Thread: Turtle and Cichlid Tank!

Default Turtle and Cichlid Tank!

Hey guys, I just recently joined the forums XD.

I started getting into African cichlids 7 months ago and I now love them!! I have a strange tank setup in my room. I own an acrylic 180 gallon turtle tank. In the tank are a bunch of african cichlids, catfish, and of course my 2 giant asian pond turtles (Storm & Lightning). The turtles are very gentle and rarely attack any of the fish. Only when a fish is dying will the turtles' natural instict kick in and eat the fish.

Here's a video of my tank so far! :P
    LINK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jRje...layer_embedded

Hi Blink. A bit unoprthodox perhaps but very fun to watch! How long has it been set up? I love the wood in there - how does your PH hold up? Btw I think the electras work very nicely in that tank. And the turtles - obviously focal points - do they make water maintenance a challenge? They're quite a bit of bio-load in a fish tank...

Not being critical, it's just an unusual mix and I can't help being curious about all sorts of things. Do tell more!

Yea, my turtles need a lot of maintenance...
    I do water changes every 5 to 6 days and clean out the bio nets in the sump. I've had this tank setup for about 8 months now.

The cichlids have been very healthy. There haven't been any diseases or major problems involving their health (knock on wood). I actually don't know the current pH of my tank... I keep the temperature at 75 - 80 degrees. I can tell the cichlids love it everytime I do water changes because they get so active. They start being more competitive for territory and they also start trying to mate with each other a lot.

The maintenance isn't too bad, I just can't be lazy. So far I haven't missed a water change. My fiancee likes it when my tank is clean so I like keeping it that way :P. I use one of those really long tubes you can buy at a local fish store to change the water.

You guys have any thing I should know about keeping my cichlids in good health?

How much of the water do you change?

I do 80% water changes ever Saturday night.

Very Cool. It looks like one of the yellow labs was "holding".

Waaaayyyyy too much maintenance for me though!
    I should use this space to promote the photo contest...but I can't think of anything clever...

Quote Originally Posted by Blink View Post
    I do 80% water changes ever Saturday night.
    That should be plenty, IMHO!
    BAN OWNERS, NOT BREEDS!!
    AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIERS
    ARE GREAT PETS!!

Maybe i should cut down on water changes LOL.
    I noticed everytime i do water changes the cichlids mate like crazy! Currently, there are so many baby cichlids in my tank... So many hiding spots for them... I'm worried the tank will become too overpopulated!

I should think the turtles would happily deal with any fry overpopulation by having themselves a good ol' fashioned (wait for it, wait for it...) FISH FRY.

Seriously though, i imagine those turtles will help keep the population in check. BTW, you're not the only one to report cichlids that have gotten frisky after water changes (particularly after water changes that were delayed due to vacations, etc)
    Quote Originally Posted by cichgirl View Post
    I saw a bionic kenyi with carnivorous dental implants. It was terrifying.

Cool setup Blink, but shouldn't the turtles have more land space or someplace completely out of the water? I have no clue about turtles, so I'm guessing they are not the regular breed most people have.

Stupid question but why do fish get so frisky after a water change?
    Patti the Pomeranian
    Houdini the Bearded Dragon
    Betta

Quote Originally Posted by Cichnewbie View Post
    The usual speculation would be that a change in water conditions signals the arrival of the rainy season to the fish; With the rainy season comes more abundant food supply and (depending on the biotope) more abundant shelter - making it the right time to breed. In the case of fish that are not naturally seasonal spawners that theory wouldn't seem to make much sense though. Cleaner water does seem to stimulate them though - a healthier environment to spawn in will encourage breeding, so a sudden change for the better can be a trigger releasing pent up breeding instinct.

Very interesting, thanks DogWalker.
    Patti the Pomeranian
    Houdini the Bearded Dragon
    Betta

Quote Originally Posted by Cichnewbie View Post
    Cool setup Blink, but shouldn't the turtles have more land space or someplace completely out of the water? I have no clue about turtles, so I'm guessing they are not the regular breed most people have.

You're right, the turtles do need an area to bask in. There's actually a log I adjust that comes out of the water lol... I just readjusted it for the video because it looked ugly HAHA. but I take my turtles outside in the backyard to play around in a play area and feed them tomatoes there.

My turtles are called Heosemys Grandis's. They're kinda half turtle and half tortoise. They love to walk around on land just as much as they like to swim so Im getting a 300 gallon tank in december 2010. I want to make a crazy ecosystem where they can have a lot of land area to walk around on and for the cichlids to have more areas for territory :P.

Quote Originally Posted by maccichlid View Post
    I should think the turtles would happily deal with any fry overpopulation by having themselves a good ol' fashioned (wait for it, wait for it...) FISH FRY.

Seriously though, i imagine those turtles will help keep the population in check. BTW, you're not the only one to report cichlids that have gotten frisky after water changes (particularly after water changes that were delayed due to vacations, etc)
    omg... I wish my turtles would kill control the population... The cichlids literally swim right next to the turtles faces and the turtle doesn't even care that the cichlid is there. My turtles are too slow to catch anything underwater, unless it's weakened and about to die, only then will my turtles naturally finish off the dying fish. They're very peaceful and gentle turtles.