Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: texas cichlid or bloodParrot X Convict hybrid

Question texas cichlid or bloodParrot X Convict hybrid

texas cichlid or bloodParrot X Convict hybrid

pet store told me texas cichlid others tell me bloodParrot X Convict hybrid. you tell me
    Attached Images Attached Images

i had some research on parrot breeding that was disappointing,i'd several BPxConvict hybrids and grew them up from wrigglers to adults...i'm 99.99% sure that your fish is a BPXConvict hybrid...mine were too aggressive and i couldn't bear with them anyway,be careful they canbe so aggressive and nasty...
    yours sincerely,parham

thank you! im glad to know

To be honest, I don't see anything in that fish to suggest a hybrid with Blood Parrot. The head shape and deep body are fairly typical of Cryptoheros (or Archocentrus, as some prefer) spilurum, and the coloration resembles some of the new populations that are coming out of Honduras as cutteri, which may be resurrected soon. I would be hesitant to call it a hybrid at this time without a lot of research on the new varieties of Cryptoheros that are available.
    Happiness may be the door to Heaven,
    But Pleasure is not the Key.

thanks for the info

very pretty fish whatever it is

thanks i know for sure now that one of them is in fact a covict but the other the one i have a pic of on here still cant tell yet

Hey, If you go to flowerhornusa.com, and go into one of the forums, I can guarantee they can ID it for you. It doesn't look like it has parrot in it, but I could be wrong.

thanks ill do that

i had tons of this fish,...i'm sure it's a BPXconvict hybrid.i'm saynig this by my experience i've done it and had quite same fish as result...if you don't believe you can do it yourself...pick a female BP and a male convict and try yourself...
    Last edited by parhaam; 05-09-2007 at 02:44 PM.
    yours sincerely,parham

and let me to ad... some of them will start to changing color by age. among over 150 fries that i raised them there were around 20-30 fishes that had started to changing their colors...they lost almost all of their strips and also their grey pigments and that gold-yellow hue that you can see it on your fish was being more and more distinguishable by any day that was passing...this changes were beginning from "underbelly"area by starting a grey pigment losing process and this decolorization was starting to develope to an upward direction... some fishes were turning to a quite gold-yellow and some of them to gold-yellow with a dark grey[or even black]shoulder.
    yours sincerely,parham

parhaam, if you have any photos of the BPxCon hybrids you had, it would be possible for everyone to make their own comparison. Actually breeding fish to repeat the experiment would take months, or years. There are too many new populations of Cryptoheros being collected in the last few years for me to just write the fish off as a hybrid based on someone's word alone. The July, 2006, TFH had an article about collecting in Costa Rica, and one of the photos of a wild nigrofasciatus shows a very yellow fish, so color is not an indication of hybridization.

I'm not saying it's impossible; heaven knows that convicts are pretty much willing to breed with anything wet. However, Blood Parrots look basically the same as Amphilophus species (Red Devils and Midas relatives), but with the spinal deformity associated with "Balloon" body in many other fish. The dark markings on the fish in question do not resemble those of juvenile Blood Parrots I've seen. In fact, they look like a simple nigrofasciatus, now that I've had time to do some additional research.
    Happiness may be the door to Heaven,
    But Pleasure is not the Key.

1)i don't have any pic of them because i didn't like them and theywasn't enough important for me to catch a photo of them...they were just a part of research and i thinked about the last results not especially about them...
    2) the fish in the photo is quite similar to one of the best raised fries...i really shocked when i saw that pic!i can remember all of those nasty fishes.
    3)another matter... any one of results hadn't any significant thing similar with their mother,no similar mouthshape, and not about head shape...some of them had wide bodies and some had fat bodies...but many of them had that yellow hue under grey pigments...
    4)we don't know what exactly have created those BPs it 's the secret of main breeders...but many of result fries had deformity in strip shapes that was made some dots(or blotchs) in the central part of their bodies
    sorry i havenothing to prove my speech and don't expect you to believe it...but you can think about it...just wanted to help
    Last edited by parhaam; 05-10-2007 at 02:43 PM.
    yours sincerely,parham

its an archocentrus centrarchus, looks similar to a convict, but more gold.

thanks for info