Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NITROGEN CYCLE--links to some articles

125G ~ FX5 w/ Hydor ETH300 ~ RKL Controller ~ 2x: Koralia 750s ~ PFS
    -Male Peacocks: Bi-Color - Flametail - German Red - Blue Regal - Benga Yellow - Sunburst - Firefish - Masoni - Sulfur Head - sp Hybrid
    -Male Haps: Makonde Yellow Blackfin - Taiwan Reef - Yellow Blaze - Mbenji - Mylochromis ericotaenia - Star Sapphire - Livingstonii - Spilonotus Tanzia
    -Mbuna: 5x Yellow Labs

VIDEO
    : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRJYevZpxqU

Hey everyone... I know a lot of these show a fishless cycle which requires PURE ammonia.

Now I spent a lot of time searching for pure ammonia and my local grocery stores (trading co, krogers, meijers, walmart, albertsons, etc.) and then I looked into the drug stores (walgreens, Rite Aid) still no PURE they all had scents and additives, so I went to home depot, lowes, and ace hardware. I still could not find any PURE ammonia...

After getting very frustrated and thinking of just doing the tried and true "cruel" method of using tough fish, I actually found a brand that is pure and is CHEAP, I mean dirt cheap, talking $6.00 for a case of 6-64oz bottles... Its called LA's Totally Awesome: Pure Ammonia...

It's sold at nearly every dollar store... Dollar Tree, Family Dollar, and Dollar General... So, if you can't find usable ammonia to start your cycle with, then hit up the local dollar stores and try to find LA's Totally Awesome.... Hope it helps.
    ><((((>`..`..`...><((((>. RoSCoE
    `.. , . .`.. ><((((>`..`..`...><((((>

Good tip! Thanks for sharing.

I went out and purchased this ammonia based on your post and upon opening it I can almost smell something when I waft it towards me. Also, it feels soapy? To test this I poured a little into a plugged sink and ran the water. It soaped up like dish-soap or hand-soap would. Is it possible that I bought the same brand from the Dollar Tree store but it contains surfactants? My understanding was that it shouldn't bubble.

Did yours do this?

Quote Originally Posted by eocsorymmot View Post
    Hey everyone... I know a lot of these show a fishless cycle which requires PURE ammonia.

Now I spent a lot of time searching for pure ammonia and my local grocery stores (trading co, krogers, meijers, walmart, albertsons, etc.) and then I looked into the drug stores (walgreens, Rite Aid) still no PURE they all had scents and additives, so I went to home depot, lowes, and ace hardware. I still could not find any PURE ammonia...

After getting very frustrated and thinking of just doing the tried and true "cruel" method of using tough fish, I actually found a brand that is pure and is CHEAP, I mean dirt cheap, talking $6.00 for a case of 6-64oz bottles... Its called LA's Totally Awesome: Pure Ammonia...

It's sold at nearly every dollar store... Dollar Tree, Family Dollar, and Dollar General... So, if you can't find usable ammonia to start your cycle with, then hit up the local dollar stores and try to find LA's Totally Awesome.... Hope it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by purple View Post
    I went out and purchased this ammonia based on your post and upon opening it I can almost smell something when I waft it towards me. Also, it feels soapy? To test this I poured a little into a plugged sink and ran the water. It soaped up like dish-soap or hand-soap would. Is it possible that I bought the same brand from the Dollar Tree store but it contains surfactants? My understanding was that it shouldn't bubble.

Did yours do this?

Just go go ACE hardware and buy their janitorial strength ammonia. Problem solved......
    125G ~ FX5 w/ Hydor ETH300 ~ RKL Controller ~ 2x: Koralia 750s ~ PFS
    -Male Peacocks: Bi-Color - Flametail - German Red - Blue Regal - Benga Yellow - Sunburst - Firefish - Masoni - Sulfur Head - sp Hybrid
    -Male Haps: Makonde Yellow Blackfin - Taiwan Reef - Yellow Blaze - Mbenji - Mylochromis ericotaenia - Star Sapphire - Livingstonii - Spilonotus Tanzia
    -Mbuna: 5x Yellow Labs

VIDEO
    : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRJYevZpxqU

thanks (i think) for your curt response, 55...
    but i was inquiring directly about the other ammonia...

i have projects in mind that require a lot of ammonia and there is only 1 Ace's HW in North Austin and it's a long drive from me... if there is another place or a work around for ammonia I'd rather do that then drive an hour to Ace's

whatever

I've read about cycling your tank, but still have questions on how to remedy problems. If I could just get some advice as to what to do next with where I am in my cycling. Here is the short end of it.

After setting up tank a month ago and putting a dozen "Tuffy's", small guppy like fish, in the tank I took my first reading on 10/7.

Date Test Results

10/7 Ph 7.8

Nh 0-2.5

NO2 5, scale only goes to 5

NO3 0

After test I added Ph down. Following day tested ph and it was down to 7.2 (will explain soon). About a week later changed approx. 15% water, cleaned sponges in old tank water, rinsed off amonia rings and charcoal bags & returned them to my Fluval 205 canister. (Mistake, I know, but have question about that later). I also cleaned my Fluval C3 HOB. The following day I retested all and found the following results:

Date Test Result

10/17 Ph 7.2
    NH 0
    NO2 2-5 (colors are so close, leaning 5)
    NO3 80 - 160 (colors are so close, leaning to 160)

I'm using an API Master test kit. Is this normal? Any help is much appreciated.

I lowered my ph because I've decided go go w/

4 Black Veil Angel 75-82 F, KH 1-5, pH 5.8-7.0

3 Rainbow fish 72-77 F, KH 9-19, pH 7.0-8.0
    12 Jumbo Cardinal Tetra 73-81 F, KH 2-6, pH 5.5-7.5
    3 Rams 72-79 F, KH 5-12, pH 5.0-7.0
    3 Apistogrammas 72-86 F, KH 2-15, pH 5.0-7.0

I put this list together w/ Tom of Rainforest Farms International. Any knowledge of him, good or bad?

Thanks for your time and any input.

Phil

Default how many water changes are too many during nitrogen cycle

I have been doing water changes everyday since about the forth day of starting a brand new tank. I am doing this because every day the ammonia and or the nitrite levels are too high according to a chart I found at this website:
    http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/bi...rogencycle.htm

The chart recommends things like 25% to 50% water changes and cutting food by half or all untill the levels lower.

Am I changing water too often or is all this nessasary?

Am I changing water too often or is all this nessasary?[/QUOTE]

Surfsca,

Yes, you are changing your water way too much. At the beginning of any new aquarium, you need a few "sacraficial fish" to help your tank complete its cycling. Stop changing the water and let the tank "cycle" for about 4-6 weeks. During that time the readings are going to be way off on the amonia, nitrites and nitrates. In time the numbers will fall into line. Look for the details about cycling on this site. It's a great site, filled w/ info for all aquarists. I'd suggest reading the the beginner info.

good luck.

hi, all links posted by you are so useful and informative ofr us..