Thread: Possible Bloat?

Default Possible Bloat?

29 gallon (all are juvenile and just recently picked up the Demasoni)
    3 Yellow Labs
    1 Demasoni

Yesterday while feeding I noticed the Demasoni spitting food, wasn't eating and he was also hiding. The Labs seemed perfectly fine and still do.

I immediately added 3 tablespoons of aquarium salt and about an hour later, the demasoni started moving around more and having bowel movements. Just to be safe I picked up some Jungle Labs parasite clear and added at full strength. That was about 24 hours ago.

Today the demasoni seems to be back to normal, swimming around, chasing etc.

Could this have been bloat or am I just being paranoid?

Is it safe to start feeding them or should I wait a full 6-7 days?

Sounds like you may be a bit paranoid...but better safe than sorry I suppose.

Remember that most Cichlids "chew and spew" their food several times before "swallowing".
    I should use this space to promote the photo contest...but I can't think of anything clever...

Well, he was acting pretty weird.. spit the food, didn't eat anything and even let my dom male lab chase him off, which doesn't usually happen. He didn't seem interested at feeding time. Also stopped swimming and stayed under a rock for a while. Other times, he is constantly swimming.

Just found this in another thread. Hope I'm not going to experience the same thing.

P-Did in this thread said:

As you've heard before if you've read my posts; I had the same problem. My theory is that these fish need to be kept in large groups with a high female to male ratio to ensure long term success. Others on this board will tell you they had luck keeping a single one (I had success for about five months with a single until the other fish outgrew it and gave it a beat down while I was in Maui).

This guy who goes to the same LFS as me is a long term breeder and club member, and even he had the same problem; his theory is that they don't do well if they're not the dominate fish in the tank. Needless to say, when you buy a demasoni, you're accepting a large risk of stress induced internal infections. I say this because of all the people I know, many with years of experience and success, have problems with these fish.
    He is, so far, the dominate fish. I wouldn't think the labs could ever pick on him, even if they were a few inches bigger. Correct?
    Last edited by cichlidfanatic; 10-23-2007 at 03:34 PM.

Well...You never know about any particular fish, however the demasoni may very well dominate the "labs".

I've also had bad luck with P. demasoni and internal infections...

My main concern would be the size of your tank. I know some people get away with it, but I don't like Mbuna in tanks under 4 foot.
    I should use this space to promote the photo contest...but I can't think of anything clever...

Quote Originally Posted by Seedy View Post
    My main concern would be the size of your tank. I know some people get away with it, but I don't like Mbuna in tanks under 4 foot.
    I agree with you there.. do plan to get a 75g when they get bigger.