Thread: Need help stocking cichlid and angel tanks!!!

Default Need help stocking cichlid and angel tanks!!!

Hello!
    I am pretty new to this whole fish thing, but I absolutely love it! I just recently bought a 36 gallon bowfront tank and have a 29 gallon, and i need help stocking them. I would love to have the 36 gallon be an angelfish community tank, and the 29 gallon a cichlid tank.

I love fish with bright colors, and interesting shapes. If you could help me set up a tank with those aspects, it would be greatly appreciated!

I was also wondering if you could keep angels in a tank with fake plants. I was thinking that since i'm new at all this, I should just focus on the fish right now, and then maybe branch out toward a planted tank.

I've researched alot about freshwater tanks, and how to start them and the best ways to do it, but if you have anything else I should know about maintaining my aquarium, please let me know! Thanks so much!!

Well you can keep plants with angels but not cichlids, yes angels are cichlids but they don't destroy plants like the others do. If you want to get into bright colored fish you should check out Africans. You don't have a huge tank so I would not get into central Americans. Angels get really big and beautiful. I would stock the 29 gallon with a couple angels, maybe three and the 36 gallon with Africans. The like lots of rockwork, so if you get into them I would get some rocks so they can hide in.

Are you familiar with the cycling process? If not then we will help you. You can’t just get a bunch of fish and put them in, they will die from the cycling process.

If you don’t have a python and hose I would get one. They attach to your sink and suck up the crud at the bottom of the tank. Then you just fill it back up with water from the sink, use a dechlorinator. If not your fish will get sick from chlorine poisoning. But the python and hose saves you from the bucket method which really hurts your back and it’s quicker.

Once your tank is cycled you should clean it every couple of weeks. Feed them twice a day but not a lot, don’t dump the whole can in, lol.

One more thing, never clean your filter media with tap water, gently rinse it with tank water, it has all your good bacteria on it and you will destroy it causing a mini cycle.
    Two Jack Russell Terriers (Rocky & Jack)
    Three Parrots (birds) (Chiquita, Boomer & Aly)
    Green Spotted & Figure 8 Puffers
    Convict Fry
    Marbled Convict (Patches)
    Jellybean Parrot (Munchkin)
    Marbled Convict & Jellybean Fry
    Cobalt Blue Lobster (Lefty)
    Marble Crayfish

....yes I name my fish

Smile

Thanks for your post!! It helped alot.

The reason I was thinking about putting the Angels in the 36 gallon is that it's quite tall and I know angels do better in taller tanks because of their long fins.

I know that angels require plants, but I was wondering if I could put fake ones in there opposed to real plants. Thanks for the tip about the rocks for the cichlids! I'll do that.

I was also wondering if I'd need a quarrentine tank. What exactly are they used for? And if I do need one, how big should it be? I am familiar with cycling the tanks, and I do have dechlorinator, gravelvac, and algae scrapper.

African cichlids sound great!! Do you have any possible combination ideas?
    Thanks so much!!

There aren't many African Cichlids I would put with Angels. You could look into Apistos however. They do well with Angels and are a smaller and very colorful Cichlid as well. Plant cover is the big thing with them. Fake or real. They like driftwood too. Just my 2 cents worth.

There aren't many African Cichlids I would put with Angels. You could look into Apistos however. They do well with Angels and are a smaller and very colorful Cichlid as well. Plant cover is the big thing with them. Fake or real. They like driftwood too. Just my 2 cents worth.
    She is not putting angels in with cichlids, she has a 36 gallon she is going to use for her angels and a 29 for cichlids. Am I correct?

Yes, you can put as many fake plants in as you want with angels and cichlids. I know cichlids dig up a storm but what I do is put a heavy rock and stick the plant behind the rock. That way they can't dig it up.

A QT tank would be advisable. They are used for new fish. If you get new fish you put them in there for a month so if they come in with an illness it does not spread to the other fish. Also if a fish looks sick you can put them in there and treat them so it does not spread to the others. You treat that tank with medication.

A QT tank it set up with no gravel, a few decorations, a sponge filter, heater and that's it. The reason for no gravel is because ick and parasites fall off the fish during the process and that is why it is advisable to have no gravel. I have a 20 gallon QT tank but you could get away with a 10 gallon. I have centrals and they are big so they need a bigger tank. But Africans don't get very big, depending on what species.

To be honest Im not too familiar with Africans. Only Centrals. But some do get big, make sure you stick to the small ones because you don’t have that big of a tank. Stick to the colorful small ones.

You should start a post in the African section, tell them your tank size and ask them for stocking help.
    Two Jack Russell Terriers (Rocky & Jack)
    Three Parrots (birds) (Chiquita, Boomer & Aly)
    Green Spotted & Figure 8 Puffers
    Convict Fry
    Marbled Convict (Patches)
    Jellybean Parrot (Munchkin)
    Marbled Convict & Jellybean Fry
    Cobalt Blue Lobster (Lefty)
    Marble Crayfish

....yes I name my fish