Thread: Sexing electric yellow cichlids

Default Sexing electric yellow cichlids

I just tried to sex a fish for the first time with my electric yellow cichlid. Anyways it has the black stripe on the dorsal fin like males but no black on its other fins, i forgot where else males have them. Anyways i am pretty sure its a male and i wanted practice for when i get some more for them to be females. Well first off i had to remove every rock and thing out of the aquarium in order to get him and i think i got more stressed than he did. I finnaly caught him and a second pair of hands held a flashlight and magnifying glass. When i was looking i saw the anus i think pretty well, but the vent took me a little while to find. I finally saw it but it looked like the circles were one big one small, is this possible or do i just need more practice on sexing fish?????????????????????????????????????

One big and one small sounds like a girl....
    "Cichlids aren't aggressive, they are territorial. Aggression is a response to inadequate territory for their breeding and feeding needs."

"A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

My Tanks

But doesnt the black stripe mean its a male??? Also the vent, i think its the vent, was a darker color that the anus. Is this any sign of if its a male or female??

Originally posted by BBB
    But doesnt the black stripe mean its a male??? Also the vent, i think its the vent, was a darker color that the anus. Is this any sign of if its a male or female??
    Not necessarily, on venting, one hole will be a different size then the other hole. Same size holes, male
    37 gallon 1 Penguin HOB
    1 Electric Yellow (san Andreas)
    1 Yellow tailed Acei
    1 Lamprologus tretacephaleus (Neo)

125gallon/1 fluval4/2 Aquaclear500
    1 Pleco
    3 Firemouths
    1 Rainbows
    1 jack
    1 nic

75 gallon 2 Aquaclear500

2 Borleyis Kadango
    9 sulpher crested lithobates

10 gallon
    10 gallons of air

Right i know that and i think one hole was bigger than the other, but i was told and have read that the black stripe is on males and a fainter, duller stripe is on females. Actually the stripe on the cichlid is actually more of a grey now just looking at it. I will try sexing it again, or should i wait since i just did it last night and seemed to stress it quite a bit.

I have read many times that the black stripe is not an indication on the sex of the fish. Only venting is the way to tell.

this is the website i always use as a guideline when i want to vent a fish. they have plenty of pics to go by

http://www.fishhead.com/articles/ventsex.htm
    <3 Kitty

How old is my electric yellow cichlid that is 2 inches or so?? Is this too early to sex??

iv found out by my last 6 yellow lab that i gave away an the 7 iv got now that the anul fin is a good way of telling.
    if its male its got black on it an if its female its sometime's got light or no black or a little black an a blue shineon it.
    so let me no how this works for you.:;):

Vent sexing-
    If both holes are the same then it is a male.
    If both holes are different its a female.
    2 inches is almost impossible to tell,,,,after the female passes its first eggs then this becomes a lot clearer,,,but then again it IS clear after the eggs are expelled and the fish is holding!
    On the flip side,females that have spawned in which you are buying and are not sure of their sex,can be vented,,,yes it takes some practicing.
    Coloration in Labidochromis caerulius- males have black ventral fins (the ones at the front bottom) the females are clearer/lighter or white.
    Spawning males in some cases (yes even my wild fish) get a dusty blackish (beard) around the face area.

In this pic you can clearly see the male in front left has black ventral fins while the female,ahead (right) and immediatley beside him has clear/white fins,and this is what they look like today. (pic was taken August 1st 2007)
    These fish are wild,and are from Lions Cove.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,Larry

Larry, I have several females that look more like your male than the female as far as dark coloration on the ventral fins..... I agree this is a tendency, but like egg spots it is unreliable. My fish are not wild, but they appear to have strong genetics. I still maintain that the dark coloration is strain dependent.....
    "Cichlids aren't aggressive, they are territorial. Aggression is a response to inadequate territory for their breeding and feeding needs."

My Tanks

Yellow labs are one of the harder cichlids to sex. I have what I thought was a male but he wound up holding eggs. Kinda interesting. He has dark ventral fins as well as the anal fin with one egg spot. Eggs spots mean nothing really. If you look at the shape of the anal fin and dorsal fin for males they should be more pointed then females. I took this into consideration and it indeed is a female. She is about 3 1/2 inches in length so the fins should def show some pointyness but they are round.
    75 Gallon Malawi/Tang Tank
    2 Frontosa
    1 Aulonocara stuartgranti "Chipoka"
    3 Dragon Blood Peacock (1 Adult 2 Juv)
    1 Red Fin Borleyi
    1 Cyrtocara moorii
    3 Clown Loach
    1 Botia Loach
    1 Protomelas sp. "Steveni Taiwan"
    2 Dimidiochromis compressiceps (Malawi Eye-Biter)
    1 Aulonocara jacobfreib "Lemon Jake"
    1 Nimbochromis fuscotaeniatus
    1 Lamprolongus leleupi (Mean as Satan)
    1 Haplochromis sp. "ruby green"
    1 Albino Bristlenose Pleco
    --------------------------------

Larry, I have several females that look more like your male than the female as far as dark coloration on the ventral fins..... I agree this is a tendency, but like egg spots it is unreliable.
    Yes,I should have said "generally" this way works.
    I realize coming across wild fish to buy is rare!
    The ones I get in at the store are very good quality and this coloration on the ventrals seems to work for me.
    I haven't had the opportunity to suddenly find a 'would be' male holding. So I cannot comment on that,,,,well,not yet anyways!
    I still maintain that the dark coloration is strain dependent.....
    Yes I would agree.

Cheers,Larry
    Website is back online- http://www.malawicichlidimports.ca/

I have a camera shy female here that has such dark fins and so many eggspots (fins are round though) I would never have suspected it to be female..... if it wasn't for the mouthful of fry that is...

Cheers!

My Tanks

Sound like I'm not the only one who's suffered the "black fin" theory, or the "eggspot" theory. UGH! As long as they don't kill each other, I'm good. But I would like to think I have 2 females and one male.