out this possibility. Waiting for the spawn may prove to take too long, however, she should lay in a few days, and the eggs will hatch in 48-72 hours and you will see wigglers eventually....this is why i suggest learning to identify spawning behaviors.

Also, i wouldn't expect bloat in a Jewel, as they are primarily carnivorous from what i gather.

Thanks to everyone for the help...

Victor, she is swolen so large that her normal red color is almost white in spots. The two jewels, one red and one turquoise, do hang around each other alot. Swim together, and play in the bubbles under the bio dump. Lately the red spends more time under a crevace and on the opposite end of the tank when I feed. I have a hard time determining this as the sure factor of bloat because it has always acted that way. It seems so large that the eyes almost seem to be bulging at times. It has happened fairly quickly, maybe a week or so, and started with the red one hanging around under the crevace. After tthis behavior, it started getting progressvely larger.

Does any of this help???

that sure sounds like spawning behavior to me.....and they won't eat much during the spawn either, if at all. IS there anything hanging out of the cloaca (it would appear as the anus)? That's usually a sure sign of a gravid female....and this IS prime time for spawning as well, i have had several fish spawn in the past month or so. Do they chase the other fish away from their crevice ? It certainly sounds like they could be spawning...look for the female to be depleted shortly and search for a group of eggs if u notice she got smaller, thinner. 1st clutch could range bewteen 20-60, and some clutches can be over 300.

I could be wrong, by from what you are describing, you should have fry in a few days, a week at most.

And on 2nd thought, you might want to keep those fry since it may be a Hybrid father w/ a Red Jewel mother....those could end up being a stunning group of babies.
    Last edited by Victor Creed; 06-17-2010 at 12:09 AM.

I'll definitely keep a close eye on them. You mention a plug. There does look like a red thing sticking out of the anus. Almost like it is swollen too.

Quote Originally Posted by bmallett View Post
    I'll definitely keep a close eye on them. You mention a plug. There does look like a red thing sticking out of the anus. Almost like it is swollen too.
    She's gravid.

sorry for the long wait, but she ended up dying. I did cut her open to know for sure though and she was full of eggs.

She was Egg-bound. Not sure what causes it or how to cure/prevent it. Sorry Bro