Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Assorted Cichlid Question

Default Assorted Cichlid Question

So I was reading the post by Tom about "Assorted African Cichlids" and Identification and have a question, As i am new to keeping African Cichlids and am enjoying it so far, is it bad to purchase form the "Assorted Bin"? Is it because you don't know what your getting say species wise or are most assorted tanks on average a certain type? I really like mine except one of mine was totally blue and now is black! Which I don't understand yet and will probably be another topic. thanks for any replies
    Jason

Most mixed tanks are probably hybrids and/or species that didnt meet certain criteria to be placed in a tank with a known species.

"species that didnt meet certain criteria"? like?

like coloration, shape, etc... I mean think about it, why would they put a fish in an assorted bin and charge less if they knew what it was and could charge a few dollors more?

The LFS in Columbus I buy from, keeps one species per tank in most instances. So when they get down to the last 3 to 5 fish in the tank, they move them into a big community tank and call the inhabitants "assorted cichlids" with a reduced price. I recently took some of my excess stock (yellow labs, male ruby greens, 2 pair of afra cobue) to the store and got store credit. They put them in a tank labeled "assorted cichlids".

But .... some stores just buy "assorted cichlids" from the fish farms and they're very cheap. It's just a big grab-bag of fish that are often hybrids.

One way or another, you need to know what you are buying if you gamble on the assorted tank. This is the one and only fish I've ever bought from the assorted tank.

But I knew exactly what it was when I saw it. (An extremely aggressive fish that some one needed out of their tank, I assume. Tropheops sp. "Chilumba")

Kevin

I think that is my problem right now, Being so new to African Cichlids
    I don't know what to look for. Any links or help on the subject?
    Jason

for instance I got this little guy on the left in the "Assorted" and he looked different from the others so I went by looks maybe a mistake but I'm still learning

aeonsago, the light blue blue one on the left is Metriaclima lombardoi, known by the trade name "Kenyi". At that size, males and females are that same blue color - but as they mature the males will turn yellow. That species is known for its aggression levels.
    Need to upload a cichlid photo? Check out the Cichlid Gallery, it is free and easy to use.
    Best of all, you don't have to leave this forum to access it!

Cichlid Gallery - Fin Rot Treatment - What Did You Do Today? - What Spawned For You Today?

Hacked Nikon D5100 (x2) | Nikon 60mm f/2.8G | Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 | Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 OS | Tokina 12-24 f/4 | Yongnuo YN-560II | Yongnuo RF-603 N3 | BrianStalterPhotography.com

you better know your fish if you plan on buying out of a assorted tank. or maybe you just dont care what kind of fish it turns out to be... unless of course you know the store, and know the fish that go in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcushing View Post
    maybe you just dont care what kind of fish it turns out to be....
    I do care about what kind I have thats why I'm here. Hopfully I'll learn about cichlids from here and from other sources. I don't want to have a group of Cichlids that will be tring to kill eachother.

I like your attitude, aeonsago. What size tank are you working with?
    Need to upload a cichlid photo? Check out the Cichlid Gallery, it is free and easy to use.

Cichlid Gallery - Fin Rot Treatment - What Did You Do Today? - What Spawned For You Today?

Hacked Nikon D5100 (x2) | Nikon 60mm f/2.8G | Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 | Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 OS | Tokina 12-24 f/4 | Yongnuo YN-560II | Yongnuo RF-603 N3 | BrianStalterPhotography.com

I have a 30g now but will be increasing very soon or stay with a small amount of Cichlids like 2 or three. I don't want to go all crazy because like I said before I'm new to African Cichlids but not to aquariums as I have had my Angels for over four years now.

For the tank size you have now, you will either want to keep a dwarf mbuna species - or buy juveniles to start in the 30 that will eventually be able to live in a larger setup (55g minimum - 75g+ is better).

If you really want to keep the Met. lombardoi (remember, very aggressive species), you'll need at least a 75g.

Personally, I would recommend you try look at some of the following species for their appeal to you, and we can help you build a tank that will have good odds of working out.

Labidochromis caeruleus
    Iodotropheus sprengerae
    Cynotilapia afra
    Pseudotropheus demasoni
    Pseudotropheus saulosi
    Pseudotropheus acei

If you find any other species that catch your eye - post them as well and we can weigh in on how well they will or won't work for your needs. Check out the CichlidBase and/or CichlidGallery for ideas if you need to.

Thanks for the info and offer to help
    I do see these comming to my tank soon but I'm still
    reading up on them

Labidochromis caeruleus
    Cynotilapia afra
    Pseudotropheus acei

With those three species - you could maybe get by with a 55, but a 75 would be better because of the activity and size of the Ps. acei.