Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thread Necromancy

Default Thread Necromancy

Okay, if you're not a gamer, the title phrase may be confusing. Necromancy is the magic of raising the dead. Thread necromancy is bringing back a thread that has been dead for months, or even years, UNNECESSARILY.

For example, I've noticed a few new members raising very old threads, only to say "Yeah, that's a cool looking fish", or "I had one of those". It might be all right if you have genuine new, useful information to add, but "my buddy had one of those and it ate everything" doesn't really add anything if 4 others already posted that the fish is a big predator back when the post was new.

I've also seen some resurrected threads where the new guy asks a question about something that occurred a couple of YEARS ago. If you have a question, it is better to start a new thread - and more likely to get you an answer. And asking where someone got a fish that he had 2-3 years ago really isn't going to help you! Look at the date on the last post and use some common sense.

I'm not a moderator, but there's been such a rash of thread necromancy around here lately, I just had to state my opinion. It's not always bad, look at the Word Association thread - dead for a very long time, but now folks are having fun again.

As I've seen a number of people say, just my .02 cents.
    Happiness may be the door to Heaven,
    But Pleasure is not the Key.

The Think Tank, after many years, developed a sophisticated solution to your problem:

If you don't like a thread, don't click on it!
    Last edited by P-Did; 03-12-2008 at 01:39 PM.
    Two mbuna tanks (a 180G and a 75G).

Quote Originally Posted by P-Did View Post
    The Think Tank, after many years, developed a sophisticated solution to your problem:

If you don't like a thread, don't click on it!
    Someone mark this date. I believe I agree with P-Did about something not relating to fish. There is a first time for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Chromedome View Post
    For example, I've noticed a few new members raising very old threads, only to say "Yeah, that's a cool looking fish", or "I had one of those".
    ...or even better, post a question about something completely unrelated

It is good advice to check the last date of a thread before you post. It is better to start your own new thread than raise the dead or hijack an existing thread.
    I should use this space to promote the photo contest...but I can't think of anything clever...

ive noticed alot of these old threads coming back from the dead when someone votes on the poll.
    <3 Kitty

sorry guys... I was a part of the "thread necromancy". I must still be a forum noobie...
    Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

I'll add my 2 cents about this down the road i the future

I think he's talking about me... Are you talking about me? LOL I'm just trying to get my posts up so I raise old threads. J/K
    I'm /l/l@tT and I'm a Fishaholic.

OH shoot! i hit 1000 posts! sorry to steal the thread for a second
    <3 Kitty

I had a post once

I just happened to notice several from 4-5 different people recently, and it's a bit annoying to click on a thread title that you find interesting (note that, for P-Did and OC), only to learn that the thread is from 2005. I have no idea how many uninteresting titles are zombies, I'm only talking about the ones that I thought might be something to read. If you two have some magic way of telling the age of a thread without opening it, please, share it with us. I see an interesting title, the rollover text looks like something of interest, I'm going to open the thread. So your suggestion is contrary to my one request: use common sense.

And Kitty, congrats on a milestone. Glad it was in my thread! Do you get a cookie for that? Better, do I get a cookie for that?
    Happiness may be the door to Heaven,
    But Pleasure is not the Key.

There is no way to tell the age of a thread without entering.

Tabbed browsing makes it less painful. I usually wipe through and open each forum with a new post in a new tab (middle button), then each post in a new tab. If there is anything ancient that I notice I close the tab. Sure it can be annoying, however sometimes gold is dug up. There are so many threads here with good information that it can be good to be reminded of this. I do realize that often times one feels it was not worth their time. At least people are searching for answers, now if they would create a new thread and reference the old one we could all be happy. ;)
    The photocontest, like everything else is behind schedule. You get some links back today.

If you make a new thread on many forums, people will complain because the thread has been done before, and will holler "search function!" (I've seen mods in this forum do that multiple times)

But if you use the search function and add on to existing threads, people are crying for a new thread.

Like everything in life, you can't please everybody! LOL!
    Last edited by P-Did; 03-14-2008 at 12:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ocdreamin View Post
    Someone mark this date. I believe I agree with P-Did about something not relating to fish. There is a first time for everything.
    I'm trying to stay clear of politics here; but rest assured that a number of my views fall in line with yours. You can PM me if you want to discuss politics with a independant thinker who agrees with both sides of the podium, depending on the issue.
    Last edited by P-Did; 03-14-2008 at 12:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by P-Did View Post
    If you make a new thread on many forums, people will complain because the thread has been done before, and will holler "search function!" (I've seen mods in this forum do that multiple times)

But if you use the search function and add on to existing threads, people are crying for a new thread.
    I think that the search function is generally recommended for questions that have been asked and answered many times before, and the answer is already there, if one would just take the 2 minutes to look for it. Not because anyone is recommending the worlds oldest thread be brought back.
    If someone uses the search function and still doesn't find something that addresses their question, or if they really want to talk about their new fish: Perfect time for a new thread of their very own.
    Mom to crazyfishspeakerbabies 4/20/11 & 10/26/12 <3