Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need help on my overly Aggressive Cichlid

Default I need help on my overly Aggressive Cichlid

I have this Tropheops red top Chilumba. Everything was fine until yesterday. It all began after my katale's bred. He started to chase the biggest female non stop until today. She is very weak and much fin damage. But he seems to concentrate on her and not on the other two females. I had to put the male into another tank. Anyone have any suggestions on how to solve this? I want to eventually put him back in the main tank (maybe more rocks?) I have a 75gallon with 23 mbuna total. The new 16 fish I added has only been in the tank for 5 days. Thank you for your help.

aharris is offline Just when you thought it was
    safe to change the water . . . MOD!

OK, so are these fish the new ones? How long has the tropheops been there as opposed to the fish he's chasing? When you added the new fish, did you re-arrange everything or just add them?
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbuster

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

I've had success with rearranging rocks. Also I like to add fish in the evening & go as far as putting a dark sheet over the tank to let the everyone find their way around without the more aggressive fish targeting one or another.

I've heard a lot of stories about Tropheops just being nightmares. I'd agree with rearrange the rocks while he's out and then put him back. If that doesn't work, returning him might be your best option.

every time he is mean, poke him with a net. doesn;t help for very long though...

I would liek to say this is a joke. but afraid not.

Originally posted by Northernblades
    every time he is mean, poke him with a net. doesn;t help for very long though...

I would liek to say this is a joke. but afraid not.
    LOL!! I see I'm not the only one!

I feel better now

The 4 chilumba were added at the same time as the other 12. I had 7 in there already. Maybe if i got more rocks or hiding places for the female to hide. He's always on the hunt for her. I bet he's like this because he saw the katale breed. He's probably just too horney.

Ok, then, put the male in time-out which you've already done. Re-arrange the rocks, add more if you think you need more hiding places. Re-introduce the other fish, but leave the hyper -aggressive male in time-out for up to a week. This lets the other fish arrange their own territories. Then, re-introduce the aggressive male. He'll be the new kid on the block with no personal space, and the aggressiveness from the others may calm him down and put him in his place as he finds his niche. If not, and he keeps doing what he's doing, you may have to trade him in.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

or poke him with a bigger net! LOL

When I have an overly aggressive fish I scold him sternly, point and say NO, NO, bad fish....if that doesn't work I poke at him with a net....and if that doesn't work I try to peg him with a medium sized food pellet.
    =========
    Been out of sight and out of (my) mind for a while. Thinking of getting another tank or 4 and rebuilding the fish room.
    =========
    check out my webpage, not fish related but a great way to kill some time! www.buenojoe.com

So, would putting him in another tank make him not want to kill the female later on also? The guy who sold it to me says the female is ripe to breed, so thats why it only chases her when theres two others. He leaves the other fish in the tank alone...except the male yellow lab. He puts a beating on him always

Well, it may or it may not. It doesn't matter if she's ripe to breed. if she doesn't want to, she won't, and he can and will chase her to death. I would suggest more hiding places and maybe more females to attract his attention off of her possibly.

And I would keep him in time out for the week re-arranging like I suggested. There is a theory that the hormones that are released when fish spawn can circulate in our tanks and sometimes cause a cascade of other breeding activity. That would explain why you would get no spawning activity and all of a sudden all the females, regardless of species, spawn within a few days of the first laying her eggs.

It might be that in a few days, she will want to spawn. But even if she does, he may still harass her to death. I say play it safe.

Thank u aharris you really helped me out. I was going to return the chilumba after about 2-3 weeks, will this be ok? I am going to divide the 20 gallon tank with him and the other side a brooding female mbenji. I'm getting 4 holey rocks...so hopefully that will give plenty of hiding places. Have a good one

Well, if you can get him to work out and play pseudo nice, then keep them, but you may have to do some work, and even then, it may not work.

Time-outs with re-arranging territories
    More females
    More hiding places

These are things you can try to get him to work out so you can keep him. If he isn't aggressive to your other fish, there's chance that more females and better cover might do the trick, but in the end, it's your call.