Thread: going to do my first planted tank

Default going to do my first planted tank

I am planning to use Java ferns, some anubias and maybe something else. I just ordered these 2 pieces of driftwood which I think will look awesome in the tank with this black gravel that is underneath the pieces of driftwood in the pics. I am planning on getting tiger barbs, angelicus loaches, a gold nugget pleco and maybe a bristlenose or 2. Any other recommendations on plants or fish would be great.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	37d5_1.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	10204   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cef1_1.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	10205  

wow that is one awesome looking peice of driftwood in the first pic!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    wow that is one awesome looking peice of driftwood in the first pic!!!!
    YESSSSSSSSSSIR

amazon swords are pretty tight in my opinion, if you can find hair grass it looks pretty sweet as a ground covering! ive searched for it but cant find it locally... ps. i have java fern, amazon sword, and hornwort all growing in my african tank... java moss didnt work to well cause they always pulled it out from under the fishing line and chewed it up and spit it out... kinda frustrating! lol good luck, i want to dabble in planted tanks as well but not ready to make the investment yet.
    ohhh, ill take one of those, one of those, three of those, two of those.... doh... not enough tank....

Quote Originally Posted by Brett the Bomb View Post
    amazon swords are pretty tight in my opinion, if you can find hair grass it looks pretty sweet as a ground covering! ive searched for it but cant find it locally... ps. i have java fern, amazon sword, and hornwort all growing in my african tank... java moss didnt work to well cause they always pulled it out from under the fishing line and chewed it up and spit it out... kinda frustrating! lol good luck, i want to dabble in planted tanks as well but not ready to make the investment yet.
    Its not gonna be for africans

thats a nice piece of driftwood on the left!! i always walk through my yard and woods to find pieces for free! i have an ok planted tank and i agree with the amazon swords and the java fern. java fern is super easy and multiplies like crazy. i started out wih a tiny sprig and now i have a piece of driftwood covered in java fern.
    <3 Kitty

No, i was mearly saying that some plants can be done in an african tank, and for that matter, since you were already going to have a planted tank, i was suggesting that once it matures you could try putting some of your plants in your african tank, i dont give mine any special care at all, just got diff bulbs for cheap hoods... trust me if your plants grow like they should, you'll have extra you can try in your african tank.
    ohhh, ill take one of those, one of those, three of those, two of those.... doh... not enough tank....

Default ill give it a try and see what hppens

ill give it a try and see what happens, will the cichlids eat it though

so far mine really only eat the java moss out of all the plants listed, i just need to find a place i ca let it grow on a rock, then put it in, i think it would be ok then...

Java ferns grown so damn fast with proper fertilising, hardly any trouble, just watch out if your driftwood gets the water all murky :P
    Pomocanthus imperator
    Labidochromis caeruleus
    Carassius auratus auratus
    Corydoras aeneus
    Otoclinus affinis
    Betta Splendens
    Xiphophorus hellerii
    Poecilia reticulata