Thread: My Vieja synspila

Default My Vieja synspila

My Vieja synspila (redhead cichlid?) is about 3-4". The tail fin is starting to get shades of red and the tail is turning a little yellow with the rest of the fins a very light blue, but everything else is still whitish silver except for the black bar coming about halfway to the front of the body. Every picture that I see of them shows them to have bright red heads and bright yellow on the back.

Question 1

When to they show these colors?

It is a 55 with 2, 3" JD's 2, 3" firemouths and 2 cory's. (I know the tank will soon be overstocked.) It is the boss of the tank and does keep the others away from where ever it is.

Question 2

Is this Normal? Are they this aggressive?

Question 3

Is it possible to keep a breeding pair of firemouths in a 33 gallon if it has tons of filtration?

Unfortunately most of the fish farms seem as unselective when choosing breeders of Synspilum as they are in choosing their "Red Devil" breeders.

When I first became interested in purchasing a few Synspilum I placed an add in an on-line aquarium classifieds. Just a few days later a guy from my area sent me an e-mail saying he had a medium sized pair to sell. I was ecstatic. It seemed too easy. And it was. After I bought the pair of 5" and 7" fish and showed some people my pictures, they informed me that niether were Synspilum. The male was actually a Vieja fenestratum and the female a Bifasciatus or hybrid.

So after that I began looking around at different places for some Synspilum. When I called up one of my LFS's and asked about the fish they could order for me, I was extremely surprised to here the name Synspilum. I was so excited. Once again it seemed to easy and once again it was. These fish turned out to be some more Vieja hybrids.

It seemed as if I would NEVER get the fish I wanted. It was a long time later that I finally picked up some real Synspilum from a breeder at an ACA convention. Right now I have a medium sized male and group of ten 1-2" juvies.

Basically, your chances of having a "Synspilum" are rare unless you bought the fish from a source you really trust.

Their colors due not develope until he fish are a few inches long. Yours may be a little stressed or just not large enough to show bright colors yet. My juvies are a dull yellow and pink.

Synspilum are not usually killers like Red Devils would be. But they can be quite aggressive. Like any fish the aggressive varies and some individuals are quite mild.

Also, I think a 33 gallon should work well as you described.

Thanks for the knowledge.......I was wondering why my Vieja synspila didn't really look like any of the pictures I had seen.

I guess I wait and see what it's coloration becomes before I decide if it is permanent addtion to the house or not?

You may get "lucky" as I did at first. The first fish, that was actually a 7" male Fenestrata, was a lot more unusual than Synspilum and worth a lot more also.

The guy that I got that pair from claimed they were true Synspilum when I asked. Later when I found that niether were Synspilum and that the "pair" weren't even the same species I sent him an e-mail telling him what I found out. I had learned the distinctive traits of both species and told him why I was sure that they weren't Synspilum. He said he had kept and bred Synspilum for 15 years and assured me that they were Synspilum. I knew better than to believe him that time. I wasn't upset about the mix up, as I was very glad to get that big Fenestrata, but I was a little shocked that someone could think they have that much experiance with a particular species and in reality not have a clue.

I'll try to round up a few pictures of pure Vieja species for you. There are many pictures on the net that are mislabled.

Thanks......I look forward to seeing them.