Thread: Oscar floating on top cant keep upright laying on side

Default Oscar floating on top cant keep upright laying on side

I have a 13 inch Oscar and in the last two weeks he cant swim upright really has to fight it. He is floating side ways on top of water. I have tried antibiotic, internal parasite, and water treatment. Each time he seems to recover for a few days and the right back to the same problem.

HELP HELP HELP! THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Do you defrost your frozen foods before feeding it to the fish? Does this behavior occur after the feeding of frozen foods?

Is the color of the fish normal?

Will the fish react to a dip net or other stimulation? Will it try to get away from your hand?

Is the fish's body swollen at all?

Have you tested the water for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?
    I should use this space to promote the photo contest...but I can't think of anything clever...

This just started about two weeks ago. He seems not to be eating at all. only frozen shrimp and served frozen.

Yes he responds to the net or the hand but you can tell he really is strggling to try and get down in the aquarium to get away and even just to swim. He is primarily stay on top of the water with parts of him exposed or he floats on his side at the top. Always in the same corner.

His color appears to be normal.

Water tested but not for amonia. Water maybe a little on the hard side but nitrate and nitrite all in good range.

is belly did seam to be swollen but after giving him anti parasite food it seems to have maybe gone down. could be because he is not really eating.

I cant figure it out and everytime I go to store to speak to them they think he has something different then when I give him the water treatment or the food and he seems to act ok for a few days to a week and then he is up in the corner again or floating on his side. I have done antibiotic treatment. Water treatment internal parasite food. I just dont know what to do.

Thanks

Originally posted by charmoll
    This just started about two weeks ago. He seems not to be eating at all. only frozen shrimp and served frozen.

Feeding the food still frozen is probably causing the problem. Isolate the fish and raise the temperature to 86+, see if this helps. Going forward, be sure to defrost your frozen food before feeding it.

My source for diagnosis is TFH publication "Handbook of Fish Diseases"-Dieter Untergasser
    I should use this space to promote the photo contest...but I can't think of anything clever...

Could you give me a little more explanation? I gave him some peas last night and did a major water change. With the water change I found quit a few guppie bodies. Apparently when I put the last guppies in there they must have died quite fast. I wont do the frozen shrimp anymore NOR THE GUPPIES! He is still not eating and I am hoping he will poop soon. UGH!

Charmoll, The reason Dieter Untergasser says not to feed frozen foods still frozen is something he calls "undercooling". This is not explained in the book, however I am willing to take a stab at what might be happening. I suspect the frozen food may cause the air filled swim bladder to contract (due to temperature change) too rapidly causing an injury to the swim bladder where the fish is no longer able to keep its buoyancy causing it to float to the top of the tank and struggle....

The frozen food is great as long as you defrost it first. I let the food defrost in a cup of tank water before feeding to my fish.

Very interesting as one of the problems I thought he could have was a bladder problem. I will certainly do this in the future. I believe we got the tank to 84 last night. Would you suggest I go higher at all? What do I do to get him back on track? I have not noticed any poop. Should I keep up with the peas. This was suggested that perhaps he has a bubble or a blockage. Boy oh boy this fish stuff is hard. But you get so attached when your have them from a lil bitty boy to a big ole monster. I will say he is a tough guy to hang with me through my lack of knowledge sure would hate to lose him now. I am so grateful for your input thank you sincerely.

8. Unhappy Same problem, NO FROZEN FOOD

I have the same exact problem happening to my baby Oscar. Hes only like 2 inches long and keeps floating to the top. If I pet him he floats down, but he acts like it hurts or is a struggle to stay underwater. I am very worried about him. Please help.

Sounds like a swim bladder infection.

all the dead guppies may not be helping your water conditions out either

Quote Originally Posted by charmoll View Post
    I have a 13 inch Oscar and in the last two weeks he cant swim upright really has to fight it. He is floating side ways on top of water. I have tried antibiotic, internal parasite, and water treatment. Each time he seems to recover for a few days and the right back to the same problem.

HELP HELP HELP! THANK YOU THANK YOU!
    YES! Charmoll i have save problem my oscar if floating on top of lest side of tank. he only moves if i keep light off for a period of time he moves if his tail is touched by hand. he trys to swim down but he floats up by force. I can't do anything he floats up. he doesnt move and he keeps his left fin out of water. he doesnt open his mouth to breath but his gills move. im wondering if he is dying. he is a 8-11 year old fish.