Thread: Cant get rid of cloudy water in new cichlid tank

Default Cant get rid of cloudy water in new cichlid tank

Hello everyone! I have been reading these boards for a few months while setting up my new tank and learned a lot for my first cichlid tank. I have a 4ft 60 gallon tank that I honestly didn't plan out that well. I have tried to identify the fish I have as best I could but they are all still under 2 inches so its kinda hard with some of them. I have about 50lbs of lace rock and 15lbs of PA flat rock with black gravel from petsmart. I'm running a penquin 350 and ehiem 2213 classic. The tank has been up and running for about 8 weeks now but I still have white cloudy water. It has gone through what I though was its cycle with nitirite and nitrate spikes and now is at almost zero on both with ph about 7.5. I usually dont feed them in the morning and they get two small meals in the evenings when I get home but the cludy water seems to not clear up. Should I be doing anything else or just continue to wait? Thanks!
    2- Copadichromis borleyi
    1- Maylandia estherae
    1- Maylandia Sp. Msobo -
    1- cynotilapia spec”black eastern” 1-Metriaclima sp.
    1-monodactylus argenteus-
    1-Cyrtocara moorii
    1-Haplochromis livingstoni
    1-tangerine mbuna…...rusty
    1-Maylandia callainos
    1-Maylandia lombardoi
    1-Rainbow Shark
    1-silver tip catfish

Your nitrAte should be rising by now which is what you want. Your ammonia and nitrIte should fall to 0 and your cycle will be finished. Did the water cloud up initially, clear up and cloud up again?

Have you added any fish lately? You could try not feeding them for a few days.
    Quote Originally Posted by maccichlid View Post
    at least when i smack you, it will be with a prize-worthy koi, not some common carp.

oops I forgot to welcome you to the forums! Welcome aboard!
    Quote Originally Posted by maccichlid View Post
    at least when i smack you, it will be with a prize-worthy koi, not some common carp.

I haven't added any fish for some time now and it has been cloudy in different degrees for at least 2 weeks now. I've been only putting the lights on for 6 hrs or so a day as well. I just can't seem to get it water clear and I'm not a big fan of using the chemicals to help.
    2- Copadichromis borleyi
    1- Maylandia estherae
    1- Maylandia Sp. Msobo -
    1-Cyrtocara moorii
    1-Maylandia callainos
    1-Maylandia lombardoi
    1-Rainbow Shark
    1-silver tip catfish

check for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate, of you have any nitrite or ammonia, your not fully cycled, add prime or some other type of conditioner that can neutralize it. if you have nitrate, its ok your supposed too.

best thing i can say is to do water changes, 20-50% every otehr day maybe till it clears up. oh and make sure your filter media isnt dirty/gunked up to the point that its being bypassed (on the 350 look at the little channels on either side of the intake tubes, if theres water coming down there, thats bypass. a 2213 cant have bypass)

also try and drop some carbon into the 350, you can normally use some kind of media basket (sold seperately) for this. theres carbon in the filter media but it might help to have some more.

I checked the nitrite, nitrate and ammonia and all are zero. I will try some carbon. Do you think one of the pieces of lace rock could be clouding up the water? They have been in there for about a month now so I cant image they would be an issue.
    2- Copadichromis borleyi
    1- Maylandia estherae
    1- Maylandia Sp. Msobo -
    1-Cyrtocara moorii
    1-Maylandia callainos
    1-Maylandia lombardoi
    1-Rainbow Shark
    1-silver tip catfish

Welcome to the forums.
    Do not be alarmed, cloudiness to a different degree is a normal process of any (it seems) new tank. I had it in all of mine. If it isn't greenish (which can hint on an algae problem) it is most probably a bacterial bloom that is typical for a normal cycling. I also pretty much sure you are in the middle of the cycle and not done yet due to the fact that your nitrates are 0. They must show some reading (about 20 and higher) while the ammonia and nitrites are 0 for the tank to be declared cycled.
    Jcushing's suggestion about adding fresh carbon is a good one. You can also try one of those water clarifying additions. However, it is a rather an aesthetic treatment, providing temporary solution.
    Everything will balance itself soon, just wait and see.
    Cut on food, though, and step up water changes, as suggested. It is always great while cycling a new tank.
    Val
    125g: Cyphotilapia frontosa
    72g BF: Labidochromis caeruleus, Iodotropheus sprengerae, Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei" (Msuli), Pseudotropheus cyaneorhabdos (Maingano), Metriaclima estherae

"The lyfe so short, the craft so long to lerne..." Geoffrey Chaucer
    "I wouldn't carry the son-of-a-bitch if it wasn't dangerous." Texas Ranger Charlie Miller

Thanks. I will put the carbon in and up the water changes and wait..
    2- Copadichromis borleyi
    1- Maylandia estherae
    1- Maylandia Sp. Msobo -
    1-Cyrtocara moorii
    1-Maylandia callainos
    1-Maylandia lombardoi
    1-Rainbow Shark
    1-silver tip catfish

no nitrates = not cycled.... or you have a ton of plants and or doing daily 50% water changes lol

just do water changes daily or every other day, maybe 5-10% daily, and add some carbon. it will clear up soon dont worry. it may sound like alot but 1 5gal bucket would be about 10 percent for you and take no time at all.... it would also add up to a little over 50% for the week.

in this type of case doing more frequent smaller water changes is better than doing 1 large change because it will keep the bad stuff at constant safer lower levels
    Last edited by Jcushing; 11-24-2008 at 12:13 PM.

So I have been doing the water changes and added the carbon and the water seems to be clearing up. The amonia and nitrite are 0 and Nitrate is about 20 so I'm pretty sure the tank is fully cycled. For the most part the water seems clear but it still slightly cloudy. I think its on its way though. Thanks for the help.
    2- Copadichromis borleyi
    1- Maylandia estherae
    1- Maylandia Sp. Msobo -
    1-Cyrtocara moorii
    1-Maylandia callainos
    1-Maylandia lombardoi
    1-Rainbow Shark
    1-silver tip catfish

glad it seems to be working out for you!