Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stopped Air bubbler and almost killed the whole tank!!!

Default Stopped Air bubbler and almost killed the whole tank!!!

I stopped my air bubbler messing with my tank forgot to put it back on. Fell asleep and a couple hours later every fish is at the surface of the tank. My albino has all ready died and my syno cats are upside down. WTF a total disaster in my tank rite now.
    The air is back on and they slowly came back, I can't believe what I found. If it was any later they would have all been dead. I have killed so many fish this year its discouraging!
    Last edited by bigkevin20; 12-20-2009 at 01:58 AM.
    In my 55G tank.
    10 Snails
    1 Plecko
    5 Synodontis Multipunctatus
    1 Sciaenochromis fryeri "Blue Hap" - Male
    1 Astatotilapia latifasciata - Female
    1 Melanochromis Johannii - Male
    1 Melanochromis auratus - Male
    1 Albino Metriaclima lombardoi - ?
    1 Red Zebra Female +10FRY
    2 Bumble Bee Pseudotropheus crabro - ?
    1 Metriaclima.Zebra Chilumba' Luwino Reef - Female
    Vid Tank http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4D2ANe_M88
    Canister Upgrade http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNUSSQyro4A

My Blue Happ, and my bumble bee were laying on the bottom of the tank. Whats crazy is that my Melanochromis auratus was fine. He was nudging all the sick fish trying to help them stay uprite. Like he knew they were sick and was helping them out, I think he did because the happ and the bumble woke up after that. Now I'm wondering does this mean that some of my water chemistry is off if this happed. I read bio wheel filters don't need bubblers is this true?
    RIP Albino I'm sorry dude!
    Last edited by bigkevin20; 12-20-2009 at 02:01 AM.
    In my 55G tank.
    10 Snails
    1 Plecko

I read bio wheel filters don't need bubblers is this true?
    One of the nice things about Bio Wheels is the agitation, surface area they provide for getting a good carbon dioxide/ oxygen exchange. For most, no added agitation would be needed. The air exchange even a small Bio Wheel provides is more than even a large "bubbler" can give.
    Nitrate Poisoning Symptoms:
    Fish gasp for breath at the water surface
    Fish hang near water outlets
    Fish is listless
    Tan or brown gills
    Rapid gill movement
    These are pretty close to what a tank starved for air exchange looks like.
    Just wonder if your “messing” didn`t let a nitrate spike loose.
    Maybe a toxin was on your hands you were not aware of?
    Best thing you can do in a situation like this is a massive water change.
    Funny, how many bad situations can be made right by no more than a water change.
    -*-John-*-
    55G of
    All Malawi,All Mbuna,All Action,All the Time

Well I tested my water and all levels are normal and all the fish look and are acting healthy again. I change my water every week and just did a massive gravel syphon change 2 days ago all my levels are perfect.
    In my 55G tank.
    10 Snails
    1 Plecko

So sorry for your loss Kevin.
    Patti the Pomeranian
    Houdini the Bearded Dragon
    Betta

Kevin, sorry for your loss. Surface agitation is so much more important than some people realize. I've learned the hard way myself. This is why I now either hook up a power head with a clip on filter or I throw a sponge filter in. And this is in addition to a HOB just in case I have an oops like you did. Not only do they add in filtration but they also provide crucial surface agitation that can be deadly as you've learned.
    Hello. And welcome! Will work for Victorians!!
    My first video!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vrczj...ature=youtu.be

I forgot to turn my heater back on once after doing a water change. Thank goodness it was during the summer and it didn't affect the fish. It was a couple of hours before I realized.
    Patti the Pomeranian
    Houdini the Bearded Dragon
    Betta

Quote Originally Posted by Cichnewbie View Post
    I forgot to turn my heater back on once after doing a water change. Thank goodness it was during the summer and it didn't affect the fish. It was a couple of hours before I realized.
    I unplug my heaters in the summer.
    Hello. And welcome! Will work for Victorians!!
    My first video!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vrczj...ature=youtu.be

Thanks guys..But I owe big thanks to my Melanochromis Auratus my Happ and Bumble were on the gravel barley up rite. I got my net and was hitting the bumble she would not even move then the Melanochromis auratus came in and nudge her up rite then pushed her up and made her swim when she fail he pushed her up again. By now the air is back on and all the fish slowly came out of there graves. I have never had such a massive save, now am I lucky. I'm not to upset about the albino but would have been devastated over the loss of my expensive Syno M's or my Happ or bumble bees. And I was sure they were not coming back then all of a sudden there happy again.

