Thread: Peacock/Oscars??

Default Peacock/Oscars??

Okay, You guys are all going to end up disliking me lol. But as my previous Topic i am new to all this. Well I've done some looking around and i can't find what im trying to look for. But i'm really falling in love with the Rubin Red Peacock Cichlid. But what i want to know is, Will my Oscars, Convits (Zebra Cichlid) & Goldfish that is about 5 inches.

I'll i've managed to find on the Peacocks is this here....

Possible Tank Mates: Other Lake Malawi cichlids, but Mbunas should be avoided. Haplochromis species usually work quite well.
    But all my looking, and i might not be even looking in the right direction, But can't find nothing on if my other fish and the Peacock, And possibly still in air about getting a Jack Dempsey. I'm just trying to find out what i can before spending money etc.

So if anybody can please help me i'd appreciate it. Thank You. And sorry for being so "n00bish" about all this. But i love my fish and i don't want issues.

not to be mean, i just dont understand what you said so please dont take this in a mean way but, whats your question?

I would not put your peacock in the tank with your other fish. Different water params, different diet as a whole, and different temperament as well.

Yeah, scrap the idea about the Peacock, as the water requirements are completely different from your existing stock. The Jack Dempsey would be a better possibility.

Okay sorry about the not making sense, I guess i wasen't awake enough. I just had gotten up to head to work. But thanks on the responces i did get. I did want to know if they would work together or not or have problams with the other fish. But did see that the Water Conditions and Diet wouldn't be to good. So that has me back peddling alittle bit. So i may just end up getting a JD instead. Still in rubbing chin stage lol.

I'm just looking for a real nice looking fish, Colorful, Gets 5 - 6+ Inches. That would work with the fish i got now. There in a 90g atm. So i'm still kinda looking around. SO if anybody has any pointers on a fish that would fit what i'm looking for, Liking the brighter colors. But don't really want ot get into the lines thats been injected with dyes. Not to much into that personally.

But Thank You Guys.

I wouldnt do it. We tend to discourage people from mixing SA, CA and african fish. To be honest diet is really not a problem, peacocks are not herbivores. They are omnivores and will do fine on the same diet as the rest of the fish. As for water conditions, it depends of the fish. The oscar would be the odd man out here. Oscars are from SA. They come from soft acidic water. Your goldfish and Convict actaully come form very similar water conditons as the peacock. Lots of lakes in CA a have hard water and a high ph. For example Lake Nicrauagua has a ph over 8.0.

Okay Guy, That actually helped alot more with explaining.

Now do want to clear something up. Friend gave me the fish i have posted that i got. She was moving, And didn't want to transport them where she was going "out of town" so she gave me the fish. Yes seems odd with the wierd combo got in the tank lol.

But Thanks Again.