Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeder fish ?

Default Feeder fish ?

Ok so this is just a question to see what everyone feeds their Cichlids, now I feed a few different types of foods (my fish are super picky) They really like the flakes, only my jacks like the pellets, and my smaller Cichlids kinda like normal feeder goldfish, But Im wondering what kind of live fish they might enjoy more ? I have heard that they may like the Neon Tetras, but I dont want to try something else without getting advice first, anyone know what other fish they might like ?

What type of cichlids? I would not feed feeder fish at all, as they carry all sorts of gross stuff.

For my mbuna I feed NLS pellets, zucchini, spinach, oranges, and shelled peas. My Jack Dempseys and firemouths get NLS pellets, krill, black worms, and shrimp pellets.

feeder goldfish are way to high in fat content and cary all kinds of "gross stuff"
    guppies seem to be a favourite. and are kind of self sustaining. but still feeders are not usualy a great Idea IMHO.

I have two Jacks, 4 Blue Jewels, and one Red Devil, sorry I put their non latin name, I have heard guppies too, and as to the goldfish feeders, I wont feed them the feeders anymore, Yes shrimp they love, but I dont want to give it to much, I like to give them a variety

IF I were to feed fry/feeders to my fish, it would only be ones I raised myself.
    The feeders you may buy in a pet store - who knows the conditions of raising/shipping and so on.
    135 Gallon: Cyrtocara moorii, Labidochromis caeruleus
    90 Gallon: Turquoise Discus, Skunk Corydoras, Cardinal Tetras
    90 Gallon: Yellow Lab grow-out tank
    Fish tanks - betcha can't have just one!

ya actually I did just that, I bought tons of guppies and Im just gonna raise the fry myself, that way I know they are healthy

Sounds good. You probably didn't have to buy tons - 2M and 4-6F would get the ball rolling in no time! But you are going to feed your fish more than just guppies, right? 'S not nutritionally sound.
    Don't anthropomorphize animals.
    They really hate that.

aharris is offline Just when you thought it was
    safe to change the water . . . MOD!

Yep, as mentioned, if you must feed live food, grow it yourself. Besides, it's an excuse for you to have more tanks.

Also, vary the diet. A varied diet is much better all the way around than just one item all the time.
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbuster

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Default reply

Quote Originally Posted by punman View Post
    IF I were to feed fry/feeders to my fish, it would only be ones I raised myself.
    The feeders you may buy in a pet store - who knows the conditions of raising/shipping and so on.

I totally agree,well put.
    Currently have no set up as of yet, I'll get around to it.

"Does your Patriotism stop at words?"

"Positive actions never have to plead their case!"

"The right to bare arms depends on what state you live in."

"Being FAIR but FIRM might not make you popular, but will earn you respect!"

"One who gets whatever they want, is one that knows the true definition of ANGLES."

"Do Parents exist in this world anymore, or does everyone want to be cool"

New Life Spectrum (NLS) Cichlid Formula, New Life Spectrum Growth Formula, Dainichi Cichlid Blend, Bloodworm, Brine Shrimp, and Wardley Essentials Premium Cichlid Flakes.

how do you guys feed oranges to your cichlids?...i just cant seem to find a clean and easy way how to...
    gmont all the way

nothing tried...nothing gained.

I have a separate tank I breed guppies and ghost shrimp in to give mine treats.

Aquarium fish are a lot like dogs when it comes to their diets. The dietary habits of these creatures are largely based on how their human counterparts feed them. Ex: If you feed your dog more table scraps then its not going to need/want as much of its more nutritional pelleted food. If you feed your fish worms all the time they are not going to want the more nutritional pellet. The trick to getting these so called 'picky' eaters to eat anything and everything you throw in the tank is to feed a smaller amount and less often. Sounds simple.

There are lots of wild fish that will gobble up a pellet without ever seeing one before in its life. That's because wild fish are always hungry.

A good way to make sure the guppies will be a healthy meal is to take out the ones you plan to feed and put them in separate tank for a few days. During this time feed them heavily many times a day to ensure they have a good load of nutrients inside them when you finally use them as food. The only problem is that you will run out of guppies real fast when you decide to feed. Most hobbyists cannot keep a large enough colony of guppies to feed them everyday. A sustainable supply of feeder guppies for just one 5" Oscar would take probably twice as much water as the Oscar if you want to feed a couple times a week. To give these fish time to grow large enough you'd need hundreds of them. Don't let that stop you from having some fun though.

feeder fish suck my oscer is dieing cause of ich i cannot cure...

This post is very ver very old.

I was quite shocked to see it pop it's way to the top again.

and since it is here. why not.

first off. if ich is all you got from feeders. count your blessings.

and as you were feeding your fish feeders, one could hazzard a guess that there may be other problems as well.

over the next 2 days bring the temp up to 90*, vacume the tank out ever 1-2 days.

try and do 4 x 25% water changes this week,
    and if still needed at the end of the week, start adding 1 tbs salt/ 5 gallons vacumed (salt the new water)

ich is cureable. and does not need to be the end. however there is a lot of bad stuff that can happen as a result of feeding your fish doughnuts.... I meen feeders. I wish you the best of luck

remember CLEAN water is one of the easiest ways to prevent and treat the vast magority of problems.