Thread: Please help cichlid swimming upside down at top of tank

Default Please help cichlid swimming upside down at top of tank

mY Malawi Blue dolphin looks as though he has been attacked by another of my fish and is now swimming upside in top corner of tank and gasping slightly. One fin is almost completely gone and there is some red colouring at the base of it. I have checked water levels and they are fine there is also plenty of oxygen in tank and tank is at 26 degrees. All the other fish , some which are much smaller are fine. What can I do?

if you have an isolation tank, or a hosptial tank move him there, treat with aquarium salt, and give him awhile to recoup, he may or may not regrow the fin, but the open wound is a open road for disease and that needs to be treated asap. if you have no isolation tank, then you can treat your whole tank with salt, as it wont harm the other fish, it will reduce there stress and allow them to build up a better slime coat.

Thank you, I will try that.

I couldn't find much info on how much salt I should use? Is there a general guide when using salt as a treatment?

dont use table salt, use aquarium salt, should have it at walmart, petco, etc. should have instructions on how much to use per gallon, then it's simple multiplication and the nice thing about the salt is it doesn't get filtered out, so when doing a water change, you would just add X tsp times X gallons of new water. I use API brand aquarium salt and its suggested to use 1 rounded tablespoon to 5gallons of water.

thanks again for your help

Sorry about your fish.
    That kind of thing can happen when keeping fish with high territorial/sexual aggressiveness.
    Having a plan to deal with situations, just like yours, is a big plus.
    We all need a basic set of materials, some you might already have, but have not looked at as aquarium supplies.
    A waterproof, non toxic container to act as a “hospital tank” is a must have item.
    5-10 gallon will work for most situations. This size sterlite/Rubbermaid is very cheap. It`s size is such that it can be stored most anywhere. Most will come with a lid, to keep it clean and ready for instant use.
    This container can hold all your “emergency ward” tools when not in use.
    Aquarium salt, non iodized table salt can be used.
    An air pump, with some tubing and diffusing system. I prefer the small, in tank filters, which are often sold as a package, with air pump, filter housing, and an initial media pack.
    A small heater would round out your “ambu-tank”.
    Other medications can be on hand as well, though I tend not to use any more chemicals than absolutely necessary, as they have the potential to cause as much damage as the injury you are trying to treat.
    With these few, inexpensive tools on hand. You can deal with 99% of your tank emergency/rescue situations
    Good luck with your fish..
    -*-John-*-
    55G of
    All Malawi,All Mbuna,All Action,All the Time

yep kaiser has some good advice, as always. any update on the fish?

Would I be right to assume you could just siphon some of your tank water to be used in a the hospital tank setup?

Quote Originally Posted by chase0830 View Post
    Would I be right to assume you could just siphon some of your tank water to be used in a the hospital tank setup?
    Unless you had a water borne disease, that is what I would do.
    Less stress to an already injured fish.
    -*-John-*-
    55G of

Quote Originally Posted by KaiserSousay View Post
    Unless you had a water borne disease, that is what I would do.
    Less stress to an already injured fish.
    Hey, What's up John. I am not trying to hijack thread, but I just finished cycling my first tank(no stock yet) and wanted to have a hospital tank on hand. This thread was perfect for helping me with what I would need.

Often the , “been there, done that”, of others can really help.
    Would love to take full credit for the whole Ambu-Tank concept., but that would not be true.
    It came from allot of sources.
    Funny,
    I can remember that, but not where I put that pipe fitting I have been looking for.
    -*-John-*-
    55G of

kaiser its at home depot

I run a filter on one of my established tanks to switch over to a hospital tank so there are no cycling issues. Cycled tank is important when treating a fish.
    Quote Originally Posted by maccichlid View Post
    at least when i smack you, it will be with a prize-worthy koi, not some common carp.