Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tankmates with electric blue jack dempsey

Default tankmates with electric blue jack dempsey

nothing serious im just wondering if royal plecos would be okay in the tank with ebjd's, if not any plecos

Well it may work BUT have a back up plan. Some plecos get really picked on by cichlids, if it does not work out I would have a plan on what to do with the pleco. I had a pleco with my JD and he ripped the tail so I had to remove my pleco. But you never know with cichlids. What size tank is it?
    Two Jack Russell Terriers (Rocky & Jack)
    Three Parrots (birds) (Chiquita, Boomer & Aly)
    Green Spotted & Figure 8 Puffers
    Convict Fry
    Marbled Convict (Patches)
    Jellybean Parrot (Munchkin)
    Marbled Convict & Jellybean Fry
    Cobalt Blue Lobster (Lefty)
    Marble Crayfish

....yes I name my fish

Well ill be getting either a 75 or a 125 gallon tank, the ebjd is in a 55 by himself right now.

It should work out.
    Convict Fry
    Marble Crayfish

....yes I name my fish

Allright cool, thanks

Another question, are plecos and ebjds ok with a sand substrate?

Yeppers!!! Just make sure your pleco is bigger then you jack.
    Convict Fry
    Marble Crayfish

....yes I name my fish

plecos are tough, if they blend in and dont move, they are fine bu cichlids are territorial fish, they might not care about the pleco or they might. i had a 8" pleco that was fine with my fish then i woke up one day and he was obliterated, no clue what happened.

only way to know is to try

I've typically heard Electric Blue Dempseys aren't NEARLY as aggressive as Jacks, and at an average size of 4-6 inches, ANY Pleco or Catfish will probably mix well, especially in a tank the size you are talking. I would also venture as far as to say Blue Acaras (they are really NOT aggressive and can be kept w/ GOURAMIS, but are far from chumps)might do well with them also and possibly a Pacu, Tinfoil Barb, or Redtail Shark. Discus, AngelFish, and possibly Earth-eaters may be another path to choose, however these are just suggestions. Remember each individual fish has it's own "animality"and therefore a generalized species recommendation may not be applicable, especially for a pricey fish like an EBD.

Also when it comes to Cichlids, I found it's hard to go wrong w/ Raphael Cats or Pictus and other armored catfish such as Haplo Cats. Channel cats seems to be quite hardy, but are also carnivorous as well. This may not be the type of fish you want to have a "community" with, since they can cost 40-80$ typically....BUT....if you are successful w/ one or several of the afore-mentioned species, the reward will be fantastic coloration and a beautiful tank of prisms. In actuallity, due to thier mild aggression levels, I have no doubt you could keep Oscars w/ an adult EBD as long as you provide plenty of hide-spaces and caves.

Try to stay away from very aggressive species like Jaguars and Guapote, Jacks, Green Terrors, anything Amphilophus, Convicts, etc. Firemouths may also be a safe bet as well as Giant Danios or Severums as well....If I were you, I would simply make sure nothing except the bottom-feeders or NON-aggressive, NON-Cichlid tankmates (Pacu, Barbs, etc.) are bigger than your Dempsey, as I'm sure he will be the main concern in your tank.

thanks for all the help! and to victor creed, i was thinking about putting 2 discus and a couple clown loaches also... the ebjd is owned by my uncle right now and isnt aggressive at all, hopefully itll work with those fish

Quote Originally Posted by ovd1 View Post
    thanks for all the help! and to victor creed, i was thinking about putting 2 discus and a couple clown loaches also... the ebjd is owned by my uncle right now and isnt aggressive at all, hopefully itll work with those fish
    Sounds like a great idea, personally, I wish you the best of luck w/ it....just remember what your main priority is when mixing other fish w/ your EBD....perhaps you may want "test the waters" w/ something not quite as expensive as a Discus, but rather something of similar lifestyle w/ similar habits....which is why I suggested either Angelfish or Firemouths or Acaras. Personally I LOVE Acaras and they really can do well in either and aggressive/semi-aggressive tank or community fish. Green Terrors may be a tad bit TOO nasty, but Blue Acaras, being the runner-up for largest would prolly do fine. Blue Acaras are my 1st choice by far.

most likely after i get the cycle going ill put 2-3 firemouths in the tank to get it set.. im getting the tank the end of may ill be keeping up to date and be posting pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Creed View Post
    I've typically heard Electric Blue Dempseys aren't NEARLY as aggressive as Jacks, and at an average size of 4-6 inches, ANY Pleco or Catfish will probably mix well, especially in a tank the size you are talking. I would also venture as far as to say Blue Acaras (they are really NOT aggressive and can be kept w/ GOURAMIS, but are far from chumps)might do well with them also and possibly a Pacu, Tinfoil Barb, or Redtail Shark. Discus, AngelFish, and possibly Earth-eaters may be another path to choose, however these are just suggestions. Remember each individual fish has it's own "animality"and therefore a generalized species recommendation may not be applicable, especially for a pricey fish like an EBD.

