Thread: Best Nitrifying Bacteria IMO

Default Best Nitrifying Bacteria IMO

Hey all,

I first started cycling my tank with BioSpira and it worked quite well. The cost was about 16.99 to treat 90 gallons (used the whole thing and a very little amount on some smaller tanks.) I had only a few small fish in my 29g but the nitrites were still a little high. After adding 5 more fish, 2 of which are quite large for my tank (huge waste producers), the nitrites read WAY high. I knew something had to be done so I went to the LFS and they were out of BioSpira...

Well, it wasn't such a bad thing because they had a other product called "Fritz Zyme Turbo Start." Perhaps many have heard of it, not really a new product from what I hear.

Anyway, this stuff is AMAZING! In my opinion it worked WAY better than BioSpira. On Tuesday I had nitrite readings of about 3-4 ppm. Today is Thursday and it now reads 0.25.

I can't quite remember but I think it was about $23-24 to treat 150 gallons worth. I've only got a 29g and have probably used a little less than half of it by now.

Cons of BioSpira

• Cost more for less
    • Not as concentrated
    • Some ammonia remover products kill the patented bacteria
    • Comes in a no so convenient foil bag

Cons of Fritz Zyme Turbo Start
    • None that I know of anyway!

I am not familiar with this particular product, but the cost difference is only $0.02 cents per gallon.
    "Cichlids aren't aggressive, they are territorial. Aggression is a response to inadequate territory for their breeding and feeding needs."

"A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

My Tanks

I may not have the prices exactly right, sorry bout' that. Live Aquaria charges $22.49 for 3oz (treats 90 gallons). Everything Fishy charges $24 for 4oz of Turbo Start (treats 120 gallons).

Here's the link for Fritz Zyme Turbo Start.

They've been around for 40 years and have been used commercially for some time.

Not to stray the topic, but existing seeded bio-media for free wins.
    The photocontest, like everything else is behind schedule. You get some links back today.

Quote Originally Posted by Glaive View Post
    Not to stray the topic, but existing seeded bio-media for free wins.
    Have to agree on this one!

Great! What would you charge to overnight me some of that stuff on ice because I don't have any!

Well although i would have to agree in that seeded (free) bacteria is the best, if you dont have access to any, I have had excelent success (more so then with bio-spiro or stress-zyme) with Stability by Seachem. Now as soon as I get the time and funds I plan on starting a few 10 gallon tanks with gold fish and measuring the results, after jumpstarting the bio filter with several products including most those named in this forum. Im excited beacsue its such a hotly contested subject.
    I dont know who gets more joy out of my tank, me or my rottweiler!