Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to identify Green terror gender?

Default How to identify Green terror gender?

Hi everyone

I have two new green terrors that suppose to be female and male but i see no diffrence between them, can anyone tell me how do I know which one is the male and which one is the female?

they are about 5cm each. not very bigץ

Thank you.

Males will start a hump or bump on the head. Females will not. This should be happening in the next few months as GTs are slower growing till they hit about 4-5 inches. Do you have Saums or the regular GT. The regular ones, males will tend to be more colorful as well. They are also very nice fish, seemingly more aggressive than the Saums IMO.

Thank you!

I dont know if its Saum or not. How do I know that? for now they are about 3-4 inches so there is no hump and i cant know yet.
    also both dont look very coloful and one is aggressive indeed to the other. does it means he is the male?

Take a few pictures and post them in this thread.
    The photocontest, like everything else is behind schedule. You get some links back today.

The Saums will have a white or yellow to orange vertical line at or near the end of the tail. The regular as I call them will not have this and are sort of a more olive green. They are of Green Terrors, just different geographical locals. The fact one is picking on the other could mean a number of things. 2 males, one is trying to establish dominance, or could be male and female. Hec it could even be 2 females. GTs are a quarrelsome fish as a norm to begin with. As Glaive mentioned, pics would help.

here are the images, each picture shows diffrent fish

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	2572 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	13671

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	2184 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	13672

I will be greatful if you will identify the gender!

They are Saums and look to be females. Still nice looking fish. Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by baytherman View Post
    They are Saums and look to be females. Still nice looking fish. Congrats!
    how can u tell them apart from male n female? n Gt from Saums. J/W

I've searched for information about Saums. here is how to make the diffrence between it and green terror.
    http://www.thewatersnake.com/forums/...&mode=threaded

now how do you really know about the male and female? I want to go back to the store and change it to a male one. so I want to be able to recognize there if he gives me a male or not.

If i want them to spawn, do you think i should keep the dominant one or the other?

At the size they are now, a male would usually have a hump starting to form. I don't see that. They both look to beautiful but lacking the true colors that a male would at this size. There also seems to be more green in the anal fin than blue. These are all eye sight assumptions through somewhat blurry pictures on my part. You could try venting them to be sure. My guess is they are females. By the way, females can be just as nasty as the males, sometimes worse.

The first is a stunted male Gold Saum - available at every PestMart in the USA. At 2 inches (5 cm) he is not going to be showing any hump. I've seen males at 4 inches that hadn't developed a hump. Hump is bad way to sex. Better way is the two light colored bands on either side of the lateral spot. In females they are usually much brighter, and the center black band more distinct. The first fish also has a fairly flat stomach profile, another indicator of a male.

Second shot I initially thought didn't even look like a Saum OR a Terror. The fish's color is washed out, perhaps by the white wall in the background. Markings in the fins are not visible, the markings on the face and flanks very hard to see. I wouldn't try to guess the sex without a shot of the fish under darker conditions, where it colors up more.
    Happiness may be the door to Heaven,
    But Pleasure is not the Key.

What would lead you to believe it is a stunted fish?

Because non-stunted fish do not have that kind of color at that size unless they've been hormoned. I would imagine that it is quite possible that the PestMart fish are hormoned, as they seem to be pretty aggressive. However, hormoning will also stunt the fish, so in the end it's a matter of six of one, or a half dozen of the other.
    Happiness may be the door to Heaven,
    But Pleasure is not the Key.

Interesting. I was unaware that Petsmart did that. Obviously there is no dwarf species of this fish, at least non that I know of, but Petco tries to pawn off as a dwarf species must be an example of this procedure. If the people who are to buy these fish new of the unhappy and somewhat painful life a fish goes through being purposely stunted, maybe they wouldn't buy them anymore. Some probably would still do so anyway. It is sad what some will do to make money in this hobby. Thanks for the insight.

Thanks Chromedome

I didnt buy the fish from Pestmart because I am from Israel and we dont have them here
    so I asked in my store if this fish got any hormones and he said that not in his store but he doesn't know about the provider... anyway, both of them are having their colors fading. maybe its because they are not getting any hormones any more.

also I cant get a dicent picture to show their colors more clearly. I'll get my friend's camera as soon as I can to take a good picture.

looking at the lateral lights Chromedome mentioned- I can see them and they are about the same for both fish.
    about the black band- it looks like a black square for now.

any new thoughts?

I will try to get new well taken pictures....

Thank you again