Thread: Convict cichlids color

Default Convict cichlids color

How long does it take convicts to really get their color? My female, Shy, is a beautiful color with bright orange-ish belly.
    Shy

The other two "black convict's", Big'n and Midget, have almost no color except for a few black splotches on them.
    Big'n

Midget

Then the "albino convict", Blanco, has very light stripes but no orange belly. Also Blanco keeps swimming at Midget with his gills wide open they then beat their tails together in circles and then Shy beats it over to break it up. Why is he doing this?
    Blanco

Sounds to me like you have 3 males and a female. Eventually you will have only one male convict in the tank with the female. The female may also perish. keep a close watch as to see who is going to be the Alpha male and remove the others before they are killed.

how big is your tank? Sometimes water quality and stress makes them lighter. Good pics!

thanks i had to sit in front of the freakin tank for close to 30min before i could get a pic of Shy. every time the camera would come up she would hide in the log or somethin lol. The pics were in a 29 gallon but now they are in a 55 gallon ill have to get a pic of the tank i have them in now.

So if i ended up with three males whats my choices for keeping the tank stocked? should i ditch the female, ditch two males keep the alpha and get two more females, or ditch all three males and get differant fish all together? Or could i move my two JD into the tank with the other two males and move the female and alpha into my 29 for breeding?

I guess its up to you as if you want to have convict fry or not. Wait and see who pairs up and put them in the 29 for now and see if the bond works or not. I like raising convicts to feed my other Cichlids as I know they are better than the Roseys or the feeders I get at the pet store. I use Guppies for this purpose as well. I don't know if your JDs are a mated pair or not. If they are then there may not be much that can be in that tank with them either. If you have 2 male JDs, one of them will probably beaten and bullied, maybe even to death. It has been my experience that 2 male Cons won't get along in the same tank unless it is big enough for both of them to stay away from each other. YOu could try heavily planting the tank for blocking line of sight but they are diggers and they do tend to look for trouble.

so i am pretty much out of luck then.... ok on to figuring out some tank mates. I have decided i am going to keep the Convict pair in the 29 gal. and maybe try and swap out the male convicts for some females.... will females stay "cichlid chill" if kept in the 55 gallon tank with maybe some other potential tank mates?

if you could swap out one male for a female that would be great. they would all live in the 55 happy. but if not no biggie.. just get some 'stuff' to put in there.. flower pots, PVC pipe, little caves or rock caves. they look small, maybe 2-2.5 in. you will be fine.
    how big are your JDs? what do you have them in?

ok so here is the set up's as of now... I moved the female and alpha male into my 29 with a pleco (i think i better move him to the 55?).

And now i have the two smaller male conicts and the two JD in the 55. The JD's are about the same size as the two male convicts.

AH! Much better. Everybody is hopefully happy now. I know you probably are. Keep us updated.

they seem to be. all four of the males have claimed a diferent rock cave.