Thread: New aquarists look here.

Default New aquarists look here.

This is the beginning of the master sticky.
    As time goes by all of the stickies in here will become articles and this will link to them.

Setting Up Your New Cichlid Aquarium by RustyNut

"Sacrafishal" Cycling by RustyNut

Basic Cichlid Filtration by RustyNut

Stocking Your New tank By Angela Harris

Fish FAQs!

Glossary of hobby terms
    Last edited by RustyNut; 06-15-2009 at 08:50 PM. Reason: fIXED LINK
    The photocontest, like everything else is behind schedule. You get some links back today.

Hey im new to the forum and recently about to start up a 30 gallon cichlid tank......at first I wanted to start a South American tank but after research thought twice.......so now im going with Malawi....any advice on substrate, filtration, decor..And maybe some good choices for species?

There sevral options depending on continent. I would not want to lock you down like that. For South America I would look into the Apistogramma or Mikrogeophagus genera. For Africans I would consider something from the Cynotilapia genus, Labidochromis caeruleus, Iodotropheus sprengerae or a smaller Julidochromis species and a shell dweller. Others will chime in with more ideas and numbers.
    The photocontest, like everything else is behind schedule. You get some links back today.

Thanks..didn't even know that link was there.....as a filter do you recommend an over the back or canister?

actually we recommend one of each! Cichlids are extremely dirty fish compared to most and have redundancy is a big plus too. Most of us load the Cannister heavy on Bio-media and then depend on the HOB for mechanical mainly. But each filter should do a little of each anyways.
    Check here for more basic info.
    "Cichlids aren't aggressive, they are territorial. Aggression is a response to inadequate territory for their breeding and feeding needs."

"A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

My Tanks

"Cichlids aren't aggressive, they are territorial. Aggression is a response to inadequate territory for their breeding and feeding needs."

"A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

My Tanks