Thread: Malaysian Wood in African Cichlid tank

Default Malaysian Wood in African Cichlid tank

Ok here is the deal. I know its not smart to use wood in the tank since it will soften the water and lower the PH, thats fine, and I have been able to balance the tank using baking soda and epsom salt.

Currently I am working on removing the yellow tint by using some resins (moderately effective, but a large really cool piece of wood).

The problem is that there seems to be some sort of mold/algae growing on the wood. I think it may be mold since it is on the dark underside of the wood, and white/furry in color and texture. Is this something that will take care of it self or should i be doing something to stop this growth. I have thought about removing the wood from the tank and soaking it in a hot bathtub with some anti-fungal.

Has anyone dealt with this before?

Noob

...I've had it happen in my North American Natives tank and my "Log Jam" Panaque tank. With those two tanks though I have animals that eat wood (crayfish and Panaque sp. plecos) that ended up cleaning it themselves. I no longer have my crayfish in the NA natives tank and what appears to be a fungus is coming back...it doesn't seem to hurt my water quality or fish so I'm not too sure what to advise...My suspicion would be that a fungus that eats wood would be specialized to that diet and probably won't affect your fish.

As far as worrying about the wood softening the water or lowering the pH, my suggestion would be to make sure that the water is well buffered, crushed coral and limestone in the media basket or in the aquascaping itself should balance out a little bit of wood.
    I should use this space to promote the photo contest...but I can't think of anything clever...

I have kept the same type of wood for years. I is still turning teh water yellow. I have some in my planted tank and a 75 G tang tank. I also keep a bunch of adult Bristlenose plecos in there. I keep crushed coral in the fileters and also use Caribsea African Cichlid Mix Ivory Coast as my substrate and have no problems with teh ph dropping. I keep the pH at about 8.8.

so even after years, the wood is still releasing tannins, i dont like the sound of that...

The white mold sounds either to, well mold, or a sap or something similar that is leeching from the wood. If it doesn't affect your fish, just give it time. see if it goes away. In the mean time, try vacuuming it off while cleaning and such, just to miminize it.