Thread: How do you get a catfish out of a log?!

Question How do you get a catfish out of a log?!

I have a 4" Platydoras costatus (Raphael/talking catfish)- I was taking everything out of my 125 g to add all new rocks...I have two fake twisted tree things that have numerous holes - he goes from one to the other at the other end of the tank during the night...so, I pull one log out of the water and I hear a flish flipping around inside. So I put it back under the water and shook it upside down, around, set it down, rattled it..

He wouldn't come out!! I had to put my tank back together with the darn plastic branch left in there.

What do I do? or does he own that log and I'm SOL?

whenever i had a fish stuck in something i would lift it up out the water and back down again creating a fast current over and over again and eventually whoever was being stubborn got splashed out of the ornament.
    <3 Kitty

I didn't think of that. So maybe I could have held it in front of one of my Koralia pumps too- at 600 gph, there is a strong flow up close. I just didn't want to hurt it but I wasn't about to touch it..plus if I heard it "talk" I'd probably drop the darn thing on the floor! Well, he won the battle - he's got his plastic home for now...I don't even want to think about rearranging things again. Whew, that was a lot of work.

Thanks.

%@##$ Catfish!!! Last night I wanted to finally get thetwisted plastic logs out. There are two in the tank so I looked through the holes, shook it and shook it again out of water...nothing, so it had to be under a rock somewhere. The logs went on the floor and 20-30 minutes I removed every rock in my tank! NOWHERE!! Then I freaked out and put the logs back in the water...that sucker was in one of the logs!! Well it was still alive!...So I followed your suggestion and I also shook it...the tail was dangling out and I thought it was dead...Nope...that sucker was alive and holding on to the sides of the log!! I touched it and the white stripes were prickley...it flared it's body and held on!...30 minutes later I finally forced it out with a spoon and the handle end of a butter knife!

Unreal...that guy won't get anymore logs to live in!

yeah i've had that happen to me before its unbelievable how they get stuck in there. i had one stuck in a rock for days when i finally pulled him out i wasn't sure if i was gonna rip him in half or get him out! but he was fine.

I couldn't get myself to pull on him after I touched him once...spikey and slippery...not fun. How did you actually hold on to it?

Pulling him from a log is nearly impossible. Wait until lights out (they are nocturnal) and feed some good food like bloodworms. You may have to wait a little bit but it will come out to feed eventually, remove the logs when it eating. Do this during the day will be useless. I never see mine during the day, always at night. BTW, I have had a Rapheal last 3 days out of the water in a log. My friend thought I bought a frog b/c it was croaking. He picked up the driftwood and inside was a raphael.

lol - Unbelievable - 3 days! ...and I felt bad for 20 minutes that I almost killed him! Thanks for the advice...live and learn...next time, it will be lights out!
    Actually..unless he can cling to a regular rock, there is no other place for him to keep himself. I've learned my lesson!

How do you get a catfish out of a log...
    I don't know why this struck me as so funny...I guess it's just cos it sounds like the beginning to a really bad joke!

Glad you got your fishy out, at any rate!

my guy really wasnt too slippery but hes was pretty prickly. i was just determined to get him out. in hind site i should of left him be

sorry didn't mean to laugh but it turned out to be a funny thread.
    i just had an upside down cat try to commit suicide by way of filter intake tube while he was in temporary tank luckily i was standing right next to the tank doing something else when he did it i ended up pulling him out with pliers he's back in his 55 now.
    Why are all my hobbies so @#$%&*! expensive!?!?

lol - sure laugh at our misery...a pliers huh? Didn't that hurt your poor catfish...but I suppose, better than the alternative!

honest it was the only way!
    Why are all my hobbies so @#$%&*! expensive!?!?

hahahaa, nice job, my catfish got stuck on the filter, had to get the poor thing out... (place lotsa plants there so it won't happen agian)
    Pomocanthus imperator
    Labidochromis caeruleus
    Carassius auratus auratus
    Corydoras aeneus
    Otoclinus affinis
    Betta Splendens
    Xiphophorus hellerii
    Poecilia reticulata