Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Minimum Tank Sizes for Malawians

Kribs aren't Mbunas cichlids, like you originally wanted in your tank. I believe you said you wanted to stick to straight mbunas cause you're picky like that when told about the red in peacocks for color. Anyways they are from a River in Niger and shouldn't be with aggressive mbunas. Here's something i found
    "Kribensis cichlids will work well in community aquariums with peaceful fish of the same or larger size, but avoid housing them with slow mowing species with long and flowing fins, e.g. Angelfish, since they may nip the fins of such fish. If you wish to house your Kribs with other cichlids it is advisable to avoid species that will compete for bottom supremacy with the Kribensis."
    If you do decide to keep them then you want maybe some Ps. Acei that have a more gentle temperament. Wouldn't recommend any more than 3 species in an African cichlid tank of 36". It's ultimately your tank and you will do what makes you happy, but this is just a recommendation.
    125g- Labidochromis caerulous, Sciaenochromis fryeri Maleri Island, Protomelas Taeniolatus Male, Cynotilapia Sp. Gallireya Reef (White Top Hara) W/C + F1

40g- Oblique zebras

20g long- ocellatus "gold", calvus "white" Chaitika

Thank you for your advice and input. I did already know that they werent mbuna but i did not know originally. Since i commented on this thread i have decided to trade in my kribs danios and loach for store credit. I am going to keep my 2 OB zebra and get 2 more female zebra and 6 ps. Saulosi (2m:4f) i think i want to add a few more of a 3rd species since i really like brichardi but im going to see how those 10 fish do before i make any more plans. Plus i dont know if brichardi is a mbuna or hap...havent done the research yet just know my friend had one and i liked it
    10 gallon - pelvicachromis pulcher, cryptocoryne wendtii, rotala indica, anubias nana.

45 gallon - labidochromis caeruleus, iodotropheus sprengarae, bristlenose plecosthumus, paralabidochromis chromogynos piebald.

Bricardis arent either. they are From Lake Tanganyika. ive got 4 of them and they are quite fiesty little buggers.
    125g- Labidochromis caerulous, Sciaenochromis fryeri Maleri Island, Protomelas Taeniolatus Male, Cynotilapia Sp. Gallireya Reef (White Top Hara) W/C + F1

40g- Oblique zebras

Good to know. Any recommendations? I would want to get 4 of whatever i get
    10 gallon - pelvicachromis pulcher, cryptocoryne wendtii, rotala indica, anubias nana.

45 gallon - labidochromis caeruleus, iodotropheus sprengarae, bristlenose plecosthumus, paralabidochromis chromogynos piebald.

Well in a 45 you could do the Ps. Acei. They are common but actually quite fun. They are the first to greet me as I walk in the door. Even after fed I've got a few that will hang tight and just watch me. Very mild mannered.

Then you could get yellow labs. I'd only get the ones with the black stipe on the dorsal and the black pelvic fin. To me they seem prettier. The Cynotilapia Afras are alway a good pic. They are a smaller less mbuna and are very pretty as well. What I normally do is go to davesfish.com or livefishdirect.com and start clicking on fish and you will eventually come across 1 you really like. I actually do this on a daily basis. Try it and come back and post it to see what people say.

40g- Oblique zebras

I spend quite a bit of time on both those sites as well aqually lol. I will look into the species you hVe mentioned. I already know Bout acei and the yellow lab but not the afra. Probably not the labs tho because more than half of my saulosi will already be yellow. Do you know of any all black mbuna?

A 36" tank is more suited to a single species of mbuna if that's what you're leaning towards. There's no way that Acei are a good fit in a tank that size. Some even question them in a 4' 55 gallon, but I would say that's the minimum. They can grow to 6"+, and are constantly on the move, so they need a lot of swimming room. If you are stuck with that tank, I would do a single group of Afra. Tanganyikans, on the other hand, would allow you to mix a couple of species, such as one of the shellie species and perhaps a pair of Julies or Calvus/Comps.

Right now my plans are 4 OB zebra and 6 saulosi. With a pleco. Im sure i can do that. But i was thinking adding another species in the future....WHEN i get a bigger tank

Watch the zebras, they get big and they can be pretty mean. If they're small right now, you'll be OK for a bit. But like the Acei, not the right tank for them once they get some size.

Almost all sources ive found online say they get 4" one is 3" and the other 3.5" right now. Do they get bigger than that?

Here's a profile, and I've heard of cases where they can be as big as 6". If they stay smaller than 5", then size wise they'd probably be OK for a while. It's the aggressiveness that may make the tank seem smaller than it really is.
    http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profile...es.php?id=2316

Yeah the larger one cN be a terror already he owns the tank. And where do you find these profiles? I cant find them on the site...