Thread: Symptoms of a sick Cichlid?

Default Symptoms of a sick Cichlid?

Hi, I have been trying to figure out what my fish have for a little while now. Some of my fish display some struggled breathing and clear stringy feces. These symptoms have been going on for about a month now. But strangely enough they all eat eagerly and show no signs of shyness. I treated all my tanks with Clout yesterday and they still seem to breath hard but the poo turned from clear and string to course and chalky looking. Does the breathing take time to go away? And i fed them today also is that ok? I also changed the water and put in some carbon after only a 24 hour treatment with Clout. Thanks for your help.

Regards, Danny

How long has the tank been set up?

I would think about doing a 50% water change and adding 1 tablespoon of aquarium or kosher salt per 10 gallons.
    The photocontest, like everything else is behind schedule. You get some links back today.

Thanks for your input. The tanks been running for a while now about 2 years. Have you ever used Clout before?

Check your ammonia and nitrite. Clout can kill off your bacteria and cause the tank to cycle again.
    Quote Originally Posted by maccichlid View Post
    at least when i smack you, it will be with a prize-worthy koi, not some common carp.

One treatment of clout wont be enough. Keep any eye on your tank parameters. Clout can be harsh on your bilogical filteration. Sounds like internal parasites. So clout was the right med to use. Follow the directions on the box. Treating for one day wont do the job. If you still have the problems, I would try Metronidazole. You want to soak their food in it, so the will get it in their stomachs. This should work really quick.

Is it true that 9 times out of 10 most all fish related diseases are parasitic?

No, I find that bacterial infections are more common in established tanks. Parasites are more common if you buy new fish regularly. That's one of the reasons we suggest quarantine of all new fish.
    Quote Originally Posted by maccichlid View Post
    at least when i smack you, it will be with a prize-worthy koi, not some common carp.