Also when it comes to Cichlids, I found it's hard to go wrong w/ Raphael Cats or Pictus and other armored catfish such as Haplo Cats. Channel cats seems to be quite hardy, but are also carnivorous as well. This may not be the type of fish you want to have a "community" with, since they can cost 40-80$ typically....BUT....if you are successful w/ one or several of the afore-mentioned species, the reward will be fantastic coloration and a beautiful tank of prisms. In actuallity, due to thier mild aggression levels, I have no doubt you could keep Oscars w/ an adult EBD as long as you provide plenty of hide-spaces and caves.

Try to stay away from very aggressive species like Jaguars and Guapote, Jacks, Green Terrors, anything Amphilophus, Convicts, etc. Firemouths may also be a safe bet as well as Giant Danios or Severums as well....If I were you, I would simply make sure nothing except the bottom-feeders or NON-aggressive, NON-Cichlid tankmates (Pacu, Barbs, etc.) are bigger than your Dempsey, as I'm sure he will be the main concern in your tank.
    Quote Originally Posted by ovd1 View Post
    We have a small EBJD and so far it is quite docile. I made the error of putting it into a tank with a similar sized JD and that lasted about 10 seconds! the JD was all over the EBJD instantly. As for mixing it with discus, dont know yet.......maybe if it is small

Not sure how I missed this thread earlier, sorry about being late to the party. However, some of what has been suggested above will not work and should not be tried. First, I saw the word "Pacu". This is a fish that should almost never be kept in home aquaria, as they grow close to three feet in length and are fairly active. If you have a 500 gallon tank, this fish would still be cramped.

Second, I saw a recommendation of Discus, and this would be bad because the water chemistry requirements of the two are at complete opposites. Discus need soft, acid water at a very high temperature. The EBJD is going to do best in moderately hard, slightly alkaline water at about 10-15 degrees cooler than Discus. Some people used to call Severums the "poor man's Discus", as they are much more adaptable to varied conditions, but they can sometimes be more aggressive than anticipated.

I would also stay away from Clown Loaches, as they are also very prone to illness when younger, and can be much more territorial than people expect when mature. (Of course, maturity in this species can take a decade or more!) However, this one is more of a 50/50 chance of working out, and I may be against them as much out of personal preference as real concerns.

Young EBJD are very sensitive to water quality, and I would not try to keep anything with them until they are at least 3 inches. That appears to be the point where they are not so susceptible to health problems.

When he gets bigger, some milder Tetras such as the Columbian red and blue might make interesting dithers, and I would consider some of the Archocentrus or Cryptoheros species, which will stay smaller and are not as aggressive as their Convict cousins. In a long tank, such as the 125, you could consider adding a couple of Thorichthys (Firemouths and relatives), as they act tough but are mostly bluff.
    Happiness may be the door to Heaven,
    But Pleasure is not the Key.

Quote Originally Posted by Chromedome View Post
    Not sure how I missed this thread earlier, sorry about being late to the party. However, some of what has been suggested above will not work and should not be tried. First, I saw the word "Pacu". This is a fish that should almost never be kept in home aquaria, as they grow close to three feet in length and are fairly active. If you have a 500 gallon tank, this fish would still be cramped.

Second, I saw a recommendation of Discus, and this would be bad because the water chemistry requirements of the two are at complete opposites. Discus need soft, acid water at a very high temperature. The EBJD is going to do best in moderately hard, slightly alkaline water at about 10-15 degrees cooler than Discus. Some people used to call Severums the "poor man's Discus", as they are much more adaptable to varied conditions, but they can sometimes be more aggressive than anticipated.

I would also stay away from Clown Loaches, as they are also very prone to illness when younger, and can be much more territorial than people expect when mature. (Of course, maturity in this species can take a decade or more!) However, this one is more of a 50/50 chance of working out, and I may be against them as much out of personal preference as real concerns.

Young EBJD are very sensitive to water quality, and I would not try to keep anything with them until they are at least 3 inches. That appears to be the point where they are not so susceptible to health problems.

When he gets bigger, some milder Tetras such as the Columbian red and blue might make interesting dithers, and I would consider some of the Archocentrus or Cryptoheros species, which will stay smaller and are not as aggressive as their Convict cousins. In a long tank, such as the 125, you could consider adding a couple of Thorichthys (Firemouths and relatives), as they act tough but are mostly bluff.
    Thank you sir!

One post and it becomes blatantly obvious that I am doing tons of things wrong with our ebjd