Thread: Possible Longfin ABN spawn

aharris is offline Just when you thought it was
    safe to change the water . . . MOD!

Default Possible Longfin ABN spawn

Well, I picked up two bristnose plecos about two or three months ago. Both have been living in my 20L fry tank with some baby dolphins. The male is definitely a longfin, but the female isn't so hopefully she has the gene. Both are albino.

I've been swapping rocks out of the 55g and allowing the little 20L direct sunlight to keep the algae going strong in there. Seriously the tank has a decided greenish cast to it some days, but the pair do a pretty good job of keeping the glass clear.

I rotated a rock in and noticed some interesting activity out of the pair. They seemed to be interested in digging themselves in underneath it. I have a light layer of sand in the tank and very soon I noticed definite excavation piles. Recently, I've noticed that the female seems to have lost all interest in the underside of the rock and goes all around the tank like she used to, but the male has disappeared.

When I found him, he has confined himself to a narrow crevice between the rock and the bottom of the tank opening to the back side so I have to do some acrobatics to find him. Previously, I would often surprise him out and about when I would walk through the room. Now he occupies various positions in that small crevice and has for the last three days.

Hopefully, that means the pair has spawned and he's guarding eggs/fry.

If so they'll all be albino and they'll all have the longfin gene, but I'll have to wait and see if the female also has the longfin gene or not.
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbuster

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

congratulations
    yours sincerely,parham

nice one, im trying to breed longfin albino's and calicos right now, i have 5 calico pairs, and 3 albino pairs
    MY GALLERY BELOW

http://www.cichlidgallery.com/agez-240gal-american-tank

TOM- "I've got a Ford Maverick. Original. Wanna go for some carrot juice?"

seedy: lol...shrooms tast like styrofoam...
    mattV: you've eaten styrofoam??

Agez: what do you eat? (talking to toms bot)
    CIHCLID: CICHLID eats patterns.

MattV- "dhali's not dead. just out of focus."

heyguy74: Also, when dealing with larger fish that 1 inch of fish per gallon goes out the window. You cant have a 24" inch fish in a 24 gallon tank. Good luck.

BTW, i gotta warn you, the genetics are VERY unrelyable!!! you may have two longfin albinos (for example) and get short fin calico fry with the exeption of 5-10 assorted normal longfins and albino shortfins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    MY GALLERY BELOW

http://www.cichlidgallery.com/agez-240gal-american-tank

TOM- "I've got a Ford Maverick. Original. Wanna go for some carrot juice?"

seedy: lol...shrooms tast like styrofoam...
    mattV: you've eaten styrofoam??

Agez: what do you eat? (talking to toms bot)
    CIHCLID: CICHLID eats patterns.

MattV- "dhali's not dead. just out of focus."

heyguy74: Also, when dealing with larger fish that 1 inch of fish per gallon goes out the window. You cant have a 24" inch fish in a 24 gallon tank. Good luck.

aharris is offline Just when you thought it was
    safe to change the water . . . MOD!

Yeah, I've been looking around, and I see that these guys look like all sorts of fun.
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbuster

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

congrats on the hopefully spawn.. we want pics asap!! i bet baby bn plecos are absolutely ADORABLE!
    <3 Kitty