I'm stuck in my apartment hear in PA crazy snow storm and my Magnum wont start needs a jump. So I was eating "brownies" and made me a couple of drinks and fell asleep, glad i woke up when i did 3:30am any later the whole tank would of been a loss.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 035.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	13588  
    Last edited by bigkevin20; 12-20-2009 at 09:38 AM.
    In my 55G tank.
    10 Snails
    1 Plecko

BigKevin, that cannister modification is very interesting indeed, but the powerhead does not seem to be arranged to provide much surface agitation (read oxygentation). The normal cannnister configuration would typically be to position a spraybar horizontally and near the surface, with the holes angled upwards so as to provide maximum surface agitation. Maybe less throughput on the filter but more oxygenation. If you can somehow evolve your concept a bit further so that the Maxijet causes significant surface turbulence you might not need that bubbler (or not need it full time anyways).

Alternately, the combo of a cannister (with spraybar) supplemented by a hob filter (in this case, say an AC50 or an AC70 or equivalent) is hard to beat on a tank this size. You get more filtration, enough output from two sources to cause agitation over pretty much the whole surface area, and cleaning the hob is an easy and convenient way to remove some of the waste weekly (meaning the cannister won't need to be cleaned as often). Not knocking your cannister mod, but this approach is tried and true.

Good luck with it whichever way you go.

Quote Originally Posted by DogWalker View Post
    BigKevin, that cannister modification is very interesting indeed, but the powerhead does not seem to be arranged to provide much surface agitation (read oxygentation). The normal cannnister configuration would typically be to position a spraybar horizontally and near the surface, with the holes angled upwards so as to provide maximum surface agitation. Maybe less throughput on the filter but more oxygenation. If you can somehow evolve your concept a bit further so that the Maxijet causes significant surface turbulence you might not need that bubbler (or not need it full time anyways).

Alternately, the combo of a cannister (with spraybar) supplemented by a hob filter (in this case, say an AC50 or an AC70 or equivalent) is hard to beat on a tank this size. You get more filtration, enough output from two sources to cause agitation over pretty much the whole surface area, and cleaning the hob is an easy and convenient way to remove some of the waste weekly (meaning the cannister won't need to be cleaned as often). Not knocking your cannister mod, but this approach is tried and true.

Good luck with it whichever way you go.

That's a good point, I have made some major upgrades since my first cansister flow upgrade post. I turned the bubbler off to first take some pictures of the tank, "this picture actually" and forgot to put it back on. So this is a couple of hours before the albino died, with the air off. I have a hydor light/bubble combo and a maxijet 1200 modded to 1600 gph pointed at the surface on a timer plus my canister filter supercharged with 2 500gph power heads. And now that I think about it, this happened when the timer was off on the maxi, if my air was on this would have never happened. I purposely added the maxijet because it breaks my water surface very well and the fish like the major water flow. So actually when every thing is on and working the way it should I have the canister flow upgrade, air bubbler and 1600 gph at the surface.

Oh yeah and I removed all my plants how do you like it? That was the whole point of me turning the pumps and air off I wanted to post pics of my newly rearange tank and no more fake plants. lol...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2292.jpg 
Views:	478 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	13587  
    Last edited by bigkevin20; 12-20-2009 at 09:13 AM.
    In my 55G tank.
    10 Snails
    1 Plecko

what kind of "brownies" were you eating there kev? im sorry to hear about your loss, at least you made a save on the remaining fish. I am a firm believer in air bubblers, i have a hydor light/bubble combo, an 18 inch bubble strip connected to a whisper 60, and a powerhead also hooked up to the whisper. then i have a HOB and my canister, it looks like my fish are swimming in champainge(sp?) my pleco especially loves the powerhead, and he can often be found swimming up and down in the current and bubbles from it.

The kind that make you fall asleep and forget abut your tank. lol...
    In my 55G tank.
    10 Snails
    1 Plecko

Ok, well you obviously have it all taken into account in your setup...

We all forget to plug things back in once in awhile (with me it's usually heaters). I just figure the filters are the equipment I'm least likely to forget to plug back in (dunno why, maybe it's just me) so I like to rely on them for the majority of the oxygenation work. On some tanks I do supplement them with bubblers and powerheads but those don't need to be (and aren't) on full-time.

Sorry about the losses though... hang in there, you've come a long way quickly!

i think i've had some of those brownies before, well except i didn't have a fish tank at the time. I never unplug things during a wc as i've set everything low enough that it isn't effected during. I do have to stop flow in my canister, but so far i've remembered to turn it back on when i finish.