Thread: Mbuna cichlids sitting at the tank bottom.

Question Mbuna cichlids sitting at the tank bottom.

Hi Guys. Just set up my first cichlid tank. Its about 50 gals with 2 power filters and heaters. I got myself a pair of electri blue and orange. A couple of 3 inch albino oscars and a peacock cichlid. Everyone is at peace with each other. However, 5 days after setting the tank, I have noticed that my electric yellows are mostly just sitting quietly at the bottom of the tank. When I put food in they get active and eat quite well. But then again return to the bottom. I have not tested the water parameters yet but plan to. Any suggestions will be most welcome.

Wow,

Some are going to say that the mix you have is a No-Go!

I suppose the most obvious question is how did you Cycle your Tank and for how Long?

What were your Water Parameters before Cycling and what are they Now?

Why would you not have the means to Test Water (Pre & Post Stocking)?

Be prepared to answer this!

Good Luck!
    *75gal Mbuna Mixed*
    XP4 Canister>Emperor 400>Pentair Flow Kit>Tunze 6025s>VIA 300w Heaters>
    ToM Temp Alert>Odyssea 48" T5 Quad>RK2 Controller>Hanna98121>Whisper100 Air Pump

*125gal Hap/Aulo/Vic Mixed*
    FX5 Canister>Emperor 400>Pentair Flow Kit>Tunze 6045s>VIA 350w Heaters>
    Odyssea 72" PC>RKL3 Controller>Fusion700 Air Pump>Hanna98311>ToM Temp Alert
    "Oh What A Cich..cich World We Live In We Can't Escape Mad Cich..ness Cause The Damn Cichlids Win!" Willie B 1?

Welcome to the forums Sameer,

You def need to check your water parameters. There is a product called Prime which will help detoxify ammonia and nitrites. Thats is what I suspect to be the problem. Your cycle has started and your fish are being poisoned by ammoinia. Ammoinia is very toxic to fish in any concentration.If you have not cycled the tank you need to read up on the Nitrogen cycle. Here is a link.

http://www.cichlidforums.com/showthread.php?t=3116

Unfortunatly, you have been sold a bad combo of fish. The oscars should be brought back. They will grow way to large for the tank. If you know the scientific names of the electric blue and orange, that will help us ID the fish. There are several different fish that go by the name electric blue. The more info you give us the better we can help you.

get some water specs posted and either return the oscars or go buy a 125 gal tomorrow just because thats how fast they grow!!

Default Thanks for the input

The tank was already set up for a long time. It was stocked with noncichlid fishes. Problem here in Delhi is the non availability of test kits. I know it has something to do with the water quality. I have started changing 20% of thew water every three days till things settle down. I also realise the oscars were a mistake and will most probably return them. I have ordered for a PH test kit and will check that out.
    Any suggestions for a quick remedy will be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by williebone View Post
    Wow,

Some are going to say that the mix you have is a No-Go!

I suppose the most obvious question is how did you Cycle your Tank and for how Long?

What were your Water Parameters before Cycling and what are they Now?

Why would you not have the means to Test Water (Pre & Post Stocking)?

Be prepared to answer this!

Good Luck!

Default Thanks

I am hunting around for a kit here in Delhi and the Oscars are going back. Will keep you posted. Thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    get some water specs posted and either return the oscars or go buy a 125 gal tomorrow just because thats how fast they grow!!

Red face Thank you for your input

The tank was already set up for a long time. It was stocked with noncichlid fishes. Problem here in Delhi is the non availability of test kits. I know it has something to do with the water quality. I have started changing 20% of thew water every three days till things settle down. I also realise the oscars were a mistake and will most probably return them. I have ordered for a PH test kit and will check that out.

Any suggestions for a quick remedy will be appreciated.

The fishes are also now scratching themselves on the gravel. I am concerned. I would hate to loose any of them. Frantically searching for kits. I have red on the net that the scratching might be due to low PH levels. Is this true?

Thank you in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Heyguy74 View Post
    Welcome to the forums Sameer,

You def need to check your water parameters. There is a product called Prime which will help detoxify ammonia and nitrites. Thats is what I suspect to be the problem. Your cycle has started and your fish are being poisoned by ammoinia. Ammoinia is very toxic to fish in any concentration.If you have not cycled the tank you need to read up on the Nitrogen cycle. Here is a link.

http://www.cichlidforums.com/showthread.php?t=3116

Unfortunatly, you have been sold a bad combo of fish. The oscars should be brought back. They will grow way to large for the tank. If you know the scientific names of the electric blue and orange, that will help us ID the fish. There are several different fish that go by the name electric blue. The more info you give us the better we can help you.

Scraching could be due to ph, and is usually an indication that something is off in the water parameters.

I'd add that the behavior of your Yellow Labs could be caused by the Oscars bullying them. Labs are shy fish as it is and if they seek shelter most of the time, it's usually because something is chasing them.
    =========
    Been out of sight and out of (my) mind for a while. Thinking of getting another tank or 4 and rebuilding the fish room.
    =========
    check out my webpage, not fish related but a great way to kill some time! www.buenojoe.com

Default Everyone is getting along

Thank you for your input. Everyone is getting along fine in the tank. The Oscars ( 4 inches in size ) are quite peaceful and do not trouble anyone. I have also recently made caves out of slate rocks and given plenty of hiding places for the fishes.

I realise that most likely the water parameters will be off and am hunting around for a test kit.

Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
    Scraching could be due to ph, and is usually an indication that something is off in the water parameters.

I'd add that the behavior of your Yellow Labs could be caused by the Oscars bullying them. Labs are shy fish as it is and if they seek shelter most of the time, it's usually because something is chasing them.