Thread: The best Egg Tumbler Look if your cichlid is pregnant

Default The best Egg Tumbler Look if your cichlid is pregnant

I have now made 2 tumblers and I must say you can't buy a better tumbler than the one I made today.
    If you would like to make yourself here are the instructions.
    All supplies purchased at Home Depot for about $5 and hobby lobby for about $2

What you will need:

1 -clear tube, I bought a clear tube that is used as a flourescent light sleeve. I bought the larger size tube, there were 2 sizes. more than enough to make more.

nylon screen used for screen door, make sure you get nylon not steel. Thumb

1- 90 degree pvc elbow 1 1/4"

2- 1 1/4" connector links

1- airstone

1- airpump

2- Large suction cups. I used bought these at local hobby lobby.

air tubing

1. First I cut down the clear tube, I made 1 tube about 10" and the smaller tube where the eggs will be, about 4".
    2. After you have cut your clear tube you need to cut out 2 small pieces of the nylon screen make them large enough to cover the pvc make sure you give yourself extra you can cut it of later.
    3. Drill a hole in each of the pvc links an put in the suction cups.**not the elbow. They will be a little difficult to get in but you want them to stay in and be airtight.
    4. Boil water and put in the 90 degree pvc elbow to soften it up. once it is heated clamp it down so the exit hole is more oval than circular. Should be about 1" wide at mouth. After it is formed drill a small hole in top large enough for your air tube to run through smoothly. run the tubing now with the airstone attached it will be much easier this way.
    5. after you have all your pieces cut and drilled and bent,it is time to assemble. place the screen over the pvc then press the clear tube into the pvc this should make the screen very tight. If you have issues with the clear tube fitting in the pvc sand down the pvc a little bit.
    6. once assembled it should have a connector at the very bottom then a screen then the clear tube then the other pvc connector then the other screen, then the long clear tube, and finally the 90 degree pvc.
    7. Now that it is assembled you may put the eggs in and enjoy your new tumbler.
    I stripped my eggs into a tupperware full of tank water then used a turkey baster to move them into the tumbler. here is a pic of the final product.

im new to fishkeeping and am wondering what exactly is the point of this?

when your fish get pregnant you can strip them of their eggs and put them in a tumbler and hatch the eggs in there. This way the fish stay healthier because when they hold they go about 3 weeks w/ out eating. Also they breed a lot more frequently. tumblers are great they help your cichlids pay for themselves because you can sell their babies.

not a bad diy, any action shots with the eggs tumbling?

let me know what you think. i am selling for lazy people as well PM me

Can I use this for tilapia too?

whats the best time to strip them after shes carrying