Thread: getting conflicting advice on rotkeil severum tankmates

Thumbs up getting conflicting advice on rotkeil severum tankmates

Hey guys,im new to keeping rotkeil severums,i have kept the green variety before,but first time with these guys.Ive been searching the internet and get lots of different advice on which tankmates i can keep with them.I have a 72 gallon bowfront ,and all params and good.Im wondering what would be good tankmates for the one i have,i wouldnt be interested in another as here in canada they are expensive so buying 6 hoping for a pair would be to much,and i dont like festivums.Im wondering if a salvini and firemouth would be to aggressive for him.Also they have uraus here,but i worry the severum would fight one of them do to the same look as himself.Any ideas for me would be greatly appreciated,and this seems to be a great site with tons of info..

I have knocked the sal of my list as im reading they get very aggressive,so how about a rotkeil severum,jd,firemouth,convict and pictus cat in my 72 bowfront longterm...

There shouldn't be any real difference between keeping a Rotkeil and a standard Green "Severum", as current opinion places them as different populations of the same species, Heros efasciatus.

Beyond that, I'd leave out the convict, as singly they just have a naturally aggressive nature that makes them a hazard, even to much larger fish. The tank would eventually be too small for all of the other fish, as the 72 is barely big enough for just the Rotkeil OR the JD, with possibly the Pictus cat. Firemouth is mostly bluff, and might be alright.
    Happiness may be the door to Heaven,
    But Pleasure is not the Key.

Thanks for your reply chromedome,so the convict is out.Im curious tho on the 72 as its only 3 gallons less than the 75 and,and only less width on the sides but wider as it reaches the middle, i see post where ppl are keeping 3 severums in their 75s,and i may be wrong but dont rotkeils get smaller than regualr severums,again i may be wrong on this.So im guessing there is no way i can keep my rotkeil with a urau and pictus cat.Maybe in this size of a tank i would be better of going with some african mbuma and giving my rotkeil to a friend,as i would like more than two fish...