Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Much Will My Free Tank Cost Me?

Default How Much Will My Free Tank Cost Me?

Here's the story. An ex-coworker saw pictures of my Wife and I's fish room and decided to donate her unused tank to us. It was a wonderful gift as the tank is a 4 foot Oceanic 75 gallon with stand and lights! There was also 2 shopping bags filled with aquarium "odds n ends" including 1 working powerhead...The bulb/ballast combo on the lights may or may not work...I think it needs a new 4ft bulb.

Now...I'm going to set this tank up for my Haplotaxodon (It will at least buy me a little more time before they need a 6 footer) , Altolamprologus comp. reverse trio and Synodontis decorus (He'll like the bigger footprint too, but eventually probably also needs a 6 footer)...I don't plan on buying any new fish at the moment, but it also frees up space for some new Tangs when I am ready for them.

So far we have purchased 250 lbs of limestone for $27.12 USD (including tax). This is probably more than I will use in the new tank, but is good to have around. Here are the rocks soaking in the tub...they still have a lot of cleaning to go!

Now,with all that rock, I suppose I better have something to prevent pressure points on the glass bottom so we also purchased a piece of diffuser panel ($11.83 USD)to lay over the bottom of the tank.

Total cost so far: $38.95

Filtration is going to be an issue, I have a few smaller spare HOB filters, but because this one is going in the bedroom I think I want to use a cannister and powerheads. Normally, I'd spring for an Eheim Pro-2 or Pro-3 however things aren't "normal" right now for me, so I'm considering one of the larger Rena filters for it...

Substrate should be cheap and easy, I'm going to use "play sand" and a little "quickrete" brand gravel... (just the gravel not the cement!)
    I should use this space to promote the photo contest...but I can't think of anything clever...

sweet deal, good luck with the new tank. why not get a fluval - i think they're cheaper than xp's?
    Fish are cool, they stay in school

So far so good .My estimated guess on how much is, more than you anticipate(it always is)

Quote Originally Posted by malawi haps View Post
    So far so good .My estimated guess on how much is, more than you anticipate(it always is)
    It is my experience that anything DIY (from landscaping to auto repair) will always cost 2X what you expect and take 3X as long...

I should use this space to promote the photo contest...but I can't think of anything clever...

Quote Originally Posted by ATG204 View Post
    sweet deal, good luck with the new tank. why not get a fluval - i think they're cheaper than xp's?
    Fluval seems higher priced from what I can tell...but if you know of a good deal I'm "all ears"!

XP3's are going for $90 at Big Al's and Petsmart right now...
    Quote Originally Posted by Glaive View Post
    I want hybrid Jack Dempseys with friggin' lasers.

For a temporary measure what are the specs on the powerhead?
    The photocontest, like everything else is behind schedule. You get some links back today.

Quote Originally Posted by Glaive View Post
    For a temporary measure what are the specs on the powerhead?
    Well...I think it was made by Whisper...It is branded with "1140"

Is it a penguin 1140?

If so it is 300 gph, a contain filled with bio-media attached would be a good start.
    A 3-4 inch abs pipe with two tomcaps makes a good container, of course there is the old pop bottle.
    The photocontest, like everything else is behind schedule. You get some links back today.

I think the powerhead could be a penguin...from playing with it in the tub, I can tell it moves some decent water. I'll probably DIY a simple "quick filter" for it...I think I'm only going to have to purchase a Rena XP3 and possibly a second heater. I don't trust the one that came with it, and I don't think my "spare" has enough watts...That's another thing on my "list" to check...

Been setting up rocks in the tank. I think I've got it the way I want. My wife is washing gravel/sand. I'll get some pics up soon.

looks good so far seedy!
    <3 Kitty

Looks nice! Wish I could get a freebie like that.
    -75 mbuna tank-180 marine reef-27 cube marine reef-55 aggressive marine softy reef-10 planted community-

Sweeeeeet!
    "Cichlids aren't aggressive, they are territorial. Aggression is a response to inadequate territory for their breeding and feeding needs."

"A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

My Tanks

Looking good my friend.